1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tie Care

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nizzer, Mar 5, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Exactly. Its better for your tie. Less stress on the fibers. You can see the stress on the tie yourself, try it on something cheap.

If you do this long enough, you'll eventually snap the thread of the spine. Almost every broken spine is because of this.

2. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Well-Known Member

....... I do have a number of ties that are unlined and hand ticked at the tip, one in fact is yours...... ......... one of our fukking cats decided to have fun with one of my Canali's and left it looking like a poor man's grenadine. Since then I keep them in a barrister bookcase in my office. Ya, I have a good 200 or so ties. I cant help it.
    Good to hear that you have one of our ties - so now I have vested interest in keeping your collection in perfect shape. Lets see - we've talked at great length about rolling and others have talked about unfolding at the end of the day as well as the tragedy of stains. What's left? What about proper care for wool ties? We have been lucky - knock on silk - but maybe they don't have wool eating moths in Thailand? They do have man eating tigers here but the tigers eat people with or without ties so it may be straying a bit far off our subject.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Good to hear that you have one of our ties - so now I have vested interest in keeping your collection in perfect shape.

Lets see - we've talked at great length about rolling and others have talked about unfolding at the end of the day as well as the tragedy of stains.

What's left?

What about proper care for wool ties?

We have been lucky - knock on silk - but maybe they don't have wool eating moths in Thailand? They do have man eating tigers here but the tigers eat people with or without ties so it may be straying a bit far off our subject.

This is what I do... happy to hear your thoughts.

I dont segregate the wool/cashmere/mixes. I've got about 16 - 20 total. I intermix them with the silks, somehow I've convinced myself it reduces the risk of moths.

I've read an occasional dry cleaning is the only real way to prevent damage, but I've got my ties in a sealed set of barrister bookcases so once a year I open a can of moth balls in there and leave it for a week or 2. Never seen a moth hole.

4. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Well-Known Member

This is what I do... happy to hear your thoughts. I dont segregate the wool/cashmere/mixes. I've got about 16 - 20 total. I intermix them with the silks, somehow I've convinced myself it reduces the risk of moths. I've read an occasional dry cleaning is the only real way to prevent damage, but I've got my ties in a sealed set of barrister bookcases so once a year I open a can of moth balls in there and leave it for a week or 2. Never seen a moth hole.
    Sounds good. Probably the key is keeping the ties and storage area clean. We do have 50 meter rolls of wool that we use to cut our necktie interlinings from and we have never had a problem. After we open the rolls to cut interlinings we always seal the rolls of wool with plastic. When I stop to think about almost all luxury ties are partially wool - which is what the interlining is made from.

5. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Well-Known Member

I am going to Necro Postthis thread just to try andkeepsome things neat and tidy as opposed to starting a new thread. If i don't get an answer,I will go that route.

I had two ties in a suitcase that D...a Airlines decided to drop in a puddle long enough to get the insides good and truly wet, ties include. I have laid the ties out flat for a while to let them air dry, but I have noticed they are wrinkling quite a bit where they were wet. These are E.G. Capeli Grenadine ties. Should i just hang them back up and pretend that nothing happened? or is there some other step i should take to make sure the ties survive this ordeal?