Has anybody here had experience with an Apollo dress shirt? Am I better off just buying Brooks Brothers shirts?
Copy-pasted from the Kickstarter page:
Key Features of Apollo Shirt
To start, we use a knit synthetic blend, instead of a woven cotton. That's the first step in achieving these results:
1) Heat management: Your temperature rises and falls many times throughout the day.Using the same technology that NASA uses in space suits, our proprietary blend of fibers, “Apollo” will literally control your body temperature. Imagine you're outside on a hot day. Apollo uses Phase-change Materials (PCMs) to pull heat away from your body and actually store it in the shirt - like a battery. This way, when you get back into your AC'ed office, the shirt will release the heat back to you and keep your skin at the temperature it should be at. The difference is noticeable, and can change your day. Ministry of Supply is literally bringing this technology down from space.
2) Moisture management: Your body naturally sweats throughout the day. Using an engineering-driven approach, our unique blend of fibers will wick moisture away from your body, keeping you dry -- in the hottest or tensest of situations.
3) Odor control: Your skin releases oils and other materials, which leads to bacteria. Bacteria is the leading cause of odor. By using an anti-microbial coating, as well as Silver threads, the Apollo shirt takes care of pesky odors.
4) Dynamic motion: All day long, you are moving. You walk briskly, sit down, stand up, climb stairs, shake hand -- and do thousands of movements you no longer notice. But we do. By using tests like Strain Analysis (see FAQ for more detail), and designing the shirt with your motion in mind, the Apollo shirt adapts to your movements -- it stays tucked in all day, and moves with your body rather than against it.
All this, and there’s still more...
Because we use our proprietary high grade synthetic blend, the Apollo shirt is truly wrinkle free.
The Apollo shirt is also much more sustainable than your typical dress shirt:
- Unlike traditional dress shirts, we don’t use toxic chemical coatings like Formaldehyde (has been classified as a cancer-causing substance and is toxic for the environment) to achieve wrinkle-free status.
- Since our shirts are machine wash only, no need for the awful chemicals dry cleaners love.
- If you choose -- the shirts don’t need to be washed as often, saving some water and a few chemicals too!
Finally, we’re hugely supportive of manufacturing in the United States. Everything from the fabric to the packaging is made in the USA. Like recently successful Kickstarter project Flint and Tinder, we’re focused on bringing jobs to America.
Is it just a marketing gimmick to justify selling synthetic materials at high prices? I did a brief Google search but I could not find any reviews. Anybody willing to try it out and let us know how it is?