• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1/4 & 3/4 collar sizes

SanktDavid

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know the reason behind why some shirtmakers only sell shirts with collar sizes in either whole or half numbers? I have especially noticed that several italian shirt makers have quarter sizes but most english have whole or half.

Regards

Ivar

Reaction score
It's because all European manufacturers except for the British measure the collar size in centimeters. Thus:

EU size 38 (cm) = UK/US size 14.96 (inches)
EU size 39 (cm) = UK/US size 15.35 (inches)
EU size 40 (cm) = UK/US size 15.75 (inches)
EU size 41 (cm) = UK/US size 16.14 (inches)
EU size 42 (cm) = UK/US size 16.54 (inches)

SanktDavid

Reaction score
Doesn't that mean that some British manufacturers jump over a pretty large segment of customers by only carrying whole and half sizes. I myself am a 15 3/4(15.5 too small and 16 too big). I find myself having to ignore most British shirtmakers because of that, which is kind of a bummer. Perhaps I'm not digging deep enough. Do you know any British companies who carry quarter sizes?

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and this is why metric is superior, kids. if you can't fit a shirt collar using imperial, you sure as hell can't fly to the moon xD

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DumbAndDumberGag.gif

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Doesn't that mean that some British manufacturers jump over a pretty large segment of customers by only carrying whole and half sizes. I myself am a 15 3/4(15.5 too small and 16 too big). I find myself having to ignore most British shirtmakers because of that, which is kind of a bummer. Perhaps I'm not digging deep enough. Do you know any British companies who carry quarter sizes?

move the collar button!
shirt manufacturers can't afford to produce and stock so many sizes.

their is a reason custom shirtmakers keep busy

transitoryanglo

Reaction score
move the collar button!
shirt manufacturers can't afford to produce and stock so many sizes.

their is a reason custom shirtmakers keep busy
sorry to necro a 10 year old thread but is this actually a good idea? im awkwardly between sizes myself. a size S shirt labelled 14.5 to 15 are always uncomfortably tight done up on me, but the next step up at a size M, which supposedly does 15-15.5, is loose enough for me to fit 4 fingers in comfortably (not my whole had though, and i have relatively small hands).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads