• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chainstitching thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that I am looking for chainstitching service in the Seattle area.

Apart from Blue in Green and Rby45RPM in NYC, Denim Doctors in LA (the one on Beverly, apparently) and Self Edge in SF, are there any other places in the US where this is done? Is there only a large enough market in these major cities?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In Seattle, I have heard that the guy that does the overflow tailoring from Mario's, Butch Blum, and other stores has the ability to do chain stitching, but I never looked into it. I have his name and business card lying around somewhere.

Scott Kuhlman and some of his employees might also be able to give you a lead on somewhere local to do it (I don't think he has the equipment for it himself).

adaspiel

Reaction score
I was recently trying to get some chainstitching done in NYC and called BiG and 45RPM.

Just wanted to mention that as of 2 weeks ago BiG was only doing chainstitching for jeans purchased from them and 45RPM does any jean but costs $30 now. Turnaround was about a week for both.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I asked Scott Kuhlman, he didn't have any idea where to start. His best guess would be to check with some manufacturers, but of course it's unlikely a manufacturer would do a small job.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would be surprised if anyone in seattle did this, it requires a machine that very few tailors would even want to carry. i would expect it only from those denim-specific/crazy boutiques (none really, in seattle), especially given that 99% of people have no clue what a chain stitch is.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Riveted (the now closed denim shop) was able to get their denim chain stitched?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^i was wondering that myself, but no, i don't believe that they did it either. their merchandise wasn't the kind needing chain stitching iirc, ranging from 575 to stronghold to nudies.

morse9443

Reaction score
Gordon at BIG did mine last week in about 5 minutes. They charge $15 for jeans not purchased from them. Self Edge charges more. Those machines seem kind of outdated and rare. Best bet is probably sending them in...

adaspiel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by morse9443
They charge $15 for jeans not purchased from them.

Are you sure about this? I called 2 weeks ago and asked specifically about this and I was told no. That they only did jeans purchased from them.

I was going to bring them one pair I bought from them and another pair that I bought somewhere else but after I spoke to them I had to start looking for other places...

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by morse9443
Gordon at BIG did mine last week in about 5 minutes. They charge $15 for jeans not purchased from them. Self Edge charges more. Those machines seem kind of outdated and rare. Best bet is probably sending them in...

Nope, we also charge $15.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there was a mention of another store (small tailor) in NYC that chainstitches. Madeline from Chuck's Vintage on melrose said she does chainstitching and Denim Doctors def does it, I had it done last week. There is supposed to be one more small tailor shop in the bay area that does it as well. Check back when sufu is back in business.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
How are Denim Doctors' prices on repairing blowouts?

not sure, pricing was very resonable though. 16$ for a simple chainstitch and $24 for a taper from the knee down. So I don't think they're too extreme as far as pricing goes.

worn down

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
there was a mention of another store (small tailor) in NYC that chainstitches. Madeline from Chuck's Vintage on melrose said she does chainstitching and Denim Doctors def does it, I had it done last week. There is supposed to be one more small tailor shop in the bay area that does it as well. Check back when sufu is back in business.

I got my IH's done at Jaime's last year when I lived in the Bay Area. Don't remember how much it cost.

4340 Redwood Hwy
San Rafael, CA 94903
(415) 492-1325

If you look him up on yelp, there's a review posted by a guy who I think might be Ayn from SuFu.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads