• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden shoes for men in their 20s?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. first of all I don't own any Alden shoes but I do have three pairs of AEs. But here is my coinage of minimum denomination:
CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT!

While I would not expect Fok to ever take to something like those they can be pulled off even casually, depending on your style and what you pair them with (the Fairfax is the one that I do wear occasionally with slim corduroys).
And if you are going to need shoes that are more plain for an interview or something of the sort, a conservative AE or Alden will be perfect.

Granted that some C&J, Tramezza or Santoni may very well be much more striking and stylish but as i mentioned, that is not always appropriate or what you are looking for...

P.s. death to the tassel loafer
peepwall[1].gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alden's are boring

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Alden's are boring

No disagreement there.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden's boring image can be explained by their lack of refinement and funkiness: think rival English & Italian makers respectively.
Still, you can own a pair of quality made-in-States shoes. Just be certain to have Preparation-H handy before you glance @ PE price list
laugh.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's wrong with wearing a black EG, JL or Santoni captoe to an interview? Alden/AEs are nice but certainly not any better than those for business formal purposes.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Horace
I've come around to the tassle loafer now. I think they're rather hip because they aren't.
24 and rock Alden burgundy calf tassels and a suede C&J tassel and get lots of compliments, yet to wear my RLPL EG Edwardian Antique tassel, but i will. Agree wholeheartedly with the above statement. With confidence, you can pull off almost anything*. *ALMOST But i also prefer the sleeker lasts of the Italian and British makers. Just bought these trickers: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=015 certainly a far far cry from "boring tasseled alden's" -- but I really enjoy a change of pace, the same thing everyday is what bores me.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
The Alden Fan shoes would look fine on the 20-something set - especially the chukkas or the square toed blucher.

For whatever perverse reason my 22-year-old stepson just loathes chukka boots. I thought it was just his hang-up, but his cousin, who sold shoes at Nordstrom for three years, and her boyfriend, who also sold shoes for Nordstrom, share his disdain. When I mentioned that a co-worker of mine who had worked for GQ and Harper's Bazaar had told me she loved suede chukkas on men, they asked how old she was. I said that, being a gentleman, I hadn't inquired, but I estimated mid-30s perhaps. They said that maybe an "older woman"[sic] like that might like them but not somebody young and hip. Given that I am in my seventh decade, hearing a woman who was maybe 36 or 37 described as an "older woman" really hurt!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
For whatever perverse reason my 22-year-old stepson just loathes chukka boots. I thought it was just his hang-up, but his cousin, who sold shoes at Nordstrom for three years, and her boyfriend, who also sold shoes for Nordstrom, share his disdain. When I mentioned that a co-worker of mine who had worked for GQ and Harper's Bazaar had told me she loved suede chukkas on men, they asked how old she was. I said that, being a gentleman, I hadn't inquired, but I estimated mid-30s perhaps. They said that maybe an "older woman"[sic] like that might like them but not somebody young and hip. Given that I am in my seventh decade, hearing a woman who was maybe 36 or 37 described as an "older woman" really hurt!

I generally don't like chukkas overly much either, but these are pretty sweet... I'd wear em.

634991276sx.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Alden's boring image can be explained by their lack of refinement and funkiness: think rival English & Italian makers respectively.
Still, you can own a pair of quality made-in-States shoes. Just be certain to have Preparation-H handy before you glance @ PE price list
laugh.gif

what are these shoes?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own approximately forty pairs of dress shoes, even a few redundancies within my collection, but I have never considered purchasing a tassel loafer. I have one pair of Aldens that were commissioned for Brooks Brothers. The quality is nice, but I just prefer the sleeker lines and cleaner finish of British shoes.

Jan-
I don't get the aversion to Chukka Boots. All the most trendy designers including Prada and Paul Smith sell variations of the Chukka boot or chelsea. I personally prefer the chelsea for comfort and chukka with rubber soles for poor weather.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
what are these shoes?

Those are by Ercolino. List price for MTMs starts @ - drum roll - $2600

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I generally don't like chukkas overly much either, but these are pretty sweet... I'd wear em.

634991276sx.jpg

Spill the beans drizzt, you got plans on riding a broom?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Spill the beans drizzt, you got plans on riding a broom?

lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads