• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A or B?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Kine-what? I'm too lazy to google. Please 'splain.
One's motion, gait and stance. In this case how a garment interacts with one's motion. At issue in discussing between hard or soft tailoring is whether one's kinesthetics are high tone (stiff) or low tone (loose). A low tone person in a very structured garment will look as at ease or nonchalant as a higher tone person in an unstructured garment and it'll wear better. Neither clothes nor their wearers are static.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More to chew on:

shoulders.jpg

You realize, of course, that this "poll" is the equivalent of asking someone if they have stopped beating their wife.

Both are both awful and acceptable in their own ways. First, I have to second Doc. I cannot imagine what is supposed to be going on with the shoulders on A. Has he got a double hunchback or what?

In any event, the question is absurd. B is wearing UCBD, apart from not wearing a tie. I think not wearing a tie with a suit is pretty bad anyway but if you're going to assert your inner fashionista by not wearing a tie with a white shirt and the most boring suit imaginable it becomes a fail of epic proportions. His sleeves are too long as well.

A would happily trade his look for B's if it included sticking B with both his jacket and the extra 50 pounds he is carrying. A's look in terms of texture, color and detail is far superior but his jacket seems to be a true sack in that it was apparently made out of an actual sack. It might look better if the guy weren't standing with his hands in his pockets. I hope so, anyway, because if his button is still pulling like that with his hands at his sides he must have serious difficulty breathing when wearing that jacket.

literasyme

Reaction score
B is boring and GQ-y. A is interesting but doesn't fit well, and the jacket looks out-dated. Still A it is for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If you really mean that, you can save several thousand dollars on your next sportcoat by visiting my local thrift shop.

marchal.gif

In all seriousness, I can't imagine the shoulders on your coats will end up looking like that.

I guess I judge fit less than overall appearance, except on me. He looks very stylish overall, and kind of reminds me of how my father dressed when he got on in years, so I like it. Good style can hide a multitude of fit flaws, which is why some people do look good dressing from thrift shops.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
No tie is better than a drab, lifeless one.

I completely disagree. I think that a great many different ties are preferable to a drab, lifeless one. You have really strange taste in ties.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I guess I judge fit less than overall appearance, except on me. He looks very stylish overall, and kind of reminds me of how my father dressed when he got on in years, so I like it. Good style can hide a multitude of fit flaws, which is why some people do look good dressing from thrift shops.

It's funny how much our influences can shape us. My tastes are very much the product of my grandfather's style. So I understand what you're getting at.

In terms of fit flaws, I don't mind at all when an older man's clothes don't fit like they used to. Find it charming, even. But the clothes ought to look like they did, at one point, fit, and I don't think LB's coat meets that standard.

I'd warm to the coat more if it were, say, his father's, but I'm skeptical, based on the styling, that it was.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It's hard for a tie to stand out positively when every single item on the guy's body is a different color and texture. It's a sartorial yardsale.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
I completely disagree. I think that a great many different ties are preferable to a drab, lifeless one. You have really strange taste in ties.

I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of A's tie--I'd never wear it myself--but 'drab'?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
At least I can excuse that as ***** and giggles/Internet persona/sexual fetish etc. But how do you explain "people in the net don't like my clothes/me/my tailor and I need vindication" and how does the other side explain themselves "we disliked a guy that we never met so much that we spent a lot of time insulting him and his tailor"
confused.gif

Yeah, well, I agree. That's pretty lame.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a lot of poll hate here that I think misses the point. The poll seems to be along the lines of "do you prefer the mountains or the beach." People seem to instead be focusing on what they dislike about this particular mountain or that particular beach.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
In terms of fit flaws, I don't mind at all when an older man's clothes don't fit like they used to. Find it charming, even. But the clothes ought to look like they did, at one point, fit, and I don't think LB's coat meets that standard.

But does A's jacket really have many flaws in fit? It looks pretty good to me--at least, as far as one can tell from the photo. What bothers me the most is the lack of lapel overlap and roll at the buttoning point; it's as if the button has been moved to the absolute outer edge of the jacket. I think you could get a similar effect by fastening the jacket closed with a safety pin. But other than that, what's wrong? He is not a thin or muscular man, and the jacket shows that in as positive a light as possible.

The chest-shoulder area of A's jacket, which I highlighted a few posts ago, is my favorite part.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
There's a lot of poll hate here that I think misses the point. The poll seems to be along the lines of "do you prefer the mountains or the beach." People seem to instead be focusing on what they dislike about this particular mountain or that particular beach.

Thank you, Mark. Thank you.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of A's tie--I'd never wear it myself--but 'drab'?

For an attorney, you are curiously insensitive to syntactic ambiguity. I hope you're not drafting contracts.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
For an attorney, you are curiously insensitive to syntactic ambiguity. I hope you're not drafting contracts.

Jeezus. What makes B's tie 'drab'?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics