• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$0.99 double cheeseburger.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wahwho11
calories are calories

You think a 100 calories of saturated fat is the same as 100 calories of protein? Come on.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dmash- most of what you have said is spot on. that being said, you are kind of coming off as a dick. i can tell you know what youre talking about, but only because ive spent years of my own time researching the matter. you will not sway anyones opinion in here. the proper explanation for what you are trying to say would take way too long

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
You also have to take into account how your body will react taking in those 3 meals. Your metabolism will be slowed down and your body will also start storing everything your eating to have energy reserves.

My argument is that it IS extremely unhealthy and there's no arguing that fact. Plain and simple.

and regarding personal trainers..most of them are also quacks IMHO. They look like **** yet preach their diets and bosu ball training that are the BEST. I let my body speak for itself. I'm a personal trainer because people come to me as they like what they see and how I train. I don't even market myself.

You guys can have your own opinions, I mean whatever. In the end though, it's pretty crazy that your going to defend yourself in an argument concerning unhealthy eating habits.

and Stephenhero, you're still a bozo. To try and insult my education concerning bodybuilding and fitness is like insulting a doctor for a misdiagnosis on a certain disease you know nothing about. You make no points but spit out little one word statements like you know something. What does your physique look like? What's your background concerning this?

So your answer is that you agree with me that in the scenario I posed, if that person ate that diet every single day, they would lose weight, right? Even though they are eating 2 double cheeseburgers per day, right? If you disagree with that and if you think that you can gain weight in spite of eating calories below maintenance based on the timing of the meals, you truly don't know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by dmash1080
You think a 100 calories of saturated fat is the same as 100 calories of protein? Come on.

It depends. You are not going to gain weight taking in an inadequate amount of protein, but if your talking strictly from a weight loss or gain perspective, then yes, calories are calories. Take in more than your maintenance amount of calories and you will lose weight, take in more than maintenance and you will gain weight. It's that simple.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
So your answer is that you agree with me that in the scenario I posed, if that person ate that diet every single day, they would lose weight, right? Even though they are eating 2 double cheeseburgers per day, right? If you disagree with that and if you think that you can gain weight in spite of eating calories below maintenance based on the timing of the meals, you truly don't know what you are talking about.

It depends. You are not going to gain weight taking in an inadequate amount of protein, but if your talking strictly from a weight loss or gain perspective, then yes, calories are calories. Take in more than your maintenance amount of calories and you will lose weight, take in more than maintenance and you will gain weight. It's that simple.

the content of the calories is the big issue here. will you lose weight? probably. but that loss will likely be muscle without enough protien. the loss of muscle will effect your metabolic rate (bmr) and in the long run you are only more likely to add more fat. in this case it would probably be in the best interest of your health to not lose any weight at all if that meant saving muscle

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
the content of the calories is the big issue here. will you lose weight? probably. but that loss will likely be muscle without enough protien. the loss of muscle will effect your metabolic rate (bmr) and in the long run you are only more likely to add more fat. in this case it would probably be in the best interest of your health to not lose any weight at all if that meant saving muscle

And this is based on what? 158g of daily protein intake is more than enough for any human being.

Sorry, but I disagreed with your earlier post that dmash(sp?) is knowledgable about nutrition. Anyone who talks of saturated fat as the next epidemic is out of his elements; any connection between dietary saturated fat and health conditions has been seriously challenged by recent research.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
And this is based on what? 158g of daily protein intake is more than enough for any human being.

Sorry, but I disagreed with your earlier post that dmash(sp?) is knowledgable about nutrition. Anyone who talks of saturated fat as the next epidemic is out of his elements; any connection between dietary saturated fat and health conditions has been seriously challenged by recent research.

you missed the point of the discussion (calories are calories). if only fat was eaten muscle would eventually be lost. period. addressing your recent research- it has long been thought that not all saturated fat sources are bad. furthermore, "recent" is not always "correct"

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you missed the point of the discussion (calories are calories). if only fat was eaten muscle would eventually be lost. period.

In your POV, perhaps. I was addressing the hypothetical situation odoreater brought up.

Whether certain foods are "healthy" or not completely depends on the person. To return to the original comment being contested, there's nothing inherently "unhealthy" about a 200lbs guy eating 2 double cheeseburger after removing a pair of buns, as long as he can fit such treat into a sensible diet.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got $1? get a spicy mcchicken, you fools! altho double cheeseburger is good too

the $1 whopper jr doesn't really hold a candle to either of them, although bk has a great fast food menu (sausage biscuits and croissanwiches? yes please!)

mcd's by contrast has a terrible fast food menu.

what do you guys think

edit - what's this? the conversation has shifted to the topic of weight loss formulae calculations? let's bring it back around here, i'd appreciate some feedback about my fastfood claims

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

I was speaking of the saturated fat only speaking in the burger, my focus hasn't changed from this. Your ******* marsupialed to make a blunt statement like I'm not knowledgEable about nutrition. There are some seriously dense people on this board concerning nutrition. You're the idiot to claim saturated fat in that burger doesn't promote bad cholesterol which has been proven time and time again.

ALSO, absolute BULLSHIT for the 158g of protein. I know 250lb genetic freaks with their pro cards....they would drop muscle like crazy taking in 158g of protein. That's ridiculous.

Maybe YOU need to get some real life experience concerning this. Too many morons on the internet read some blogs and some articles and think they know **** about a subject. Give me a break.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dmash- most of what you have said is spot on. that being said, you are kind of coming off as a dick. i can tell you know what youre talking about, but only because ive spent years of my own time researching the matter. you will not sway anyones opinion in here. the proper explanation for what you are trying to say would take way too long

I guess I am being a little bit of a dick, it's just annoying that people REALLY think they know what their talking about. Especially to the point where they want to claim I'm wrong, when in reality they are misinformed.

Everybody can talk a big game on the internet, in the end, you have to look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself "Do I really like what I see?"

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Nobody gives a **** what you look like. We give a **** about you butchering the English language and your incorrect statement regarding fat as a fuel source.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Nobody gives a **** what you look like. We give a **** about you butchering the English language and your incorrect statement regarding fat as a fuel source.

Run along now, run along
laugh.gif

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
(500 extra calories/visit) x (2 visits/month) x (12 months/year) = 12000 cal/year (12000 cal/year) x (20 years) x (1/3500 lb/cal) = 68 lbs
so by this bullet proof math, running 5 miles or so twice a month (obviously increasing the distance as i lose weight so the cal burned equal around 500) should lead me to end up weighing 70 lbs by the time i'm 47? you just convinced me of the dangers of even minimal exercise

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As usual, we have a few people who think what they say applies with equal force in all situations. Calories are calories to some extent. There is being healthy and balanced and having particular training goals. Not everyone needs to fuel their bodies with the same nutrients for different goals. Not everyone wants to be buff, cut or in shape enough to do a triathalon or 100 mile bike ride.

If your goal is to maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart even if it means you're not all muscle, a little bit of chub (which is decent for someone who gets older), then $1 double cheeseburgers a few times a month isn't going to kill you, particularly if you make an effort to stay active (and being a gym rat isn't the only way to stay active). Nor will it be catostrophic for your health. Maintenance just needs a balance of calories in = calories out. Obviously you don't want this balance to be too skewed in favor of fat or carb calories, nor is this going to cut it if you actually want to see differences in your physique.

Not everyone has the time or inclination to eat 6 times a day, count how much protein they are consuming, drinking quarts of water today, making sure they hit all the food groups, etc. We are all not in college or in our 20s any more.

But I agree, if you're fat, unhealthy and generally sedentery, then quit eating the double cheeseburgers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads