• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2018 50 Book Challenge

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
113. The Gods of Mars Edgar Rice Burroughs 1913

Our hero John Carter returns to Mars. He is deposited near the temple of Mars' deity, a little old mean nasty cannibal lady. He collaborates with the mighty green men (Mars' marines), the red men from Helium, and a race of black men called the First Born to expose the supposed goddess and show she is a mere human. It will be interesting to see what effect toppling the world's religion will have on the planet going forward.

And there's a good cliff hanger at the end of the book. Might revise my 4 corner strategy.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

What's the 4 corner strategy Steve?

Edgar Rice Burroughs
Louis L'Amour
Airplane thrillers
List books

I should pick up some more list books, but with 50 others waiting on the bedroom floor it's hard to get motivated.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. I hadn't noticed that pattern.

I have 2 unread books on my bedside table, 5 more on my bedroom drawers, around 10 on the coffee table in the living room, and somewhere between 50-100 in various bookshelves around the place. If I never buy or borrow another book, I still don't think I'll live long enough to get through them all.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's only like 2 years worth?

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar situation, would say I have at least 100 books unread on book shelves. Doubt I will get through them before I die. There is probably a reason many of them sit there gathering dust.

On a happier note, I feel I am in good health, I am of extremely young age and a nice package with several list books and Edgar Rice Burroughs are incoming from Amazon, my preferred pusher.

Just so overwhelmed with work these days, I am worrying I will fail to reach that juicy 100 target.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's only like 2 years worth?

I should show you a photo some time. Some of them are real door-stops, some are fairly hefty science books etc. I exaggerate a bit, of course, but it's a lot more than 2 years. A lot of them have been sitting there more than 10 years already.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Similar situation, would say I have at least 100 books unread on book shelves. Doubt I will get through them before I die. There is probably a reason many of them sit there gathering dust.

On a happier note, I feel I am in good health, I am of extremely young age and a nice package with several list books and Edgar Rice Burroughs are incoming from Amazon, my preferred pusher.

Just so overwhelmed with work these days, I am worrying I will fail to reach that juicy 100 target.

Wasn't aware you were a Burrough-a-phile, Clock....

When I was reading books from the library I'd keep around 10. The books were my Dad's....

114. The Warlord of Mars 1913 Edgar Rice Burroughs

A new race of fierce Martians is discovered. They are yellow and hirsute. They live at the North Pole, and have a giant magnet. The magnet is used to disarm unsuspecting enemies, who are then enslaved.

John Carter's princess Dejah Thoris has been imprisoned there as well as her grandfather and father. He disables the device, and rescues all concerned. He is named Jeddak of Jeddaks (chief of chiefs) and Warlord of Mars for his efforts.

Really liked the book.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should show you a photo some time. Some of them are real door-stops, some are fairly hefty science books etc. I exaggerate a bit, of course, but it's a lot more than 2 years. A lot of them have been sitting there more than 10 years already.

I channel my inner Oli and ditch anything I haven't read after 2 years (except Dostoevsky)

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
115. Thuvia, Maid of Mars Edgar Rice Burroughs 1916

Thuvia has played minor parts in prior books but here she is the heroine, along with Carthoris, son of John Carter. She has been stolen by a prince rival to her betrothed and to Carthoris. During the ensuing swashbuckling, she falls in love with Carter's son. Seeing this, her fiancee releases her from her vows.

Our hero and heroine are now free to mate, which I assume they do right vigorously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads