• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Sea Island Cotton all that?

Dicky Dicardo

Reaction score
As a follow-up to the recent cordovan thread, how much of Sea Island Cotton is legend versus reality? Has it become just a marketing term? Is it worth the extra cost?

If there's an advantage, is it comfort, durability, or appearance? Is it better suited for one class of garments such as shirts, sweathers, or socks; or are its advantages, if any, across the board? Does the quality of SIC vary from vendor to vendor, or is pretty consistent?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have found it to be softer and have a nice sheen. With that comes the durability issue. One of my shirts lasted only about 8 washings before I was left with shreads with a collar and cuffs attached.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ am wearing one today and agree with Will... smooth as silk and no durability issues (must have washed it close to 50 times by now). It is, however, a touch wrinkle prone.

LanceW

Reaction score
I've never had certified sea island cotton but Giza 45 shirting feels like it's made from pure sex
bounce2.gif

Beetleything

Reaction score
John Smedley Sea Island Cotton is of very high quality.

I bought 2 long sleeved tops in Harrods on sale years ago and they lasted for years - washed them in the machine on delicates.
So it depends on the quality - not all the same me thinks.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its good but theres cotton just as fine these days. Its more pricey because it has the sea island tag which only cotton from the south sea islands can claim. Usually the crop is bought up by Japanese firms every year and sold onto others at crazy prices these days. I don't think even Turnbull carries sea island cotton now. Its very nice but these days your paying extra for the name.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Its good but theres cotton just as fine these days. Its more pricey because it has the sea island tag which only cotton from the south sea islands can claim. Usually the crop is bought up by Japanese firms every year and sold onto others at crazy prices these days. I don't think even Turnbull carries sea island cotton now. Its very nice but these days your paying extra for the name.

I just bought a T&A Sea Island Cotton shirt form their store in NYC about two weeks ago.

It was a pretty heafty premium over their standard cotton, but it felt soooo much nicer.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a few Turnbull & Asser Sea Island shirts that i absolutely love.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I have a few Turnbull & Asser Sea Island shirts that i absolutely love.

I'm actually thinking of buying one of their Sea Islands for my wedding--have you had any durability issues?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hpreston
I just bought a T&A Sea Island Cotton shirt form their store in NYC about two weeks ago. It was a pretty heafty premium over their standard cotton, but it felt soooo much nicer.
They must have brought it back because they stopped a few years ago. good to know. They called the substitute "sea island quality" to get round the trademark. You can get cottons with a higher thread count these days though. If you like fine cottons ask them about Acorn Imperial or Grasmere which they stock. You could also just have your shirts made in silk, theres some nice shirtings out there that are not very shiny and blouse looking.

Dicky Dicardo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Here's an interesting article about Sea Island Cotton. Apparently true Sea Island cotton hasn't existed for over 80 years.

http://supimacotton.blogspot.com/200...hy-it-was.html

That article, at first, sounds a little biased given that it's from a supima cotton group. But further on, it begins to sound more factual and legitimate. It states that the islands are along the South Carolina and Georgia coasts, but a previous post suggested they are in the South Sea. So, it's not even certain if the stuff still exists and where it came from when it did.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adb
That article, at first, sounds a little biased given that it's from a supima cotton group. But further on, it begins to sound more factual and legitimate. It states that the islands are along the South Carolina and Georgia coasts, but a previous post suggested they are in the South Sea. So, it's not even certain if the stuff still exists and where it came from when it did.

Sea Island comes from the coastal islands off the eastern U.S.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel
I'm actually thinking of buying one of their Sea Islands for my wedding--have you had any durability issues?

none at all. I wear it quite a bit too. Id have no problem buying one again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads