• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Challenge - Good Overcoat/Topcoat for Tall/Slim Guy under $200?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'm holding out hope.

A few years back, a friend gave me his coat that was gifted to him since it was too large. It was a heavy wool overcoat from the GAP. The quality was okayish, the sleeves were a bit too short because I'm tall, and it was quite a bit too wide, since I'm skinny. It was single breasted, and black.

Still, I got tons of compliments on it. Probably because most of the people around me were wearing columbia jackets that look like marshmallows, or because that's what I wore before getting it.

In either case, I ruined that in a car accident, and am in the market for something to replace it. I live in Iowa, so I will see snow, and have 2-3 months of below freezing weather. I'd love to find a single breasted coat in a medium to dark grey that's long enough for me (I'm 6' 6"), but that I don't swim in (180lb) for under $200. Possible? Ebay is too much of a crapshoot it would seem (excuse the terminology). Would love your feedback!

Arsenal

Reaction score
Bumping this rather than starting a new thread. I'm interested in a slim fit overcoat as well. I'm not tall (5'11"), but I am slim, and most of the overcoats I see are very boxy fitting and just completely unflattering on my frame.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread. I'm interested in a slim fit overcoat as well. I'm not tall (5'11"), but I am slim, and most of the overcoats I see are very boxy fitting and just completely unflattering on my frame.

Your best bet is to buy the best quality coat you can find in your budget that fits ok and then have it altered to get a nicer fit for yourself.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Try Banana Republic. Not the best quality ever, but they make a solid coat. You'll need to wait for a sale though (fortunately, these happen every few days)

Ahheck01

Reaction score

Your best bet is to buy the best quality coat you can find in your budget that fits ok and then have it altered to get a nicer fit for yourself.

Where should I look? Should I just walk into a department store and go that route? Everything I'm finding online is either a complete crapshoot or $250+.

club monaco..  maybe with a sale their stuff is attainable with your budget. 

I live in Cedar Rapids, IA - not sure that there's anyplace reliable I can look for Club Monaco, and they don't have an online store for men.

-Evan

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This really isn't thaat difficult. Rugby and J Crew usually have nice slim coats sub 200 during sales. You are asking at the worst time since most of the inventory and sales are finishing up. Couple of toggle coats on Rugby for 199.99 and you can try to score a student discount 15% off.

OinkBoink

Reaction score
I was in Banana Republic last night because I too am shopping for an overcoat. They had a 40% off sale in store and they have tall sizes (which is what I also need) online. The 40% didn't apply to online orders as of last night, but if such a sale returns, they should have a selection under $200 that would fit. I'll probably pass because I'm looking for something a bit higher quality overall, but they seemed to have some solid choices for under $200.

Arsenal

Reaction score
How about something in the $300-700 range? I've tried on quite a bit of different coats and still haven't been able to find one that I really like.

runner-guy

Reaction score
+1 for Banana Republic coats. I bought a wool coat on sale there about five years ago and it has held up very well.

Last edited:

Ahheck01

Reaction score

how about jcpenney or even target.

I'm not sure if the quality makes these options worthwhile?

Try H&M too. Quality is ehhh, but you should be able to find something nice and slim-fitting, and it will most likely be sub-$100

Their online selection is... questionable.

I was in Banana Republic last night because I too am shopping for an overcoat. They had a 40% off sale in store and they have tall sizes (which is what I also need) online. The 40% didn't apply to online orders as of last night, but if such a sale returns, they should have a selection under $200 that would fit. I'll probably pass because I'm looking for something a bit higher quality overall, but they seemed to have some solid choices for under $200.

That sounds great - how should I go about making sure I don't miss the next sale? Not sure how you guys make sure you hear about these?

How about something in the $300-700 range? I've tried on quite a bit of different coats and still haven't been able to find one that I really like.

If I see some suggestions for around or slightly over $300 that are leagues above the quality that $200ish can get me, I'm open to that.

Ahheck01

Reaction score

I'm not sure if the quality makes these options worthwhile?
Their online selection is... questionable.
That sounds great - how should I go about making sure I don't miss the next sale? Not sure how you guys make sure you hear about these?
If I see some suggestions for around or slightly over $300 that are leagues above the quality that $200ish can get me, I'm open to that.

Still have no idea how to track the sales?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
normanlawrence