• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone ever stencil t-shirts?

mr.loverman

Reaction score
anyone ever make their own stencils then use spray on fabric paint to make a t-shirt? seems like it could be a cheap and fun alternative to silk screening. does it come out looking alright?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to try and do it. It's a bit pricey to get started with all the paints and supplies and never really turned out working for me.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea in my mind, and figured that using "rough" images/stencils would work best; almost graffiti-esque.

I've seen it done on cheaper shirt with cheaper supplies and it came out halfway decent. I believe with better shirts and more care taken in consideration of the design and materials used, you could make a very decent everyday shirt.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the paints I used were very stiff on the shirt, and cutting out more detailed stencils is sort of complicated. I did get pretty good at converting images to stencils in photoshop though.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I've not used stencils, but I've made striped shirts for friends with spray paint.

If you want consistent color that won't fade try using fabric markers. Fabric paint will fade after about the 2nd wash. It doesn't look horrible, but the color will differ from when you painted them. The nice thing about fabric paint is that its paint, and someone with talent could use it and have museum quality work to wear around town.

folby

Reaction score
I've done it in the past with mixed results. One of the things to watch out for is that the stencil can lift off of the shirt and you'll get 'underspray', or areas where the paint runs under the stencil giving you a blurry look. If you can cut your stencils out of something like adhesive vynil it helps. If you can't, holding the paint can far enough away from the shirt that the force from the spray isn't lifting the shirt. You should also watch out for bleed through, any heavy application of paint and you may end up with a reverse image on the back of your shirt.

You might just consider finding a local artist and getting them to do something. They might work with an airbrush, which will yield better results.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used the stencil method a few times and it's OK I guess but you have to be careful not to "overspray" by holding the can to close or "underspray" by holding it too far away.

I guess I'm biased because I've done so much silk screening and have always preferred that method but it seems more practical in both time and money, if you are dead-set on stencil designs you can alway just do them on silk screen using the blocking method anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads