• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

13.5 oz Cone Mills Selvedge, Made in San Fransisco, and only $81? Kickstarter

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Super Heavies, in a 31 slim. Had ordered previously at a 30 slim, and those were just way too small, these are perfect. Nice and easy through the top block, but still tight and needing a bit of stretch in the waistband. Interesting denim, not quite what I thought it would be. The weft shows through *very* strongly, it's like there are diagonal white lines running through the whole thing. Should be a great 18 oz denim, for cold and work. I actually think these fit better than my Raleighs, honestly.

Now just need something to come by in a medium weight that I want. Wish I'd confirmed my size for the blue x black or the natural indigo. Maybe I'll get the American Classic when it comes by again, but not sure yet.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever returned jeans for a diff size?
... i wanna order but dont want to be stuck with a wrong size.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

has anyone ever returned jeans for a diff size?
... i wanna order but dont want to be stuck with a wrong size.

You can't return for a size change; they don't keep stock. I think they might give store credit but not sure

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey man you still trying to post those pictures?

Still trying to take them! Was low sun yesterday and my timed cellfone selfie looked like I was caught in a nuclear blast!
If I ask the missus to take a picture the howls of derision will be heard from Glasgow to SoCal

xizenta

Reaction score

Still trying to take them! Was low sun yesterday and my timed cellfone selfie looked like I was caught in a nuclear blast!
If I ask the missus to take a picture the howls of derision will be heard from Glasgow to SoCal

haha. Does anyone have experience canceling a pledge? After I got that e-mail back from them "answering" my question I was really turned off to the company. I don't know if I want this anymore :/.

I measured my own knee at 17" around with a measuring tape, and my thigh was 24". The size 36 slim fit says 16.8" and 24.4", I'm thinking it's not really gonna work. I wouldn't mind the straight fit, if the cuffs weren't like 19 inches.

dlebowski

Reaction score

Got my Heavy American's yesterday. They are pretty stiff, heavy-ish, and feel of good quality. They were kind of damp in the priority mail bag, and smelled weird - but not a real big deal.

I got 33 straights, and really didn't pay attention to their sizing advice. I wear a 33 in Levi's 501 and 32 in 2012 Gap selvedge straights (a decent economy jean). The Gustin's were only a tad tight, and loosened up with some squats.

I'm disappointed with the cut. It's much looser in the legs than I expected, and the rise is higher than I expected. The new Levi's 504 fit and Gap selvege straights offer a better straight profile in my opinion.

I bought these just to check them out, but I'm not sure I'll put them into a regular rotation, which kind of defeats the purpose as they won't wear. These are probably destined for a pile in my closet...

My opinion is turning. While I wish the rise was a bit lower, I've been giving them a try, and I'm pretty happy with them. Something in between their slim and straight with a lower rise would be perfect.

Overall, I'd buy again if an interesting fabric choice comes along.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
Got my size 29 slim fit 1776 and heavy American yesterday. Trying to break in the 1776 right now and it's a tight fit in the waist and thighs. Hoping to break them in asap as I can't even do a full squat in these! Briefly tried on the heavy American but wasn't even close to closing it. It's definitely lot stiffer than the 1776 and feel like it's gonna take a lot longer to break in. I'm definitely gonna have to get them hemmed later cause I normally have a size 28 inseam and I'm not a fan of stacking/cuffing

coolron

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of Gustins. A Japan Classic in 33 straight. The fit does not work for me at all. The rise is fine but the legs are just far too baggy and long.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got my first pair of Gustins. A Japan Classic in 33 straight. The fit does not work for me at all. The rise is fine but the legs are just far too baggy and long.
Have you rolled them to the point to where the length would work and then see if they are baggy? They are a 36" inseam so they are going to be too long for just about everyone but I would not asses the fit based on something that is easily altered

dlebowski

Reaction score

Have you rolled them to the point to where the length would work and then see if they are baggy? They are a 36" inseam so they are going to be too long for just about everyone but I would not asses the fit based on something that is easily altered

33 is still a 34" inseam

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Gustin, I've found the straight to be very baggy, like a 501 STF *before* shrinking it. The slims aren't that slim, they are more like a 514 fit, so someone looking for a straight fit might actually really appreciate the fit of the slims. As for inseam length, yeah that's how raw denim comes, any good raws are going to be super long inseam, to facilitate cuffs and stacks. In my opinion, at 60 and a 31 waist, I wish the inseam length was longer. 34" just isn't quite long enough (though it's more like 35").

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

With Gustin, I've found the straight to be very baggy, like a 501 STF *before* shrinking it. The slims aren't that slim, they are more like a 514 fit, so someone looking for a straight fit might actually really appreciate the fit of the slims. As for inseam length, yeah that's how raw denim comes, any good raws are going to be super long inseam, to facilitate cuffs and stacks. In my opinion, at 60 and a 31 waist, I wish the inseam length was longer. 34" just isn't quite long enough (though it's more like 35").

The straights are baggy? I've got slims and the thighs are pretty tight and I'm hoping it stretches just a little bit but then again I have the size 29s

dcinitial

Reaction score

Yea the straights are too baggy for me. PM me if anyone wants to trade. I have a pair of size 34 Japan Classics straight for a pair of size 35 slims. Thanks all.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmileFile