• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds or Alden!?

• Allen Edmonds

Votes: 168 44.9%
  • Alden

Votes: 206 55.1%

• Total voters

Decksmooth

Reaction score
^^^
As for shell cordovan, it's not even close... the two are pretty much the same in price and Alden shell shoes are unequivocally superior, even if they cost $100 more in some cases.
Don't both AE and Alden use Horween shell cordovan? Is there a difference in grade of shell that the same manufacturers sells to the different shoe companies? I'm not asking to be a wise-guy - I just bought my first pair of AE shell today and don't own any Alden's (yet).

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't both AE and Alden use Horween shell cordovan? Is there a difference in grade of shell that the same manufacturers sells to the different shoe companies? I'm not asking to be a wise-guy - I just bought my first pair of AE shell today and don't own any Alden's (yet).

Yes, Horween supplies both brands. In fact, Skip Horween is on a trunk show tour with the AE CEO this week hawking shell in certain unusual colors.

I have six pair of shell: two are Alden and two are AE. In my experience, I have found no evidence that Alden's shell is "unequivocally superior." Those four are four different colors in four different styles and I enjoy all of them. As far as I can tell, overall build quality, comfort, and longevity of wear are all very similar. The finishing treatment of Alden shell is different but I wouldn't say it is preferable to me.

To me, some of the posts here are akin to trying to "prove" that one pizza or barbeque joint is better than another.

mackguy

Reaction score
I have a few pair of AE that I like. I wanted to try Alden so I looked up a local retailer and stopped by. They had all of one pair of Aldens, that weren't my size, and were not a style I wanted anyway.

Personally my uncushioned AE's are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn once broken in. I can wear my 5th ave or 5th street all day long with no problem.

Oh well.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't both AE and Alden use Horween shell cordovan?  Is there a difference in grade of shell that the same manufacturers sells to the different shoe companies?  I'm not asking to be a wise-guy - I just bought my first pair of AE shell today and don't own any Alden's (yet).

There are different grades of shell, but they are of no importance to this discussion. Lower-grade shells have holes and perhaps other visible flaws in them. Otherwise, "Shell is shell," as a friend of mine who has worked with shell a lot once commented to me. Obviously, neither Alden nor A-E is going to make a shoe with a hole in the upper. (And no jokes about broguing, please!)

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They may use the same shell sourced by Horween, but Alden finishes theirs differently. Alden shell tends to have a more glossy finish where AE's is more matted. In the last year or two, AE has tried to make theirs more glossy like Alden; at least that's what I've read in the AE Appreciation thread. I suppose the matted vs. glossy finish is a personal preference.

I have both but prefer Alden more for its design and better comfort (in my experience). I am a big LWB fan. AE's 7 last that's used for the McNeil doesn't really suit my foot shape, and the Larchmont is a longwing atrocity imo. The Barrie is more comfortable for me. They both make great shoes but I'll go with Alden.

I have the walnut shell Dalton (wingtip boot) and Alden's ravello wingtip boot. When I have a chance I'll post comparison pics. There really is no contest. The Dalton pales in comparison.

There may be other models that match up more favorably for AE in design, but for what I like (LWBs and wingtip boots) I'd rather have Aldens.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ravello wingtip boots ^^^^^

Walnut shell Dalton ^^^^

Dalton's wingtip design is lacking; poor spacing of the vamp (too voluminous) and I'm not a fan of the eyelets and their spacing (looks odd).

I will try to post pics side-by-side to show what they look like under the same lighting. Their color is fairly similar; the lighting makes them look different in these pics.

I just got the Alden Ravello boot. The Dalton will likely collect dust in my closet now.

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score
Yeah...i hate to admit it but the alden shitted all over the AE in that comparison...the dalton is a little sleeker, which i like, but all else considered, a pretty disappointing showing for the Dalton

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the wing tip portion of the dalton is too shallow, too much space between the vamp and broguing distorts the style.

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score
Thats just the tip of the ice berg..from top to bottom the Dalton looks a mess in this comparison. The opening/throat is shapeless and crude looking, the wingtip AS WELL AS the wing proportions are misaligned and off...the alden's color is sharper, prettier and shinier, the construction looks neater, better laces, speedhooks etc... just a complete schellacking . And im an AE guy.

Last edited:

wildoats

Reaction score
I recently compared the AE leeds in Cordovan to the Alden PTB. I have to say, the craftsmanship on the Alden is superior to the AE model. The Alden runs a bit wider, but the stitching, lining and welt trim are all cleaner than on the AE version.

At a very similar price, I would always chose the Alden. I also compared the same shoes in the black calf version -- the superiority of Alden in this case is more than obvious.

Don't bet me wrong though, I also own a few pairs of AE shoes.

J

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently compared the AE leeds in Cordovan to the Alden PTB.  I have to say, the craftsmanship on the Alden is superior to the AE model.  The Alden runs a bit wider, but the stitching, lining and welt trim are all cleaner than on the AE version.

At a very similar price, I would always chose the Alden.  I also compared the same shoes in the black calf version -- the superiority of Alden in this case is more than obvious.

Don't bet me wrong though, I also own a few pairs of AE shoes.

J

I tried on a pair of shell Leeds today also. You are correct in that the Alden's finish and all-around quality is superior. On the other hand, I think I prefer the shape of the Leeds. Its sleeker last is a bit more appealing to the eye. If I had to wear one for 8 hours and be on my feet most of that time, the Alden would be my choice without any reservations! In the end, not that difficult a choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads