• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

◕ ‿ ◕ May NPC - Temporary Management; New Rules

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've noticed that the breaks in the NPC often come at thrift stores.

Yep. I've been to a few thrift stores this month. I knew eventually I'd find something for myself that I couldn't leave, and I planned to use the charity provision when that happened. But if you 100% can't spend money, stay out of thrift stores.

At 5 dollars, I'd make the donation.

Done. Ten bucks well spent :)

Forgot to post this earlier, here is my wish list of items I'd like to buy, separated by items that are "needs" and others that are "nice-to-haves."

Very awesome. I've been wanting to do the same thing and will post it here soon.

Alright...my list.

FWIW, I have both a black silk knit and a black Hober grenadine. Both get a lot of use. Gray is a great choice too, though. Good passes on the club collar and the redundant Drakes.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last week guys. And looking really good. Like really, really good here. I've not heard back from harvey_birdman, but he said he'd be making a donation to charity and, well, since he's a lawyer, I trust him.

Members in Good Standing
Claghorn*
Man of Lint
ChetBakerSings*
Ianiceman
harvey_birdman*
mjd
msulinski**
md2010
bpa
PASstudy
Beatlegeuse
PMac
Waterloo
Da GOAT
Zzzzap*

Members on Probation
-

*lapsed but restored the balance with charity.
**used emergency funds

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Clag. I am holding strong. Haven't gone wnywhere near a store. Doing a lot of maintenance on my home over here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FIVE MORE DAYS. HOME STRETCH!

Resisted a Drakes tie on B&S. It is a light blue tie of which I already have the same design in cream and pink. Cantabrigian was kind enough to hold one of the ties he is selling for me to buy on midnight of the 28th. I've decided against ordering another Hober, but will be commissioning white and cream oxford shirts on the 29th.

On another note, I think I'll be starting the June thread soon. Any ideas for improvement will be most welcomed.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am impressed by your energy Clag. No suggestions come to mind. I'll easily finish May spend-free. I'll probably sit June out. Don't really need anything but I am getting an itch in my wallet.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't really need anything but I am getting an itch in my wallet.
Plan to scratch that itch in the last few days of May or the first few days of June. You control the itch, don't let the itch control you.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I think I failed, but hear me out. I was great all month, didn't buy anything, didn't even have many urges. But Epaulet was offering a pre-order for the Rudy fit of their trousers (the perfect fit for me, and they only offer pre-orders on this maybe 4 or 5 times per year max) and you had to get your order in by today. If I didn't, I would have had to wait another couple months before they offered another pre-order.

I ended up getting 2 pairs of staple trousers - navy linen and grey hopsack, which were both on the "needs" section of my wish list. I could have easily waited until the end if the month, or even next month, but I had to get my order in before the took the pre-order off their website.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
frown.gif

Doesn't epaulet know about NPC? Someone should inform them they should've waited two more days.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
June is almost here. Before buying new stuff, I'd rather spend money altering stuff I already own and love. Here's my tailoring wish list.

• Barbour Beaufort — take in sides 4", $90. My size 40 fits more like a traditional size 44. Hoping to get it to fit more like my Barbour International.
  • Brooks Brothers oxford cloth shirts x 7 — take in sides and sleeves and shorten, $180. I considered just buying new shirts, but a few of these are Black Fleece and the others barely worn, so I think they're worth altering. Will wear these casually, no tie.
  • Kiton 7 fold tie — reduce width to 3.5", $20. I picked this up at TJ Maxx a year ago. It's a navy repp with burgundy stripes and just under 4" wide.
  • O'Connell's shetland sweater — take in sides, $30. I bought this last winter. It's my favorite sweater but a size too large.

I've been gathering these quotes throughout the month. Just over $300 total, plus shipping (jacket has to be shipped to Barbour, the tie to Tie Crafters, and the sweater to knitalteration.com). Shirts will be done by the in-house guy at Brooks Brothers.

I'm still working on a complete wardrobe wish list a la Beatlegeuse.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:(

Doesn't epaulet know about NPC? Someone should inform them they should've waited two more days.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. If I failed, then it is what it is, but I feel good that I made it as long as I did without purchasing anything else throughout the rest of the month.

I'm still working on a complete wardrobe wish list a la Beatlegeuse.

Nice! I think everyone can benefit from having a full wish list. It's working so far, as the top two items on my list are what I got from Epaulet.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think everyone can benefit from having a full wish list. It's working so far, as the top two items on my list are what I got from Epaulet.
A good way to provide some self-confirmation that the purchase is really something you wanted.

------------

Members in Good Standing
Claghorn*
Man of Lint
ChetBakerSings*
Ianiceman
harvey_birdman*
mjd
msulinski**
md2010
bpa
PASstudy
PMac
Waterloo
Da GOAT
Zzzzap*
Betelgeuse

Members on Probation
- Beatlegeuse

----------------------

Also, the June NPC thread is now live.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/349323/june-no-purchase-club-temporary-management-new-rules

This weekend I'm commissioning two shirts, paying upfront, and getting a tie from Cantabrigian. I've got about 24 hours before I can start making purchases. I think the most of y'all have 36 or so.

nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif
Please post post-NPC purchases here in the thread.
nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I made it !
No purchase for the entire month.

There was something you almost got at one point. Do you still want to get it? (If so, you should, with the club's blessing).

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There was something you almost got at one point. Do you still want to get it? (If so, you should, with the club's blessing).
There was the sweater for $49 and TRIWA watch for $65. I am happy I didn’t buy it. First time in few years I had a purchase free month. Just 1 month helped me focus on what I need.
Little story – I had to go to a weeding about 2 weeks ago. I have few new suits for special occasions. But unfortunately none of them are altered(they have been sitting in closet for 6-24 months!). Even trousers are not done. I have been so busy buying staffs ; it didn’t matter if I wear it or not. Well 4 suits needs alteration. Bunch of pants need hamming.
I am trying to focus on what I have in my wardrobe and will try to get more wear out of them before making anymore useless purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads