• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Modern Tailor Shirt - Updated

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my first modern tailor shirt and I am not at all pleased. Firstly, there was a delay which they claimed was due to the sale and QC. This didn't make any sense if the status said "production completed" for more than a week on my account. The customer service rep managed to smooth things out. On plus side, they took note of my additional requests, as I wanted gussets which was not an option in the order form.

When I received the shirt (made with a finer fabric labelled 200/2), I was absolutely horrified to find minor snags and runs on some areas of the shirt's body, near the waist . Again, I was prepared to let it go. More importantly, it appears that the shirt was re-altered again, God knows how many times and even if they were originally intended for me. Here's a picture.

30062010202.jpg

The seams were taken apart and remnants of that is evident in the form of holes and didn't disappear with washing. Here is a picture after one wash. I didn't have a good Macro shot but the top area is the shoulder seam and the bottom portion of the picture is the cuffs. Both have tiny holes running around the seams that didn't close up with washing. It appears that post production, they found they had to lengthen the sleeves to my order specifications but the seams were not properly removed.

I am disappointed and will not order again. If the shirt was cut faulty, it should be remade using new fabrics instead of letting the holes remain visible. This is really botched up work.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am considering that but wanted to post this here to see if my concerns were unreasonable.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's...weird. The holes look too widely spaced to be ripped stitching. And it's not like they can just let out a shirt if they cut it too small--altering shirts only goes in one direction.

Maybe somebody who knows more about shirtmaking can explain them.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Thank you. I am considering that but wanted to post this here to see if my concerns were unreasonable.

Nope; not unreasonable at all. You should really go ahead and contact them; their costumer service is pretty good and responsive (I am not one of their regular customers).

Frodo

Reaction score
These pictures should get you a brand new shirt, if that's what you want. Certainly a serious apology.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if any fabric expert might be able to shed light as to whether finer fabrics (200/2) like these are more prone to such damage.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think regular wear anywhere close to putting needles through it. What you received is simply unacceptable. I can't believe somebody would ship a shirt like that to you. Even somebody who isn't considered picky would have an issue with that.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would contact them and get your money back. That should never have gotten to a customer. I am sure they will take care of you, but that should just not happen.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I wonder if any fabric expert might be able to shed light as to whether finer fabrics (200/2) like these are more prone to such damage.

the fabric is more delicate.
but that is wrong.

that should have never gone out the door

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the second shirt in the same order. Same Problems. There were also some holes in the body, which I was unable to capture with my phone's camera.
x302.jpg
When I contacted them, they offered to remake them and offered to pay only up to $10 shipping to send the shirts back. This is not right if you paid $20 for shipping. Also, as there are holes in the shirt sleeves and body, the shirt is almost as good as ruined, my local tailor said that there is no way the integrity of the fabric can magically mend itself after damage. I don't see the point why returning the shirts would help,. They will most likely try to cut as minimal a cloth as possible while retaining parts of it to create a "frankenstein" shirt and return them back with no guarantees that it will be fault free. If they were sincere, they would offer to redo the entire shirts without me having to send them back or give me a full refund.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads