• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubicon (New AMC series)

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just watched the pilot and was suitably impressed. I really enjoyed it. Not surprising given AMC's track record with Mad Men and Breaking Bad I suppose.

Anyone else?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm digging this. Seems in the vein of La Carre more then Ludlum. Might be just what I need to wipe that nasty Lost finale taste out of my mouth.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meh. Thought this would have something to do with Rome.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the first two episodes. In every way, it's great: lighting, camera work, writing, acting, pacing, etc. My main concern is longevity: is this going to turn out like The X-Files, where impossible conspiracy theories keep mounting up and nothing ever gets solved?

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw both epsiodes of Rubicon last night and I like the paraniod vibe from Three Days of the Condor and the LeCarre style. I hope the show has legs.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
watched the first 2 eps. The show's been boring so far since they have yet to flesh out the consipracy. Cinematography is beautiful though.

I wouldn't expect the conspiracy to come to light any time soon. That's the fun: riding along with the protagonist and wondering what the hell is going on.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I wouldn't expect the conspiracy to come to light any time soon. That's the fun: riding along with the protagonist and wondering what the hell is going on.
Neither do I but they've haven't really given us anything other than the crosswords. I'm sure it'll come to a head in a few eps but I think it would have been better to space the details out a bit more in the earlier eps to catch the viewers interest.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
watched the first 2 eps. The show's been boring so far since they have yet to flesh out the consipracy. Cinematography is beautiful though.

This. Also...some of the writing is just stupid. Who's gonna go to the trouble of typing something out in code just to say, "They hide in plain sight"? And the dude following him was practically wearing a sign.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
This. Also...some of the writing is just stupid. Who's gonna go to the trouble of typing something out in code just to say, "They hide in plain sight"? And the dude following him was practically wearing a sign.

I'll agree with you on the dude following the protagonist. However, considering what they do, the fact that something big is happening right now, and the amount of scrutiny and oversight from above, David had to take every precaution. David may or may not have known exactly what was going down. Even if he did and he tipped off the protagonist right away, there's a damned good chance the protagonist would have been killed immediately. Better to let him work his way into the system and figure out what to do.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Yeah, but it seems like he could have at least said something slightly more explicit. "They hide in plain sight" is pretty goddamn ambiguous. I really want this show to be good. I love the movies that inspired it.
Said anything frankly. What movies inspired the show?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads