• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ufc 78

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
So, a week out from one of the most discussed cards (and not in a good way) for a while. There are some decent fights on there, but it just completely lacks a marquee fight to end the night with.

Isnt it time Serra defended that belt? Plus there are a bunch of big name heavyweights waiting in the wings that could have padded this out a bit. Give me Arlovski! Minotauro! drop a kilo or 10 and a title unification for Hendo! As it stands, this card screams anticlimax.

Aware that this was very much a plan D for DanaCo, after drug tests, Tito-ness and visa issues haunted the planning of 78, but still...Evans v. Bisping just doesnt cut it (esp since Bisping is owed a repeat clobbering by Hammill) for a $40 PPV. Wonder if the sales will reflect.

Anyhow...here is the card:

Main card

* Light heavyweight bout: Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping
* Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Ryo Chonan
* Light heavyweight bout: Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva
* Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Frank Edgar
* Middleweight bout: Ed Herman vs. Joe Doerksen

Preliminary card

* Welterweight bout: Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory
* Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs. Thiago Alves
* Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt
* Lightweight bout: Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo

Im looking forward to Karo's fight personally. Enjoy watching him, but it's a long way to the top in a stacked welterweight division. Fisher is always entertaining. Houston Alexander's trajectory is getting interesting too - some insane weight in those hands.

Thoughts?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else planning to catch UFC 78 this Saturday? No title fights, but the card looks pretty solid. I think Rashad Evans will pound Michael Bisping all the way to the middleweight division. I'm also looking forward to seeing the Karo Parisyan and Houston Alexander fights.

Kevin

Reaction score
Rashad Evans all the way. He's been kicking ass since he wrestled against my team in high school.

mizanation

Reaction score
it's a decent card.

i'm predicting karo over ryo chonan by ko. but ryo is one of those guys that can beat anyone in his weight class on any given day.

it's always a good card when spencer fisher fights.

lytle vs. the pitbull. i disagree with the ufc's analysis. i think this one is not going to last more than one round. someone is going to get knocked out and i think it's gonna be lytle.

gono is making his ufc debut. pretty good boxer, but i think he's not going to do well in the UFC.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
damn you Chris, I was on this days ago. Used my modding powers and merged them to save face for myself
smile.gif
My comments in the top post.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

Isnt it time Serra defended that belt?

The UFC chose to wait until the TUF season was over to have him fight. What's awful is Hughes getting a title shot again after ONE mediocre win over Chris Lytle.

Main card

* Light heavyweight bout: Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping
No interest in this fight.

* Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Ryo Chonan
Interesting matchup. I like both fighters, but I think Parisyan wins.

* Light heavyweight bout: Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva
Tough test for both guys- this will be a good one. Both are very aggressive. I think Silva wins.

* Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Frank Edgar
Fisher is an animal but he's such a disrespectful prick. Edgar had his knee bent backwards by Tyson Griffin and still didn't tap, and gave Griffin his first loss- quite a feat. If Edgar can take it to the ground he will take this one IMO.

* Middleweight bout: Ed Herman vs. Joe Doerksen
Doerksen is a warrior, but this is not an interesting fight on paper.

Preliminary card

* Welterweight bout: Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory
* Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs. Thiago Alves
* Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt
* Lightweight bout: Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo
Gono was a lot of fun in Pride, not so much in the UFC. Hoping Lauzon and Aurelio win.

I won't be buying this. I ******* hate that the UFC has all this talent and refuses to use it.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This card is ******* horrible. I haven't missed a UFC in a few years, but I think I'll be skipping this one. This card should have been a fight night line up on Spike, this is not worth $40.

Rashad Evans Vs Bisping for the main card? Wtf? Evans is imo not very talented. He has great cardio, but lacks any real skill to end a fight other than luck. He's also never fought anyone good or than Tito, which Tito dominated until the last 1 min or so. Bisping is ok, but WAYYYYYY over hyped. He got his ass handed to him by Hamil, and other than him has also fought no one big. I can almost guarantee this fight goes to decision.

I would like to see the Chonan vs Parisyan, but I'm not spending $40 to see one sort-of-good fight.

Also why the hell does Hughes get another title shot? As some one else posted, he fought one mediocre fighter. I think there should be a GSP/Hughes 2 and winner fights Serra. I think GSP would again run over Hughes and then run over Serra. I stand by my statement of "GSP is arguably the best pound for pound fighter in all of UFC, bar none."

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
damn you Chris, I was on this days ago. Used my modding powers and merged them to save face for myself
smile.gif

My comments in the top post.

Scooped again!
smile.gif
Sorry, didn't see your post, man.

Does anyone actually buy the UFC PPV? I go down to a local bar and pay a $5 cover. It's well worth $5 + food and drink.

I think the card could have been great if David Terrell hadn't pulled out with injury. I think it still has the potential to be pretty good -- certainly better than UFC 77, which was pretty lame.

I have no problem with Matt Hughes getting a title fight after one fight. He is very popular and has the most title defenses in UFC history. Dana doesn't want anything to spoil GSP-Hughes III -- look at how much luster the long-anticipated fight between Silva and Liddell has lost after Liddell lost to Jardine.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Does anyone actually buy the UFC PPV? I go down to a local bar and pay a $5 cover. It's well worth $5 + food and drink.
Generally speaking I buy them all. I own a 57" 1080p (though when we do watch them in HD it's 1080i) TV, and my dad comes over to watch them with me. While I do work with my dad, I still don't see him very often(it's a big company), so I like getting together for UFC once or twice a month. This one though I'll probably watch at a bar.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UFC 79 is looking pretty good. In addition to the title fight between Serra and Hughes, and the long-awaited showdown between Silva and Liddell, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (PRIDE's version of quick-knockout artist Houston Alexander) will fight Lyoto Machida.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Scooped again!
smile.gif
Sorry, didn't see your post, man.

I think the card could have been great if David Terrell hadn't pulled out with injury. I think it still has the potential to be pretty good -- certainly better than UFC 77, which was pretty lame.

I have no problem with Matt Hughes getting a title fight after one fight. He is very popular and has the most title defenses in UFC history. Dana doesn't want anything to spoil GSP-Hughes III -- look at how much luster the long-anticipated fight between Silva and Liddell has lost after Liddell lost to Jardine.

Which bar do you go to? I've been looking for a place in the area (other than Hooters) to catch UFC fights I dont want to buy.

mizanation

Reaction score
UFC 79 looks awesome. i can't believe silva and chuck are gonna throw down.

i really like sokoudjou, he was phenomenal in his last couple fights. great striking, world class grappling, incredible athlete--another example of the next generation of mma fighters.

i also like lyoto. he's not the most exciting fighter to watch but he is technically superb and a great sportsman.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Which bar do you go to? I've been looking for a place in the area (other than Hooters) to catch UFC fights I dont want to buy.
I've caught the last few UFCs at Bailey's in Arlington (Ballston). Before that, I went to Summers Bar and Restaurant in Arlington (Courthouse). I've also seen it at Hooters at Gallery Place and didn't like the atmosphere much. I'm trying Buffalo Billiards at Dupont Circle this Saturday.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
i really miss the golden age of Pride. those were some legendary cards.

Pride was ALL about their fanbase. When they hit their stride, that was the peak of MMA from a fan's perspective. We will NEVER have that again.

As for paying for the events... I always watch at home, for a multitude of reasons. Mainly because I want to be able to rewatch certain fights, and I prefer watching it alone or at most with a couple of friends with real interest in the sport.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads