• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any experience w/Charles Thyrwitt?

thomas790

Reaction score
I am regularly receiving catalogues and special offers from the Charles Thyrwitt people. Does anyone have experience and an opinion of their shirts and shoes?

MaxTO

Reaction score
I just received, less than a week ago 2 shirts from them.
I ordered 1 white 100% linen shirt and 1 white w/blue windowpanes cotton/linen blend shirt. Both were size M.

Haven't washed them yet, but so far they are OK shirts.

One of the shirts had the top button loose (almost falling off), there is a small difference in the sleeve length between the 2 shirts (even though both are size M), with the 100% linen shirt having sleeves ~.5 shorter.
At the moment they are somewhat larger than I'd like (but since they both have linen in them, I assume they will shrink somewhat after the first few washes).

The price, with shipping/taxes etc. turned out to be less than what I would've paid for something similar here (ie. Holt Renfrew 100% linen shirt).

Will I buy from them again? Maybe. At the moment I'm trying to get my hands on as many different shirts as I can to see which ones fit me the best. If I did buy from them again and it was a non-linen shirt, I would definately go for their "slim cut" ones.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three CT shirts. One is "sea island quality" and is lovely and light. But the arm holes are a bit tight on me (just my body). The other two are both poplin I think. I like those quite a lot. They fit me very well and look nice. Although I accidently ordered one of them with single cuffs rather than double. But that's my fault.

I only buy these on sale--as much of a sale as I can. They are simply too expensive at regular prices. But overall, I'm becoming less and less convinced there is a reason to spend more than $100 on a dress shirt.

Oh yes, they do sell a "fitted" size that is more trim than the regular sizes.

bob

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love CT's herringbone shirts. Recently, they sold out when they had them on sale for $47. Unlike others here, they fit me fine. I also bought their magenta 7F tie and it is great.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, I also own two CT ties. Love them.

bob

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had an unpleasant experience with Tyrwhitt that perhaps I should relate.  I had planned to buy a bunch of shirts from them.  I had received accurate and prompt advice from a couple of their customer-service people vis-a-vis colors, styles, etc., and had received their "Back to 1995" catalog.  Just before placing my order, I had one last query about shipping, etc., after which I would have placed my order--2 or 3 180s, 3 or 4 Sea Island 140s, and a couple of the plain poplin shirts.  I naturally assumed that I was eligible for the 50%-off first-time buyer discount because I had seen it referred to on this forum and the AAAC forum, and it appeared to be available to everyone.  Well, apparently not.  I was informed in the response to my last query that I was not eligible for this (even though I would have been a first-time buyer), and could get only the 25% off in the catalog.  I was amazed to hear this and e-mailed back for confirmation and was told that no, I was not eligible.  Obviously, after that, all desire to buy from Tyrwhitt vanished, even though I had the code that leads to the 50%-off deal--the one posted in this thread--and could have gone ahead anyway (which the service rep acknowledged) and got that deal.  

However, being told that I was ineligible really killed any fondness for Tyrwhitt, and I told the service rep that I would simply go elsewhere if her company deemed me unworthy of the same deal for which everyone else seemed to be eligible.  And this is what I have done (I guess more on principle than anything else).  Bromley's is selling Hilditch & Key (which members of this forum and AAAC consider greatly superior to Tyrwhitt) at 40%-50% off TO EVERYONE.  Perhaps I just drew an incompetent or mean-spirited customer service person in my last e-mail, but it seems to me to be utter stupidity for a company to make an offer available to some people and not others--when those denied it can easily find out about the deal being offered to others.  So, in my opinion, that was Tyrwhitt's first mistake.  And I believe it was equally stupid--now that the cat was out of the bag, company policy or not--to stubbornly deny a customer this deal when a lot of time had already been invested in me and I would only go ahead with the purchase if the 50%-off deal applied (something I made clear to this customer service person).  This was,  in my opinion, their second mistake.  Tyrwhitt had a sunk cost in me--their other customer service reps had devoted time and energy helping me get my order together--and for this one rep to stubbornly insist that I would not be eligible struck me as asinine--constituting an insult to a potential customer and ultimately a bad business decision for the company.  I would have thought that any competent customer-service person would, under the circumstance, have simply said something like: "Well, you're not technicaly eligible for this offer, but since you are obviously very interested in purchasing our products, we will be happy to extend it to you."

Ah well...has any other potential first-time buyer been denied the 50%-off deal?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Roger: did they tell you WHY they considered you ineligible? This sounds odd. Also, why didn't you just use the url and do your business over the internet, where you WOULD have gotten your discount?

As for the shoes, I have a pair of their calfskins, and they are indeed Loake 1880's (their top range). They're very nice, especially for the US$150 I paid. I wouldn't pay twice that, as I don't think the leather or the attention to detail is worth US$300, but they're certainly worth the discount price. If you can get that, I'd say go for it.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teacher: All the customer service rep said was that only "specific groups of people" got the 50%-off deal--the implication being that I was not in one of these groups.  As for your second question, although I had seen plenty of references to the 50% off for first-time buyers, I didn't see the actual link on the internet until reading this thread; instead another Tyrwhitt service rep gave me an equivalent one in an earlier query when I inquired about the 50%-off discount.  (That was another reason, I proceeded as though I were entitled to this discount.) However, the last rep (a manager) stated that I should not have been given the link, and I was not entitled to the discount. It's true that I could have gone ahead anyway and simply bought through that link, but my feeling was that I didn't want Tyrwhitt shirts so much that if--according to their intentions--I was not entitled to be treated as a valued customer in the way that others were (by being offered the discount), I would prefer to go elsewhere.  (I was prepared to do all my business on-line.)  This last customer service manager said, "...I would prefer not to know if you have placed an order from the 50% off link...."  This declaration implied that I would be sneaking around behind Tyrwhitt's back and against their wishes if I did use the 50%-off link, and it simply felt better to take my business elsewhere.  Perhaps that seems odd to you; I hope not.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roger wrote: "This last customer service manager said, "...I would prefer not to know if you have placed an order from the 50% off link...." This declaration implied that I would be sneaking around behind Tyrwhitt's back and against their wishes if I did use the 50%-off link, and it simply felt better to take my business elsewhere. Perhaps that seems odd to you; I hope not. "

Maybe that was his British way of saying "I don't like this rule but I have to enforce it or ****** is out on the street. so, if you do it anyway, I'll look the other way."

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid, avoid, avoid. To say they fit like sails is to imply that they're more form fitting than, in fact, they are. And, no matter what I do, the collar tips roll under. You'd do much better to purchase Ike Behar or Polo on sale.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the quality of the ties from CT? I'm looking into two pairs of shoes and some ties possibly a shirt from them to get the 50% off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads