• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surprise me with secrets about your jobs or past companies

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know most guys here were born into trust funds, given bentleys on their 12th birthday and had sex with hot women at age 3.... but for you normal guys that had jobs, what are some dirty little secrets of the company / profession / position you want to share?

1. I worked at a full service carwash vacuuming out cars in high school. I would purposely suck up coins if they were in tough to reach spots (never trays or cup holders) and at the end of the day when I emptied the dirty ass vacuum i skimmed for every non-copper coin I could.

2. Also, I once saw a lady with a pint of vodka below her seat. I politely threw it out. That night my friends and I came back and dumpster dove for that pint.
facepalm.gif

3. lifeguard for numerous years. The rules were really strict when I started. Turd in the pool = 24 hour shut down. We were like the crew in that movie "Waiting" - always hanging out and hooking up. So if there was a huge party the night before, one of us would sneak into the pool and poop in it before our shift. 97 degree days in the naptown hood be damned.

Thats all I got for now. If you can tell specifics about well known companies, all the better!

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summer jobs during high school/college were at a canoe, kayak, rafting rental place. We only allowed a maximum of 3 drinks per person of legal age on the trips (it really is for people's safety, drowning happens more often than you'd think and alcohol doesn't help things). We confiscated any extra and told them to come back for them at the end of the trip. 75% of the time the people would never come back to pick up their booze; we never had to buy beer or alcohol during those summers.

Even more boring...I also worked at a Wendy's during the school year in high school (mom thought it would be good to get an appreciation for work and money, as the work could be kinda tough and the pay was ****). Surprisingly, we ran a very tight ship there. It was always spotless, messes were cleaned up right away, food never hit the floor and made its way to a customer, no spitting in drinks or any of that crap you see in the movies or read about in papers. It was actually a pretty good work experience. The managers told me that if I wasn't 17, I could run the place haha.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95897_first-look-hbos-hung-425x318.jpg

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Even more boring...I also worked at a Wendy's during the school year in high school (mom thought it would be good to get an appreciation for work and money, as the work could be kinda tough and the pay was ****). Surprisingly, we ran a very tight ship there. It was always spotless, messes were cleaned up right away, food never hit the floor and made its way to a customer, no spitting in drinks or any of that crap you see in the movies or read about in papers. It was actually a pretty good work experience. The managers told me that if I wasn't 17, I could run the place haha.

Me too, exactly. I was offered assistant manager but decided to go to college (duh).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^^ Well played.

Sorry, was on phone and did not get the gist of the OP. Edited post:

When I was a kid, the US dollar was worth about $1.40 CAD. 95% of the businesses would give change in CAD. When I was bartending, you wait until it gets a little later and people have been drinking. Stop giving the exchange rate and pocket a few hundred dollars a night.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Large retailers throw away a large amount of merchandise.

Employees are more likely to steal from you than 'customers' (on a percentage basis).

There are elaborate rings of low-level organized crime that involve stealing from major retailers, laundering the products through shell companies with fake papers, and then reselling the merchandise to mom-n-pop stores and convenience stores. Not only do you not know that you're buying something stolen from BigBoxMart, the store selling it to you didn't know it was hot either.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Me too, exactly. I was offered assistant manager but decided to go to college (duh).

Yeah, whenever I'd go there visiting home from college they'd ask if I could come back haha.

Most of the old timers I worked with are gone now...is sad.

I still love Wendy's food though; had a large chili and 5-piece for lunch yesterday.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i used to work front desk at hotels in san francisco. i'd wait for a walk in (random guy who wants to check in without a reservation) and offer a suite for a regular room price if he paid me $50 under the table. If you do it with a smile you end up getting it every time. The sales manager is usually too busy with group sales to notice, as long as the room is being paid for and occupied they are content.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
i used to work front desk at hotels in san francisco. i'd wait for a walk in (random guy who wants to check in without a reservation) and offer a suite for a regular room price if he paid me $50 under the table. If you do it with a smile you end up getting it every time. The sales manager is usually too busy with group sales to notice, as long as the room is being paid for and occupied they are content.

Dastardly! I like it.

Also lol at gdl's poast.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

If I was the guy without a reservation I would think it was my lucky day!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked for United Airlines in the Liquor Control Dept. I loaded and unloaded all the booze onto the larger planes coming and going from SFO one summer while in college. There were really tight on inventory controls tracking every damn little mini of booze between the plane and the kitchens where we restocked. If inventory was off even one or two minis, they looked at us as if we took something. In reality, there were a few alcoholics on the transport teams that would try and grab a few whenever we turned our backs.

On the other hand, every now and then, we would drop and break bottles, but as long as they were accounted for it was cool. But no drink'n or steal'n.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can tell you some things, but I would hurt the restaurant industry.

I will mention one thing though. I worked in retirement homes, and when residents died the administrator would raid the room, and take most of the valuables. They got away with this ****, because for the most part the resident's family rarely visited them, and they didn't know the amount of jewelry they had in the room. And retirement homes are like High Schools for seniors, they have clicks and for the most part they all hate each other.

If you have family members in retirement homes please visit them.

S. Paul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I can tell you some things, but I would hurt the restaurant industry.

I will mention one thing though. I worked in retirement homes, and when residents died the administrator would raid the room, and take most of the valuables. They got away with this ****, because for the most part the resident's family rarely visited them, and they didn't know the amount of jewelry they had in the room. And retirement homes are like High Schools for seniors, they have clicks and for the most part they all hate each other.

If you have family members in retirement homes please visit them.

Damn...that's pretty sickening. I guess I'm naive, I would have never thought of that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads