• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Game Of Thrones trailer

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I honestly can't even remember what the hell is going on in the series. Long breaks like this make me really hate Fantasy series. Plus, there's always the possibility (this is Martin after all) that he won't resolve **** and we'll still be waiting for juicy details into book 6.
4 more years! Edit: not sure how I feel about the first few scenes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I honestly can't even remember what the hell is going on in the series. Long breaks like this make me really hate Fantasy series.

Plus, there's always the possibility (this is Martin after all) that he won't resolve **** and we'll still be waiting for juicy details into book 6.

Yeah, he's pretty brutal about leaving things hanging.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything looks stunning, but...

The opening sequence wasn't great...
The Wall looks awesome, but it looks like the 3 men from the Night's Watch travel a couple hundred yards and then find the wildlings. Also, in the book they appear to be sleeping, not chopped into little bits, and Gared (sp?) is the one who survives, not Will. The biggest difference was that 2 of the 3 men were killed by wights, but in the book they're killed by Others. Disappointing you don't get to see the Others but it makes sense. The only other big inaccuracy I noted was that they have Bran being 10 when he is 8 I believe at the start of the first book.

Now I'm crazy stoked for the show to start!

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell. If those were wights than they totally screwed them up. Wights aren't that fast, they dont use weapons and they don't exhibit any form of higher thought. That couldnt have been a wight that killed gared, and if it was an other than we really have a problem. Other than that I thought it was excellent.

Edit* as I've said before the producers aged the children since this story is full of very adult themes.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reynard369
Everything looks stunning, but...

The opening sequence wasn't great...
The Wall looks awesome, but it looks like the 3 men from the Night's Watch travel a couple hundred yards and then find the wildlings. Also, in the book they appear to be sleeping, not chopped into little bits, and Gared (sp?) is the one who survives, not Will. The biggest difference was that 2 of the 3 men were killed by wights, but in the book they're killed by Others. Disappointing you don't get to see the Others but it makes sense. The only other big inaccuracy I noted was that they have Bran being 10 when he is 8 I believe at the start of the first book.

Now I'm crazy stoked for the show to start!

Granted, but it looks like a pretty awesome show anyway.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
What the hell. If those were wights than they totally screwed them up. Wights aren't that fast, they dont use weapons and they don't exhibit any form of higher thought. That couldnt have been a wight that killed gared, and if it was an other than we really have a problem. Other than that I thought it was excellent. Edit* as I've said before the producers aged the children since this story is full of very adult themes.
They're defintely wights, not others, but I guess they didn't want Dawn of the Dead-type Zombie creatures
Originally Posted by CDFS
Granted, but it looks like a pretty awesome show anyway.
Without a doubt, can't wait for the premiere.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thank god for amazon prime...

Ordering the 4-book set now...will be reading them on the plane on wednesday and hopefully finishing the first one before the vacation is over.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
these books haven't aged that well.

Really? I just read the first one again and like it just as much as the first time I read it. Not sure about the other though.

fir3fox

Reaction score
In my mind I pictured Catelyn a little younger and a lot more attractive. I guess I could continue to nitpick but overall I thought the preview was awesome and it gave me a good feeling about the rest of the series.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
these books haven't aged that well.

You tripping.

I can understand not having Dawn of the Dead type wights, but the wight that killed Gared not only cut his head off with a sword, but then looked at Will and threw the head at him. That was too much.

JustChris

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm a longtime fan of the series- loved them since I read the first book over Christmas break back in 1997. But I've steadily lost patience with the whole thing grinding out forever. Quality seems to have dropped overall, too. The first 3 books were awesome, but the last one flat out sucked.

Seems to me that GRRM is taking his sweet assed time because his heart just isn't in it anymore, but the money is too much to walk away. And as for that July 17 release date; well, let's just say that I remember Amazon taking pre-sales for A Storm Of Sword and then cancelling my order. I won't believe the book is ready to publish until I'm holding the damn thing in my hands. And I fully expect Martin to die before he finishes the last book, cause at this rate, he'll be pushing 80 by then and he's a fat, unhealthy dude.

As for the show, well, it might be cool. I'm not hyped about the casting on several characters, though. As previously mentioned, Dinklage is cool, but Tyrion Lannister should be a horrible disfigured little troll of a man. Addy just doesn't seem to have the ex-soldier badassed-ness he should, and while I think Sean Bean is a great actor, he is not, I repeat, not Ned Stark. I'm trying to keep an open mind despite my reservations.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I certainly hope this doesn't end up like Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series.

Brandon Sanderson has done a great job with TGS and TOM, and I can't wait for AMOL
bounce2.gif

Plus all this is making me
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
so much. I can't wait for the next book so we can get back to the wall and the Dany/Jon vs the Others showdown which is coming.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustChris
Don't get me wrong, I'm a longtime fan of the series- loved them since I read the first book over Christmas break back in 1997. But I've steadily lost patience with the whole thing grinding out forever. Quality seems to have dropped overall, too. The first 3 books were awesome, but the last one flat out sucked.

Seems to me that GRRM is taking his sweet assed time because his heart just isn't in it anymore, but the money is too much to walk away. And as for that July 17 release date; well, let's just say that I remember Amazon taking pre-sales for A Storm Of Sword and then cancelling my order. I won't believe the book is ready to publish until I'm holding the damn thing in my hands. And I fully expect Martin to die before he finishes the last book, cause at this rate, he'll be pushing 80 by then and he's a fat, unhealthy dude.

As for the show, well, it might be cool. I'm not hyped about the casting on several characters, though. As previously mentioned, Dinklage is cool, but Tyrion Lannister should be a horrible disfigured little troll of a man. Addy just doesn't seem to have the ex-soldier badassed-ness he should, and while I think Sean Bean is a great actor, he is not, I repeat, not Ned Stark. I'm trying to keep an open mind despite my reservations.

I think Sean Bean as Ned Stark was a good casting decision, except for the fact that Ned Stark is supposed to be 35 and Sean Bean is 50 and looks it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads