• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

golfnutter66

Reaction score

I truly enjoy drinking, Japanese pure malt whisky. I still do like some scotches from Speyside though 
nod%5B1%5D.gif

Japanese whiskies can be very good. Particularly the Hibiki 17 yrs. In a blind taste test, people assume they are drinking a high end Speysider.

ettebe

Reaction score
There are many great single malts available. It all depends however on what you like in terms of flavor profile.

For example, if you are a fan of honeyed, smooth, yet interesting drams, then try Cragganmore 12 years and Glenfiddich 15 Solera.

If you like sherried scotch, try: GlenDronach 12 or 15 yrs (the 15 is really impressive), Oban 14, Glenlivet 18.

If you like some smoke and toffee and a bit more challenging but rewarding flavor profile, try anything by Highland Park.

For those peat and smoke fans of Islay, probably the best is Lagavulin 16 years.

I know all this because, besides clothes, I am quite obsessed with scotch.

I operate a non-profit, independent scotch review blog for kicks: http://jason-scotchreviews.blogspot.com/

Cheers!

Jason

Cool. Thanks for the link, I will for sure check out your blog.

billsayers

Reaction score
I like my share of Japanese whiskies and think they are a viable whisky variant. But we should really try to keep this thread dedicated to Scotch and its actual definition.

That said, I recently tried the Clynelish 14 and found it rather enjoyable. It has a faint peat taste that makes it suitable as an introduction to some of the more intense Islays.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like my share of Japanese whiskies and think they are a viable whisky variant. But we should really try to keep this thread dedicated to Scotch and its actual definition.

Why? Can't think that this forum really needs another thread to cover the non-Scotch whiskies.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you work for the SWA or something? There are plenty of great non-Scottish whiskeys that can, and merit to be, discussed alongside traditional scotches.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]Why? Can't think that this forum really needs another thread to cover the non-Scotch whiskies.[/COLOR]

So sorry but I disagree. Will we talk about Bourbon and Rye in this thread as well?

If so, then perhaps the thread ought to be renamed.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]Do you work for the SWA or something? There are plenty of great non-Scottish whiskeys that can, and merit to be, discussed alongside traditional scotches. [/COLOR]

Don't they deserve pride of place in their own thread?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't they deserve pride of place in their own thread?

No, they are most similar to scotch and there is no reason to fragment the thread as they are not that popular or oft discussed.

ettebe

Reaction score
Didn't think I would cause a whole controversy. Anyways, I must have tried about a dozen or so different scotches since I got into enjoying the different tastes and one that really caught me off guard was Talisker. It has an interesting after taste, I just can't remember which year I had though. One of the scotch I got a bottle of was Dewars. WOW that was a real awkward thing to drink, but that is me.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]No, they are most similar to scotch and there is no reason to fragment the thread as they are not that popular or oft discussed[/COLOR].

Considering the title of the thread and the expectations it engenders, I suspect all such discussion would be automatically "off topic."

Just my opinion but I kind of wish that the thread title were "Any One for a Single Malt Scotch?"

Last edited:

billsayers

Reaction score

So sorry but I disagree. Will we talk about Bourbon and Rye in this thread as well?
If so, then perhaps the thread ought to be renamed.

Do you work for the SWA or something? There are plenty of great non-Scottish whiskeys that can, and merit to be, discussed alongside traditional scotches.

No, they are most similar to scotch and there is no reason to fragment the thread as they are not that popular or oft discussed.

I am not knocking on Japanese whisky but this thread is about Scotch. Last time I checked, this thread is called "Any One for a Scotch?" not "Any One for a Scotch or something equivalent that is technically not a Scotch?"

I very much like this thread and have learned a great deal from it. I think the purpose of this thread is compromised once there are discussions about non-Scotch whiskies. Like DWF mentioned, I would react the same way if people started posting about bourbon or rye whiskey in this thread.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not knocking on Japanese whisky but this thread is about Scotch. Last time I checked, this thread is called "Any One for a Scotch?" not "Any One for a Scotch or something equivalent that is technically not a Scotch?"
I very much like this thread and have learned a great deal from it. I think the purpose of this thread is compromised once there are discussions about non-Scotch whiskies. Like DWF mentioned, I would react the same way if people started posting about bourbon or rye whiskey in this thread.

Bourbon and rye are big enough and dissimilar enough to scotch to have their own thread. I cannot understand why you would be so sensitive about someone discussing a Japanese, Indian, etc. whiskey in this thread. It doesn't compromise the discussion, it adds to it and gives it a new dimension. As much as it might pain you to recognize it, they are many incredible world whiskeys that myself and many other scotch lovers would happily drink over a similarly priced and greatly inferior Scotch whisky.

In your honor I will drink some first batch Spice Tree and Amrut Fusion tonight. Salud!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG.

I'm, thus far, a pure Scots whisky Scotch kind of guy. I've had Hibiki and wasn't nuts about it (didn't actually even know it WAS Hibiki). But seriously, the Japanese and other worldwide whiskys that imitate Scots' whisky (like, for instance, the Tuthilltown endeavors) are all about the Scots' style of whisky, which is completely distinct from any other whisky in the world. Really, where else would you discuss it but in a Scotch thread? In a Scotch thread you can compare and contrast, to, OMG, Scots' whisky, on which the whole style is based?!!! I mean, duh?! The thread is about Scotch, not snobbery -- if we wanted a thread about Single Malts that could have been started (and of course, any SF member can), but then we'd also lose the discussion about the great vatted malts, about the blends and the influence of Royal Lochnagar or Cardhu on Johnnie Walker, about John Glaser and Compass Box. Geez, people.

~ H

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hibiki is not all that impressive... try a Yoichi and you might have to give the Japanese whiskies their due, some/most of the Yoichis are fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads