• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apparel Arts images - Fall 1936 advance edition

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Just a taste of the contents of the copy of Apparel Arts I acquired not so long ago - apologies for the fact that the scans are not quite as good as I have wished - I will be uploading better versions once I have had more practice!

This is volume VI, number IV A, Advance Fall 1936, the focus of which was to assist retailers in compiling and displaying their new season stock with - as you will see - a particular focus on the "back to school" market (there are some interesting features on displays, advertising and shop fitting which I hope to feature in due course.)

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg

[x-posted with other fora]

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for these and post more please!

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
My pleasure! It's interesting that the illustrations accompanying the back to school spread are much more impressionistic than the Apparel Arts/Esquire norm - this is I think because the focus of the feature, as should become clearer as I get the chance to post more of it, is as much on the "how" of selling as the "what" - although AA are careful to stress in the copy that the fashions featured in the campaign must be right, or "the entire campaign is wrong."

Incidentally, the hat cut off from the fourth image is the homburg, as mentioned as an "important note for fall" on p.49.

jmacak

Reaction score
Cool pics.

At first, it looked like the two guys in formal dress were holding hands. Ha.

-j

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How interesting to see that the Vass U last dates back all the way to 1936 (see image 9 on p1.)

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How interesting to see a single breasted with large peak lapels in1936...

It only proves that fashion is an on-going wheel of fortune making very trendy one minute and outdated the next..

Mybe if Style Forum was alive and kicking in 1936 , in a different format of course, we will have the same battle between moderns and classics as we do have now..

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Nice! Where did you track one down? I've been looking to no avail.

I picked mine up on eBay - it had a slightly quirky listing title which meant - I suspect - that most of the more well-heeled collectors missed it, hence why I could afford it! There are usually a few on the various book listing sites, but they are expensive.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
These are a bit better, I think: - please bear with me on the uploading as it takes ages!

-------------------

Fall Portfolio of Fashions - Overcoat Trend, 1936

scan0011.jpg

....The new shorter length overcoat extending 1 1/2" below the knee. This S.B. dark blue cheviot model carries set-in sleeves with real cuffs, fly front, peak lapels, slanting pockets and hooked vent. Striped broadcloth shirt with laundered collar and a light ground Spitalfield tie; black quarter brogue shoes; rough finish bowler hat and light chamois gloves. Photos by Pach Bros.

Fall Portfolio of Fashions - Town or Spectator Sports

scan0012.jpg

....Four button D.B. Saxony suit in Glen Urquhart plaid with lapels rolling to lower button, 7" side vents and full cut trousers with 19 1/2" bottoms. Fine gingham checked shirt with slotted collar to match; repp striped tie; brown reversed calf shoes; brown buckskin gloves and brown snap brim hat with tapered crown and medium wide brim.

Fall Portfolio of Fashions - Peak Lapels for Town

scan0013.jpg

....Fine pinhead hard-finished worsted with colored overstripe in the smart two button peak lapel model as made by a noted Savile Row tailor. Fashion details :- soft construction, fullness under arms. Broadcloth shirt worn with white laundered collar and a small geometric design tie, calf town shoes in black or brown, lightweight goatskin gloves and a welt edge black or midnight blue homburg hat.

Fall Portfolio of Fashions - Going Back to School

scan0014.jpg

....S.B. three-button notch lapel Shetland suit in bold Glen plaid with colored overplaid. Fashion details : lapels rolling to top button, high gorge, fullness at blades, slanting flap pockets, ticket pocket and side vents. Solid color oxford shirt with button-down collar; striped knit tie; solid 6x3 ribbed hose; Norwegian model shoes and brown snap brim hat. Direct color by Rosenow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads