• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Pots

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a glorious opera singer he is. I'm getting his CD when it comes out, no doubt. It is neat to see such a normal person be able to do something like that, not just Pavarotti or another major-league performer.

JB

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I thought you were talking about leader of the Khmer Rouge, Pol Pot.

Previously, Putz... Presently, Potential Panty Pundit. Please Peruse Paul Pots.

persid

Reaction score
He's had an amount of training in the last decade. Read his bio at wikipedia. In any case, he did not come out of nowhere and started singing like that.

I think his performance is moving. It's quite amazing for what it is, but I don't believe the guy will succeed in making a career in opera. Competition is extreme and from what my singer friends tell me, his technique is fairly deficient.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by persid
He's had an amount of training in the last decade. Read his bio at wikipedia. In any case, he did not come out of nowhere and started singing like that. I think his performance is moving. It's quite amazing for what it is, but I don't believe the guy will succeed in making a career in opera. Competition is extreme and from what my singer friends tell me, his technique is fairly deficient.
He probably won't have a serious career like the Pavarotti , maybe a Popera career amongst fans of the show. But still, after looking at how he presented himself at the beginning of the clip, it was a nice surprise. I don't see what his training has to do with anything, which I read briefly in some comments on other sites? I doubt it was anyone on the the shows' first time at their act.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Previously, Putz... Presently, Potential Panty Pundit. Please Peruse Paul Pots.

Check out the masterful use of alliteration.

Kevin

Reaction score
With or without training, I though his performance was brilliant and moving. His is an inspiring story and I'm glad he won. I also posted the clip in the favorite YouTube vids thread.

Bonus: He's reportedly using his winnings from the show to get his English teeth fixed.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by persid
He's had an amount of training in the last decade. Read his bio at wikipedia. In any case, he did not come out of nowhere and started singing like that.

I think his performance is moving. It's quite amazing for what it is, but I don't believe the guy will succeed in making a career in opera. Competition is extreme and from what my singer friends tell me, his technique is fairly deficient.

Who cares if his technique is deficient?

He has a beautiful, clear voice, and people will buy his recordings. He will most likely make more money than a singer with "perfect" technique.

I'm glad he's getting his chance to shine.

persid

Reaction score
Many people have beautiful, clear voices, and the technique to match. You'll never hear them because only one of hundreds will ever get a chance to sing in front of a large audience. Compared to people who spend their lives training, this guy is decent at best. He got a lucky break because a show director figured he can make money by presenting Paul as a shy middle aged phone salesman who stumbled into their studio. The plan worked and Paul is now famous. We'll see what he does with the fame. For the sake of all the great singers who never got their chance, I hope he makes the best of this opportunity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads