The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 5930
Styleforum Top Picks
Reminder, 3 more hours to enter. The response has been great, and I'll definitely be doing this again.
NWT Ralph Lauren Purple Label shirt giveaway:
I am giving away this brand new with tags RLPL shirt, size XL, shipped at my expense, to someone who meets the following conditions:
1) Has a post count numbering less than 500 posts, but greater than 10 posts (and at least a few posts in this thread), and/or less than 12 months as a registered user (this will be a context-specific determination; I fully reserve the right to discard of this requirement at my discretion);
2) Has posted an awesome find in this thread, or, in the alternative, made an awesome contribution in some way, or, has otherwise consistently demonstrated that they embrace the overall original philosophy of this thread;
3) Has never mentioned the word "ebay" in a post (this will be a context-specific inquiry; if the reference is in passing or incidental, an exception will be made);
4) Has never used the terms "flip", "humblebrag", or "ethrift" in a thrift thread post (again, I will review post histories, and negative inferences will be drawn against post edits when context logically permits.);
5) Is a size XL (again, I will check post histories/edits/etc);
6) Has engaged in at least one pure trade on this thread, or here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/287214/the-un-official-thrift-buy-sell-trade-want-thread/1110. Alternatively, has received a shot-out or PM anywhere on SF for a non-money-transfer-involved trade.
My overriding purpose is, obviously, based on the conditions, to give some daps to the noob contributors.
Note1: Make no mistake, I will discriminate. I will review post histories. I will look for post edits. I will be unabashedly biased in my determination. Don't fuck with me.
Note2: This is fully thread-relevant, as I paid $0.00 for this shirt.
If you meet at least one other condition in addition to being a size XL (required), hit me on PM (I'm being very flexibile with the parameters. If you are humble enough to think you don't qualify, by implication you probably do, and should message me).
I'll stop considering PM's at 12:00AM Midnight, Friday night/Saturday morning, so that the shirt can arrive Christmas Eve via USPS Priority wherever it ends up.
full disclosure I proxied butt plugs and butterfly knives for him to sell on the canadian black market
As an added bonus, I'm also giving away this Oxxford tie, free, shipped at my expense, to a poster of @Fueco's choosing that meets the following conditions:
1) Has less than 500 total posts, but more than 50.
2) Has had a registered account for more than 2 months (this is flexible; it's only meant to prevent giving it to someone's alt account)
3) Has engaged in at least one successful no-cash trade (a heavy proof burden isn't needed)
If @Fueco refuses to designate someone, or that person doesn't want the tie, I will choose among the entrants on the RLPL freebie. Unfortunately, this one probably won't make it by Christmas.
A sidenote on this tie: it was given to me in my early years as a poster, as a throw in completely free from one of the most generous guys around. So I guess in that sense it was also thrifted for $0.00.
Amen! Let's take back the thread, and post what we paid for stuff like they did back at post #1 (the brag being "I got this and only paid $x for it"). Andro, looking forward to your next haul with prices!
It's where I get my 222's...and they're legalizing prostitution last I heard.
If you're on a mission from God, more power to you.
I don't mean to come off as crass or as an a55h0le, but what bothers me most about Andro is the insinuation that it's wrong to ask for money for stuff in lieu of trades her. If someone here is genuinely interested in something I post, and they're regular posters, I'll make something happen. I sent off 11 bow ties today to two regulars here (which, if you're paying attention, means that I still have 5 available, so hit me up if you're interested).
I happen to live in one of the best places in the country to thrift, so there's not a lot of stuff that I'm looking to trade for. I generally find way more than I actually need. Mein Gott, I actually now have three Orvis shirts and two Filson shirts that are more than I could ever need in that genre, my closest is overflowing with all sorts of sizes of dress shirts. It's probably a good thing that my mother in law is coming to visit this coming week, I'll be able to spend more time at home listing stuff instead of buying more!
So, for those of us who live in the Bay Area or LA Basin or NYC area, what's philosophically wrong with asking for $5 + cost +shipping on stuff we post here? Isn't it still in the "spirit of this thread" to offer someone something for $20 or $40 that might cost $200 or $300 if purchased at discounted retail? I'm all for trading where it works out, but there is absolutely nothing wrong in my book with cash.
Scenario: a friend asks you, "Hey, if you see a pair of decent selvage jeans in a 32x32 for under $50, can you pick them up for me?"
Would you, (a)Tell him, "Sure, if I find something I'll let you know how much, and charge you only what I paid."
(b) Tell him, "Sure, but I can only accept a trade as payment, here's what I need......"
(c) Tell him, "Sure, if I find something that fits your needs, I'll tell you how much and you can buy me a sixer or 12-pack of Red Seal Ale."
Obviously, the difference between A and C might be how close of friends you are. If you were dealing with a friend who lived across the country, wouldn't cash be easier?
On a side note:Warning: Rant Mode! (Click to show)