• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another price increase for RL polos

jcrew923

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pc003k
Anyone know of a logoless polo(or very small) that fits like the RL "custom fit" polo?
try j.crew's tailored fit
or sizing down in their regular fit

vanity

Reaction score
This sucks. I really like their Polos too but thought $65 was a bit much. I won't get any now unless they're on sale.

jcrew923

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
This sucks. I really like their Polos too but thought $65 was a bit much. I won't get any now unless they're on sale.
you've got plenty of options
-they will inevitably go on sale around specific times of the year such as after christmas around new years, etc
-and you've got outlet
-and then whatever department store etc is selling them will probably put some on sale at some point

vanity

Reaction score
Sometimes Polo shirts fit me AWESOME, and sometimes I find ones that fit like crap. They'll end up way, way too long and I cannot wear them w/o tucking.

Are there differnet fits to the Polos?

west coast wonderboy

Reaction score
I assumed the price raise was an attempt to try and reinforce their 'upmarket' stature in the face of becoming an amjack standard - following the recent, and regretable, popped-collar phenomenon... kind of an american version of what happened to burberry with chavs in britain.

Max

Reaction score
Side note: what we're discussing can be more accurately described as a price increase on Polo tennis shirts. We only call them "polo" shirts because they were brought into mainstream wear by the first Ralph Lauren "Polo" collection.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes Polo shirts fit me AWESOME, and sometimes I find ones that fit like crap. They'll end up way, way too long and I cannot wear them w/o tucking.

I've noticed the same thing. I've always needed a large in RL's, as the mediums are way too tight on my arms. I've always bought their regular fit, but some just seem to fit better and are slightly shorter.

jcrew923

Reaction score

they have 2 fits
classic fit and custom fit
custom fit is overall smaller than classic. basically just more fitted and shorter etc
i like custom fit a lot better because i'm a pretty small person and i still find the small classic fit to be too big so small custom fit is a good fit on me
i still have numerous small classic fits but i have to tuck them in unless i'm wearing them with baggier pants such as shorts

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcrew923
they have 2 fits
classic fit and custom fit
custom fit is overall smaller than classic. basically just more fitted and shorter etc
i like custom fit a lot better because i'm a pretty small person and i still find the small classic fit to be too big so small custom fit is a good fit on me
i still have numerous small classic fits but i have to tuck them in unless i'm wearing them with baggier pants such as shorts

Maybe I should try the custom large. They're tough to find, at least around here.

jcrew923

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Maybe I should try the custom large. They're tough to find, at least around here.
agreed
there are like zero custom fit at the outlet nearest me
and the custom fit rack at macy's, bloomingdales etc is pretty limited
plus if any do go on sale at the department stores or what not, it's usually always the classic fit
but you can just wait for the online rl sales where both go on sale

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
custom-fits are prolly the best polos i have. they just fit me well alongside fred perry and burberry. as for the price increase, i am dismayed of it because its the way its been these past 3 years. i think they've marked up the price because they want a more higher class clientele to avoid those "ghetto" people trying to make a statement. anyway i'd still buy em for the quality

Sabrosa

Reaction score
I've looked at the Polo outlet in St. Augustine a few times, but I don't think I've ever come across a custom fit polo there. They seem to be a bit hard to track down at outlets, or even on-sale for that matter. The ones at Marshall's, etc, all seem to be very large sized classic fits. Do the plain color shirts usually go on sale on the website? I know there were some on sale recently, but I figured that was just due to the price hike. I thought that during most of their sales the plain polos remained at full price.

modagg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by west coast wonderboy
I assumed the price raise was an attempt to try and reinforce their 'upmarket' stature in the face of becoming an amjack standard - following the recent, and regretable, popped-collar phenomenon... kind of an american version of what happened to burberry with chavs in britain.

i call my buddy amjack but he doesn't know what it means (used to all him guido so hopefully u get the picture). dude thinks hes "growing up gotti" with the hair and of course the square toed kc's. imo rl doesn't equal amjack; i would say brands like express, ax, and kc, and guess are the standard (btw i happen to own a pair of kc)

blizzack1

Reaction score
Here in Canada we're really screwed.

Three or four years ago I bought a couple for around $40 (marked down from 65) that were made in Canada.

Now, the only Polo distributor in Canada is a high-end department store (Holt Renfrew). They rarely have sales, and the price is now a ridiculous $100, and they're made in the developing world for pennies on the dollar for what they were paying labour in Canada...

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blizzack1
Here in Canada we're really screwed.

Three or four years ago I bought a couple for around $40 (marked down from 65) that were made in Canada.

Now, the only Polo distributor in Canada is a high-end department store (Holt Renfrew). They rarely have sales, and the price is now a ridiculous $100, and they're made in the developing world for pennies on the dollar for what they were paying labour in Canada...

Just buy it in the U.S. I bought a couple of RL custom-fit polos when I was in Boston and NYC.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52