• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any UK Dress Shoe Deals/Sales On/Imminent?

Davesbeard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post and been impressed by the knowledge round here after a quick lurk. Been looking at a new pair of dress shoes and plan on spending more than I have in the past. Not quite willing to drop the £300 needed for a new pair of Church's as it would be a significant dent in my second year grad salary. Looking to spend £150 max, Black Toe Cap oxfords or Brogues preferably. Living in London so Outlets don't appear to be an option.

Found these below but they seem to get slated?

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-sho...shoes?q=gbpdefault||ML174BLK|||||411,||||||||

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Davesbeard

Reaction score
Thanks, had a quick look and there's not much on there in my size. I'll keep an eye out.

Herringshoes seems to keep coming up as a place to get seconds but I can't seem to find them on the site?

Oleg

Reaction score
If you've no joy with the site Malford's linked to, Loakes 1880s are a reasonable bet. They're a little outside your budget but can be had for around 180-190 quid. I've a couple of pairs which I've been perfectly happy with and they certainly seem to be a cut above anything else sub-200 quid that I've seen. They're widely available but there's a store in the arcade just off Jermyn Street/Piccadilly (not the Piccadilly Arcade, the smaller one a bit further towards Piccadilly - arsed if I can remember its name but can't miss it).
Other models of Loakes can, of course, be had for much less but they're often that highly shined, corrected grain leather.

Chemist

Reaction score
Why not check out Meermin shoes from Spain? There's quite a thread regarding them somewhere on SF and I think Die Workwear talked about them also on the blog. Prices for the base models I think are Euro 170 shipped to the UK...

I also noticed an establishment called Discount Shoe Sales near St James Park station as I was walking to my exam halls a few weeks ago. I didn't go in but from their website it seems they stock Loake, Barker and other English brands. Might be worth a visit if your in the area.

http://www.discount-shoe-sales.com/

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go to the Churchs store at Bicester. It only takes an hour to get there, less of you have a car and are comfortable driving at 100mph. You can even ring up in advance to ask what they have on offer. Prices are from £150 upwards, but there's normally a very good selection I'm the £190 bracket.

bydandie

Reaction score
I'd take a look at Shiption and Heanage and Herring Shoes, as their own brands are made by the other brands. Pediwear also have a discounted shoes at present, all three allow you search by size and fit so you should find something you like.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just go to the Churchs store at Bicester. It only takes an hour to get there, less of you have a car and are comfortable driving at 100mph. You can even ring up in advance to ask what they have on offer. Prices are from £150 upwards, but there's normally a very good selection I'm the £190 bracket.
And if you don't go on a weekend when the traffic frequently ends up tailing back to the M40! At weekends, I suspect it would actually be quicker to take the train from London, regardless of however illegally fast you drive. :)

I live in Oxford, and still make a point of never going at weekends; it changes a 20 minute drive into at least a 45 minute journey and up to an hour. Most of which is the last couple of miles. The new roundabouts and speed restrictions near Bicester are unlikely to be making things easier. BTW, if you're a frequent Bicester visitor, you might be interested to know they're going to take over the large Tesco site just next door for even more retail space (Tesco's is going to move across the road, also into a bigger location, I'm guessing possibly to the area behind the petrol station). No news yet as to which new brands will arrive to fill that massive extra space, or whether it will be used to add some more desperately needed parking. Whatever, more space will make the traffic even more awful at the weekend, though of course both Tesco and the Village are claiming it will reduce congestion...

... I miss the old days when no-one seemed to know about its existence and there were bargains galore...

I just got an email from the vilage saying they've opened a British Designers Collective menswear shop, and Grenson are one of the brands sold there. Sounds like outlet prices for at least some shoes there are about 40-50% off retail, so if they have any dress shoes, it could be a good option. I'll probably visit some time over the next month or so (E.Tautz is also being sold in that new shop, as are Richard James, Sunspel and Folk and I'm curious to see what they have in stock in those brands).

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
Hey that's some really interesting news Holdfast. Thanks for that. I'd love to get my hands on some Tautz and some nice shoes.
Your advice about not going on weekends is also spot on, I should have mentioned that myself.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Yeah, Tautz is an interesting development, though I bet they don't stock too many jackets/suits. I suspect it will be accessories and casual items, but I hope to be proved wrong.

Re: the Tesco move & expansion, I'm not sure when this will happen. I think they're in the public consultation phase at the moment (I just happened to hear about it on local radio a month or so ago), and you know what it's like getting planning permission, etc finalised in this country! :)

Snedley

Reaction score
I don't think Church's are what they were: http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/downfall-of-churchs-shoes.html

I'd recommend Herring in particular for the budget you're on, their shipping was really quick too.
Unless you've been wearing Churches for 40 years you would have no frame of reference regarding whether they're not as good as in the past and either would the guy with the blog. Hmm how many blogs are there now? Like a billion?
lol8[1].gif

Snedley

Reaction score
Unless you've been wearing Churches for 40 years you would have no frame of reference regarding whether they're not as good as in the past and either would the guy with the blog. Hmm how many blogs are there now? Like a billion?
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
btw, that guy is not even 30 and he's on ebay, the sure sign of a noob amateur
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads