• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am not knocking on Japanese whisky but this thread is about Scotch. Last time I checked, this thread is called "Any One for a Scotch?" not "Any One for a Scotch or something equivalent that is technically not a Scotch?"
I very much like this thread and have learned a great deal from it. I think the purpose of this thread is compromised once there are discussions about non-Scotch whiskies. Like DWF mentioned, I would react the same way if people started posting about bourbon or rye whiskey in this thread.

Dude, you're taking this **** far too seriously. What what old chap I say.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not knocking on Japanese whisky but this thread is about Scotch. Last time I checked, this thread is called "Any One for a Scotch?" not "Any One for a Scotch or something equivalent that is technically not a Scotch?"
I very much like this thread and have learned a great deal from it. I think the purpose of this thread is compromised once there are discussions about non-Scotch whiskies. Like DWF mentioned, I would react the same way if people started posting about bourbon or rye whiskey in this thread.

The downfall of this thread began at post °8 then, I guess.

I'm sorry mate,
you came too late.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]Dude, you're taking this **** far too seriously. What what old chap I say.[/COLOR]

How can you take single malt Scotch too seriously?

On the other hand, I don't think it is a matter of too serious or not. It's simply a matter of the way discussion forums are set up and what expectations are generated. Why have subject topics and subtopics, at all? Why not just have one big umbrella thread where anyone can talk about anything and everything?

I don't think the occasional reference to Japanese malts is offensive. No more than the occasional reference to Irish malts. But most of us are drawn to this thread and post to it, monitor it, and read other peoples remarks because the title contains the word "Scotch."

It would be an entirely different crowd of people here if the title were "Bourbon" or as Bill said, "Scotch or something like it."

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Scotch cannot be just anything...some International Trade rule or something like that. Just as Champagne can only be from one specific region in France, and made with only one specific process. Tequila the same. If that's so, it is at least inappropriate to conflate Scotch with other whiskies.

It's kind of like mixing liquors in one glass...and who cares what glass looks like.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How can you take single malt Scotch too seriously?
On the other hand, I don't think it is a matter of too serious or not. It's simply a matter of the way discussion forums are st up and what expectations are generated. Why have subject topics at all? Why not just have one big umbrella thread where anyone can talk about anything and everything?
I don't think the occasional reference to Japanese malts is offensive. No more than the occasional reference to Irish malts. But most of us are drawn to this thread and post to it, monitor it, and read other peoples remarks because the title contains the word "Scotch."
It would be an entirely different crowd of people here if the title were "Bourbon" or as Bill said, "Scotch or something like it."
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Scotch cannot be just anything...some International Trade rule or something like that. Just as Champagne can only be from one specific region in France, and made with only one specific process. Tequila the same. If that's so, it is at least inappropriate to conflate Scotch with other whiskies.

I'm on board with you. I think though, you have taken the thread far too seriously when you start saying stuff like "the purpose of this thread is compromised" when 2% of the discussion is about non-Scotch whiskeys. Like, really? We had a purpose and it is being compromised? WTF?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there was a thread about champagne, I think it'd be completely legit to discuss crémants etc. there, too. Just my 0,02.

And don't tell me you wouldn't write in this thread if the title was "Scotch or something like it.".

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm on board with you. I think though, you have taken the thread far too seriously when you start saying stuff like "the purpose of this thread is compromised" when 2% of the discussion is about non-Scotch whiskeys. Like, really? We had a purpose and it is being compromised? WTF?

I see you're an 'interpreter'. :) I'm not dissing you but I don't recall (or see) where I said the "purpose of the thread is compromised." My quotes are appropriate but yours were not.

And really, old son, there's a big difference between 'purpose' and 'subject.' From my POV, the purpose is to enjoy and entertain ourselves by discussing and sharing insights about a subject that we've all implicitly agreed to talk about.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I see you're an 'interpreter'. :) I'm not dissing you but I don't recall (or see) where I said the "purpose of the thread is compromised." My quotes are appropriate but yours were not.
And really, old son, there's a big difference between 'purpose' and 'subject.' From my POV, the purpose is to enjoy and entertain ourselves by discussing and sharing insights about a subject that we've all implicitly agreed to talk about.

yeah i was quoting that one dude who i accused of tkaing this too seriously. you're cool.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
For what it's worth as a relative newcomer to scotch and its ilk, I quite appreciate suggestions of Japanese whiskies. They are basically intended to be the same type of drink and I think most people would view them as direct alternatives to each other. I wouldn't tend to buy them, because I wouldn't have a clue what I was looking at, but if people make suggestions of what's good and how it compares, then I'm very interested to read that and I can't think of a more sensible place to put them.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe you are referring to Hibiki 12yrs. I am referring to the 17 and 21 yrs. Both are stellar and comparable to the finest of Speyside.

Not sure why but the Hibikis don't do much for me....though the 30 year was a treat! But I am a big fan of Yamazaki...I recently tried the Sherry Cask and Puncheon bottlings and they are both excellent.

ettebe

Reaction score
I tried out some Lagavulin 16 year last night. Quite a bold taste and it was the first scotch I ever had that actually made my lips tingle (weird feeling). I am still not sure if it was really worth the $30 for the 2 ounces.

Last edited:

golfnutter66

Reaction score

I tried out some Lagavulin 16 year last night. Quite a bold taste and it was the first scotch I ever had that actually made my lips tingle (weird feeling). I am still not sure if it was really worth the $30 for the 2 ounces.

Lagavulin 16 is a beautiful malt, but if you find it on the strong side, and unsure about your passion for the peat and smoke bombs, try Black Bottle. Yes, it is a blended scotch and merely $20 in the US, but it is a very nice, refined, smokey peatey scotch whisky that is a nice introduction to Islay. Coincidentally, it is mostly made up of Lagavulin. Cheers!

Crawford

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a very briny/salty single malt scotch? That's a flavor I haven't experience much in the scotches I've tasted, looking for one that maybe even over does it a little bit, just to get an idea of what it's like...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads