• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoes4play

Reaction score
Good move, as who knows if they will ever bring them back. Now all you need is black to complete the trifecta.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jeff d

Reaction score
Didn't see it posted yet, and while not the slickest of deals, Bank of America has a cash back deal you can add to your card for 10% back on AE purchases. Limit of 35$ I believe

Do you know or have any information if this would work at ShoeBank?

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know or have any information if this would work at ShoeBank?

I can't say conclusively, but all of AMEX's offers work across the various AE channels, so I would assume this is the same. The terms and conditions really didn't provide any clarification either.

AE.JPG

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plead guilty.

While I did have all of these shoes, I only rotated through a handful of them and would only wear those. They were:

Black Hills
Black Jefferson
Black Walton
Black PA
Chili Weybridge
Brown Long Branch
Bourbon Strand
Burgundy Shell PA
Burgundy Shell Macneil
Burgundy Shell Grayson
JBM (only during Christmas season)

Everything else just sat in boxes while collecting dust, and bloom.

It sounds silly to say this, but I am now getting pleasure from wearing my shoes and caring for my shoes (VSC, Saphir Reno, AE/Saphir shoe creams and polishes, etc.). It's really great. Although I joined SF back in late 2014, I wasn't actively doing anything until this year.

Better late than never I guess.
In fairness, your "short bench" is really quite nice. I suppose I can see why there wasn't much of a hurry.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moose22

Reaction score
Lol...im ok. Definitely have far too many myself too. Yeah, you know, i just dont get what happened. They had some excellent people over the years - allison, sandi, another guy bill, then i remember i was literally there the day laney started. Ironically kristen was there training her, small world, huh?

I'm sorry to hear about this decline. I guess I got there at the end of the good time. They were probably having other problems in the end and I guess I understand why the store closed. But it sounds like you still have the right person to work with!

There was no convenience for me. Freeport is literally as far away as you can get from me and still be in the lower 48 states, but some other outlets wouldn't respond when you pinged them about shoes, so I'd just call Freeport and ask no matter where the shoebank said things were located.

Here's the thing. I don't like to complain too much here. But I've had issues as well. In fact, my Bartletts are the only firsts I've gotten with NO issues -- beside the fact that I don't like the spray-on finish they seem to have gone to. But that's personal preference.

But the customer service, even when they repeatedly f_ed up, was always good. They'd keep trying and even threw some gift certificates my way because I got caught in an endless loop of difficulties. That's how I ended up with the shell gunboats. I had $150 in gift certs, they went on sale for what I think is the last bargain price on Shell (it's always $150 more than it used to be these days) and the shoes were literally perfect. Like, the "flaw" was a somewhat dark patch that is actually just the patina shell has that actually makes the shoes look better if it were perfect.

So the GOOD customer service is why I have Shell AE instead of Aldens right now. If I didn't already have a ridiculous stash of AE I might still be shopping. Assuming they have anything on a last I can fit, of course.

bathiel

Reaction score
Finally got around to finishing the inventory of my, ahem, "collection." I've now got a decent spreadsheet with a good amount of detail on every piece of footwear I own (not including hiking boots, flip flops, and the Crocs I wear to take out the garbage). For your weaseling pleasure, I present the first few columns of my shoes:

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 2.25.01 PM.png

And my boots:

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 2.24.33 PM.png

And others just for fun:
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 2.24.52 PM.png

And this is why I'm on a self-imposed moratorium on new purchases for a while!

Bernie

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally got around to finishing the inventory of my, ahem, "collection." I've now got a decent spreadsheet with a good amount of detail on every piece of footwear I own (not including hiking boots, flip flops, and the Crocs I wear to take out the garbage). For your weaseling pleasure, I present the first few columns of my shoes:

View attachment 933453

And my boots:

View attachment 933455

And others just for fun:
View attachment 933458
And this is why I'm on a self-imposed moratorium on new purchases for a while!

Bernie

"Honey, come here and look at the list of shoes this guy has. See, I really do not have nearly that many. I really do not have a problem at all. Right? Right? By the way, you may see a UPSP box later this afternoon."

bathiel

Reaction score
"Honey, come here and look at the list of shoes this guy has. See, I really do not have nearly that many. I really do not have a problem at all. Right? Right? By the way, you may see a UPSP box later this afternoon."
Ha! I have the most amazing wife. She actually thought it was somehow endearing that I was creating a spreadsheet to keep track of all my footwear.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the Macallisters lately, I'm pulling out mine.
View attachment 933276
Thanks for posting those,there’s a guy in the barbershop with the exact same shoes,totally dried out,scuffed,unshined and going to seed-hard to look at,he looks to be about mid 50s so we can’t blame the young dudes for this one! Tried to get a good spy pic but lighting didn’t properly show the travesty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads