• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graduating shoes

SeanP

Reaction score
I have been an avid shoe "fanboy" of Cole Haan and Hugo Boss for my work shoes for several years now. Reading SF I have a new respect for the dress shoe and have my eye on a few pairs of AE. The ability to have these shoes restored really caught my eye

Would I be out of place picking up a few new pairs of AE, is this type of brand truly better than the Cole Haans and Hugo Boss?

Thank you

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds is well above Cole Haan and Hugo Boss in quality.

If you're in the market for some, their outlet stores have sales on seconds right now, and Nordstrom has several models on sale currently (the Clifton is a pretty popular shoe among the sale options), and is expected to have other models on sale during their July sale. Now wouldn't be a bad time to pick some up.

SeanP

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! I do not have an outlet near me here in Phoenix, but have a company store nearby. My shopper at Nordstroms told me about the sale on shoes and might need to return my cole haans.

Are AE seconds specific to outlets (or used shoes)? Sorry for the question as I have seen that term referenced before

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My understanding is that AE seconds are only sold at their outlets, not their retail locations. However, they will mail them to you--just e-mail or call the outlet, and ask for a list of shoes in your size. The risk with the seconds is that they might have a flaw that you don't want to live with. They do allow returns even on seconds, but you're out the expense and hassle of shipping if you need to send something back.

If you don't have any Allen Edmonds yet, it's probably safest if you buy from a retail location, like a Nordstrom or an AE retail location.

Btw, Seconds aren't used shoes, they are shoes with factory defects. If you're out in Phoenix and are willing to buy returns or somewhat used shoes I would imagine the Nordstrom Last Call would have some for quite cheap.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
comparing AEs to hugo boss or Cole Haan is ludacris.
wink.gif
Ive had all of them....id get a pair of AEs over 100 pair of cole haans or boss. Id definitely try some on first to find a last that fits y ou best...but its really hard to go wrong with them....ive been pleased with all of them.

Unregistered

Reaction score
The Man;4616583 said:
Originally Posted by SeanP
AE are good shoes but for god's sake don't buy those fugly looking cubicle workers wingtips or captoes unless you're some poor accountant.
Buy something like the Westchester model if this is the first AE shoe you're buying.

laugh.gif
Seriously? A penny loafer over a proper wing tip or cap toe?

One will need brown and black wingtips / cap toes as part of ones business wardrobe far before a penny loafer. Stick with the proven and well loved Park Avenues, Fifth Avenues, Strand etc. first, OP.

gamma1234

Reaction score
Unregistered;4616722 said:
Originally Posted by The Man

laugh.gif
Seriously? A penny loafer over a proper wing tip or cap toe?

One will need brown and black wingtips / cap toes as part of ones business wardrobe far before a penny loafer. Stick with the proven and well loved Park Avenues, Fifth Avenues, Strand etc. first, OP.

I think this is the better advice.

gamma1234

Reaction score
The Man;4617014 said:
Originally Posted by Unregistered

He sure enough of himself to wear what he wants which is more than I can say for anyone on here. And style is based on what a consensus of men of means and taste say it is not some dweeb buying used shoes on ebay who erroneously thinks that wingtips are "high class" lol
I consider them low level stumblebum shoes.
And I'd hardly call this joke of a forum a style forum because it's just the same **** all the time.
Wingtips
tapered busboy shirts
and PeeWee Herman style suits

nest.gif

lurker[1].gif

Unregistered

Reaction score
The Man;4617014 said:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
He sure enough of himself to wear what he wants which is more than I can say for anyone on here. And style is based on what a consensus of men of means and taste say it is not some dweeb buying used shoes on ebay who erroneously thinks that wingtips are "high class" lol I consider them low level stumblebum shoes. And I'd hardly call this joke of a forum a style forum because it's just the same **** all the time. Wingtips tapered busboy shirts and PeeWee Herman style suits
Of course, HRH The Prince of Wales is a low level stumblebum shoe wearer eh?
52101998shoespl6.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics