• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these trousers too wide?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I like the fuller trouser look but wonder if these are taking it a bit too far? I noticed Derek Guy made a Twitter post recently showing a guy with clearly clownishly-large trousers and the caption "Too many Derek Guy tweets" and I wonder if these are heading in that direction?
(Obviously they need hemming and a press).

PXL_20240409_144005363.jpg
original_ac3e112d-7404-45e1-9ffc-835e4e607876_PXL_20240409_134652295.jpg

Found the pic DG posted for context:

GK_tADJboAA3YYU.jpeg

Last edited:

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the fuller trouser look but wonder if these are taking it a bit too far? I noticed Derek Guy made a Twitter post recently showing a guy with clearly clownishly-large trousers and the caption "Too many Derek Guy tweets" and I wonder if these are heading in that direction?
(Obviously they need hemming and a press).

View attachment 2168387
View attachment 2168385

Found the pic DG posted for context:

View attachment 2168391
The 2nd pic seems borderline OK, but not the others and I like wide leg trousers.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion - when you're trying to incorporate something this dramatic it's not enough to simply swap those wide legged trousers in for a regular pair of chinos and expect them to look good. The whole outfit has to be different, otherwise the trousers look obviously mismatched with the whole look. The upper part of the outfit with the braided belt is pretty standard 'normcore' stuff.

Also, I would never cuff or roll up trouser legs that wide.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
My opinion - when you're trying to incorporate something this dramatic it's not enough to simply swap those wide legged trousers in for a regular pair of chinos and expect them to look good. The whole outfit has to be different, otherwise the trousers look obviously mismatched with the whole look. The upper part of the outfit with the braided belt is pretty standard 'normcore' stuff.

Also, I would never cuff or roll up trouser legs that wide.
Thanks for the input. And yes, I've only rolled them because I am not sure if I'm keeping or returning them yet.
I get what you are saying about top and bottom half looking in synch. Which is why I had chosen more loosely fitting shirts (particularly the lighter green linen in the 2nd pic) as I was going for a more generally loose-fitting look. But obviously not enough so, for your tastes!
I think I will return them and go for the Casatlantic Tangier trousers instead, which has the same kind of loose-fitting relaxed look I'm going for, without being quite so extreme!

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. And yes, I've only rolled them because I am not sure if I'm keeping or returning them yet.
I get what you are saying about top and bottom half looking in synch. Which is why I had chosen more loosely fitting shirts (particularly the lighter green linen in the 2nd pic) as I was going for a more generally loose-fitting look. But obviously not enough so, for your tastes!
I think I will return them and go for the Casatlantic Tangier trousers instead, which has the same kind of loose-fitting relaxed look I'm going for, without being quite so extreme!
Where are these trousers from? Thanks. BTW, I'm a huge fan of the Casatlantic Tangier and Morgador.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo. I am aware that they are more "fashion" than probably suits the tastes of many here!
P.S. I love Uniqlo - I have lots of Uniqlo tops (shirts, turtlenecks, & t-shirts), but rarely try their trousers because they are too short for me.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought one pair of Transatlantic El Jadidas. Fit was ok for cheap khakis (requiring some adjustments to eliminate extreme bagginess and get that high waist to fit properly in the seat (they’re not jeans). I spent about half the cost of the trousers at my tailor. But they’re cheap so worth it.

The dealbreaker is only one back pocket on that model—and only on the right side (I prefer left). I may try one of the other styles with side adjusters, button fly and two back pockets.

Last edited:

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Where are these trousers from? Thanks. BTW, I'm a huge fan of the Casatlantic Tangier and Morgador.
How do the Tangiers fit on the waist? I'm usually between 32 and 34 (so 33 I guess!) but they only have the 34 in stock. I've ordered them and am hoping they will be ok as shipping, import and return fees will be quite high if they aren't a good fit. Although presumably having the waist reduced by an inch or so will be possible. And I'm anticipating I'll probably wear them with a belt (I like belts).

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do the Tangiers fit on the waist? I'm usually between 32 and 34 (so 33 I guess!) but they only have the 34 in stock. I've ordered them and am hoping they will be ok as shipping, import and return fees will be quite high if they aren't a good fit. Although presumably having the waist reduced by an inch or so will be possible. And I'm anticipating I'll probably wear them with a belt (I like belts).
I'm a 30 and I got a 30x32. They are a perfect fit around the waist. The hips are a bit big, but I'm fine with that. I always wear a belt and they look great.

Lofi_Moby

Reaction score
In modern mens fashion, it seems things are moving away from more fitted styles to more loose clothing. With that being said, I frequently see more loose shirts/sweaters/jackets and pants or shorts that are more fitting. Personally, I think baggy pants almost always looks lazy, baggy tops, not neccessarily

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads