• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phailing101
Strand in Walnut.

I own them and love them.

Ditto.

I've also never received as many compliments on any of my shoes as I have my Strands in walnut and I've only even had them for a couple months.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add me to the chorus of voices recommending the Strand. I own both shoes, and they're both good, but the Strand is going to be much more versatile.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Add me to the chorus of voices recommending the Strand. I own both shoes, and they're both good, but the Strand is going to be much more versatile.

+1.

Why'd you change the avatar? I quite liked the old one.

sephlod

Reaction score
I'd go for the Strand.

I own both the PA in Black and Strand in Walnut. The Strand can scale down or scale up pretty easily

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
I have the Bryon, a captoe with a row of punches. Nice but boring. I tend to reach more for my Strands in walnut. The Strand is such a good looking shoe with lots of interesting perfing. Navy pinstripe suit, the Strand works with that. Business casual, yep reach for the Strands. Jeans? Once again the Strand works well.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can really dress down with Strands. IMO they will never work with jeans.

stillerfan07

Reaction score
I have thought about getting the Strands. But my gut reaction has been that they seem a little busy and ostentatious. I am not sure if they are suitable in a business environment. What do you think?

sephlod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stillerfan07
I have thought about getting the Strands. But my gut reaction has been that they seem a little busy and ostentatious. I am not sure if they are suitable in a business environment. What do you think?

They are fine for the office environment. Buy them and don't look back

suginami

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stillerfan07

In the Allen Edmonds Fall 2010 catalog, they list the shoes you can wear by category, i.e. Classic Office Wear, Versatile (Office or Jeans Wear), Modern Office Wear, Dress Casual Office Wear, Casual Office / Weekend Wear, Casual Office, and Weekend Wear.

The Strand are listed under four different categories: Classic Office Wear, Versatile (Office or Jeans Wear), Casual Office, and Weekend Wear.

The only other shoe that is listed in as many categories is the MacNeil: Classic Office Wear, Versatile (Office or Jeans Wear), Casual Office, Weekend Wear

For point of reference, other shoes that occupy several categories are:

Walton: Classic Office Wear, Versatile (Office or Jeans Wear).

Augusta: Classic Office Wear, Versatile (Office or Jeans Wear).

Charleston: Classic Office Wear, Versatile (Office or Jeans Wear).

Delray: Classic Office Wear, Casual Office, Weekend Wear

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Engi
I would go for the Park Avenue.

Regards,

Engi

This is a good businessman...a recommendation for the PA, with a link to his B&S thread for a pair of PA's!
laugh.gif

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TedW
What about Fifth Avenue in brown or walnut...? Compromise between Strand and PA.

Brooks also has a nice medallion captoe in brown - C&J built, I think.

I have the fifth avenue in a light brown - with some burgundy/dark brown polishing at the front, it has taken on a really nice character and I use it a lot. That said, I think I'd rather have bought the strand - the brogueing gives it a bit more character.

And whatever you do, don't get the Park Avenue. Strand is the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads