• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Care

nizzer

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time question - how do you guys take care of your ties?

How often to you have them laundered?

I find my ties indelibly wrinkled after a couple wears - is that ok?

I have a hanging system set up in my closet that's uncluttered and all but I'm just wondering about the wrinkles and folds that occur from regular basic wear and how and when you all deal with that.

Cheers.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would not launder my ties unless they were spotted or stained or somehow visibly dirty.

I do not find my ties to retain wrinkles. Are you purchasing particularly cheap ties?

Mudhiker

Reaction score
I am also interested in this topic. Currently my neckties hang from a rack, but I am wondering if rolling them would be better.

I assume that to remove stubborn wrinkles I can gently steam them with an iron by using a towel or something between the iron and the tie?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The few ties I own I either roll, except the tips or hang on a regular coat hanger, just with one loop around.

I don't think ties need much care so long as they aren't dipped in mustard or whatever ever time you wear them.

Even if you happen to see wrinkles overtime, use a handkerchief and an iron on low. Place handkerchief over tie and gently iron.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think there's way too much hand wringing on this board by people who take their interest in clothes way beyond the pale. Check out all that blather about how to shine shoes. Until the last few years I could only afford cheaper shoes. I've more recently stepped things up but in any case have never worried about wrinkles, cracking, lexol or whatever.

Ties - some say hang 'em, some say roll 'em. I say neither will do much harm. Take to the cleaners only if stained. Most wrinkles will fall out with hanging unless you are wearing the same tie day after day. I would think light steaming would be a better option than ironing if you must, as a well made tie will have some heft to it that will not be preserved if pressed flat.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. I wish I had the answer.

AFAIK, rolling vs. hanging - no difference. The crease from the hanging is not noticeable, its under your collar anyway. Rolling does impart a roll to the tie, but it comes out real easy. And thats all I know for sure.

As for care, I imagine hand washing would work. Spot cleaning would be preferable to me. Honestly, I'd just donate the tie when it was "done" and not pay very much for it in the first place. They are kind of disposable to me. Besides, think of all that bacteria and crap that gets all over them. They're never washed, its pretty gross.

But, if I did want to clean them, I'd send them over to Rave Fabricare. Take that advice with a huge caveat. They are in my home town and 10 minutes away. But, they do clean internationally, I have no clue how they do it, but they advertise it.

Alternatively, you can ask Sam Hober for a more authoritative suggestion.

kafziel

Reaction score
I loosen the tie a bit, slip it over my head, tighten it back up so the loop is the same size it will be when I put it back on, and hang it back in my closet.
devil.gif

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I think there's way too much hand wringing on this board by people who take their interest in clothes way beyond the pale. Check out all that blather about how to shine shoes. Until the last few years I could only afford cheaper shoes. I've more recently stepped things up but in any case have never worried about wrinkles, cracking, lexol or whatever.

Ties - some say hang 'em, some say roll 'em. I say neither will do much harm. Take to the cleaners only if stained. Most wrinkles will fall out with hanging unless you are wearing the same tie day after day. I would think light steaming would be a better option than ironing if you must, as a well made tie will have some heft to it that will not be preserved if pressed flat.

You need to realize where you are. You never cared about taking care of your shoes because, as you said, you bought cheap crap. Drop some money on nice shoes that you love, and see if you are so casual about what you put on them.

To the OP's question, I have not noticed any tie wrinkling that a week hanging didn't cure, and I travel with 3-4 ties in a suitcase every week. I suppose tht if they are soiled you would need to have them cleaned, but just try to keep your tie out of your soup. And watch out for vietnamese (Pho and Bun) and pasta - they splatter a lot.
redface.gif

amadar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kafziel
I loosen the tie a bit, slip it over my head, tighten it back up so the loop is the same size it will be when I put it back on, and hang it back in my closet.
devil.gif

ffffuuuu.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hussybeen
It would make more sense to have survival of the fittest among ourselves, instead of letting the government determine who the fittest are. Especially since the government will be less efficient, and the recourses will be that much more scarce.

Are you suggesting a Neckwear Royal Rumble?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbbuff
You need to realize where you are. You never cared about taking care of your shoes because, as you said, you bought cheap crap. Drop some money on nice shoes that you love, and see if you are so casual about what you put on them.

To the OP's question, I have not noticed any tie wrinkling that a week hanging didn't cure, and I travel with 3-4 ties in a suitcase every week. I suppose tht if they are soiled you would need to have them cleaned, but just try to keep your tie out of your soup. And watch out for vietnamese (Pho and Bun) and pasta - they splatter a lot.
redface.gif

Nope, wrong.

I did care for my shoes - polish on, wait a while, brush off, buff with a cloth. That was all they needed. They weren't so much 'cheap crap' as the best I could afford at the time. I've been wearing more expensive welted leather soled shoes (plus a couple of shells) for a good few years now and use exactly the same technique. Never worried about all the things some members seem to panic about, never adopted some of the OCD techniques described at lengthen here. Never seen evidence of any detriment as a result of this.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nizzer
Long time lurker, first time question - how do you guys take care of your ties? How often to you have them laundered? I find my ties indelibly wrinkled after a couple wears - is that ok? I have a hanging system set up in my closet that's uncluttered and all but I'm just wondering about the wrinkles and folds that occur from regular basic wear and how and when you all deal with that. Cheers.
Nizzer, Good questions: Luxury Ties should be hung not rolled to prevent damage to tips. From time to time change the tie's position on the hanger. Ties with wool interlinings will resist wrinkles and recover quickly. Do not launder ties. In emergencies spot cleaning can be helpful or it can make things worse so proceed with caution. Only use good dry cleaners with lots of experience with ties otherwise they will tend to come back flat which is not good.. Rarely will a dry cleaner get the sewing of a tie perfect no matter what they claim this goes for all dry cleaners

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I remember the Style Guy in GQ mentioning a tie restoration service in NYV that he highly recommended but you need to send a few at a time not just singles.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I think there's way too much hand wringing on this board by people who take their interest in clothes way beyond the pale.

Yeah, go figure. Maybe you should start a discussion board called "Sorta Give a F*ck Forum."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads