or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Page 986

post #14776 of 110179
Few other threads have over one million views. Why isn't this thread pinned?
post #14777 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolsty View Post
Few other threads have over one million views. Why isn't this thread pinned?

Agreed.
post #14778 of 110179
3 trafalgar braces and my best shoe find to date, a pair of AE in 8 1/2 D, dropped them off to my cobbler to get cleaned up. Shoes will be up for sale.

Is it difficult for a tailor to add buttons to trousers so I can use these braces.


post #14779 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelWithACause View Post
Is it difficult for a tailor to add buttons to trousers so I can use these braces.

More difficult than it would be to sell them...
post #14780 of 110179
Some good tie shopping yesterday and today.
Either the donor (I'm assuming all but the 2 Ferres and the Sulka came from the same guy) never wore these or was the most careful person on earth with his ties. They are all perfect and show no signs of ever having been knotted. The Sulka is one I posted about a week or so ago and am including just because I think the original store tag and price are interesting. I assume the 11-83 would indicate when it went into stock. The Kiton is absolutely amazing! Its my first Kiton in the wild and I now understand why their ties are considered head and shoulders above most other ties.




L to R: Italo Feretti, Sartoriale 7-Fold for Paul Frederick, 2 Gianfranco Ferre




L to R: Kiton, Hermes, Brioni, Stefano Ricci (the Ricci and Brioni are switched in the smaller picture)




L to R: 3 Lands End 50/50 wool/mohair knit ties (black, yellow, navy), Sulka
post #14781 of 110179
I passed on a Zegna Su Misura shirt today. Looked nice, but WAY too big for me, and at a size that might not find a buyer. The neck was between 18.5 and 19 and the sleeves I measured to about 43. Both measurements are pretty approximate because I had a little tape measure, I don't have much experience measuring shirt sleeves, and they have french cuffs so I had to estimate where the fold would fall. Measuring in the store is not the easiest thing. Anyway, a couple of thumbnails below to give you an idea. Spread collar.



Let me know if anyone wants it and we can talk about price.

By the way, can anyone tell me if this Armani is real? I'll wear it anyway, but I am curious.
post #14782 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolsty View Post
Few other threads have over one million views. Why isn't this thread pinned?

+137
post #14783 of 110179
Had some decent luck with shoes today

Black Allen-Edmonds Size 13D, sole seems new or like new



Allen-Edmonds 9.5 3w still with tag from Nordstrom Rack inside, could use some cleaning


Pair of Oakton Shoes, these seem to do ok on ebay but I've never heard of em before, any info?



Stuart Mcguire Shoes, sole is untouched so I presume NWOT, can't find a size but they're too small for a 10.5/11

post #14784 of 110179
Attachment 64796 Found a few ties today, three Zegnas, a Bottega Veneta and a Trussardi. Three dollars each. I havent heard about Trussardi before, but it felt nice so I bought it. Does anyone know them?
post #14785 of 110179
could someone please explain the appeal of buying someone else's smelly, worn shoes? the thought of contracting some mutant form of foot fungus from the previous owner disgusts me - it would be like buying used underwear
post #14786 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
could someone please explain the appeal of buying someone else's smelly, worn shoes? the thought of contracting some mutant form of foot fungus from the previous owner disgusts me - it would be like buying used underwear
I'll take a swing at explaining it! Uhm.... other people are rational about it.
post #14787 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolsty View Post
Few other threads have over one million views. Why isn't this thread pinned?

because it never leaves the main page anyway.
post #14788 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
could someone please explain the appeal of buying someone else's smelly, worn shoes? the thought of contracting some mutant form of foot fungus from the previous owner disgusts me - it would be like buying used underwear
I do it because I hope the mutant fungus will give me super powers.
post #14789 of 110179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin View Post
Some good tie shopping yesterday and today.
Either the donor (I'm assuming all but the 2 Ferres and the Sulka came from the same guy) never wore these or was the most careful person on earth with his ties. They are all perfect and show no signs of ever having been knotted. The Sulka is one I posted about a week or so ago and am including just because I think the original store tag and price are interesting. I assume the 11-83 would indicate when it went into stock. The Kiton is absolutely amazing! Its my first Kiton in the wild and I now understand why their ties are considered head and shoulders above most other ties.




L to R: Italo Feretti, Sartoriale 7-Fold for Paul Frederick, 2 Gianfranco Ferre




L to R: Kiton, Hermes, Brioni, Stefano Ricci (the Ricci and Brioni are switched in the smaller picture)




L to R: 3 Lands End 50/50 wool/mohair knit ties (black, yellow, navy), Sulka

Really nice haul.

I just came back from thrifting empty-handed. Stopped by one store for the first time--they put two staples through all of their ties to affix the price tags. Couldn't believe it.
post #14790 of 110179
struck at 3 stops today. better luck next weekend I guess.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread