or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Well, at least I didn't get raped
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Well, at least I didn't get raped - Page 2

post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
PM me before you enlist.
post #17 of 50
Arethusa.....Ive got just the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBTraveler
This poll is a joke, but in every joke there is a part of a joke, u know

By the way, there is so little place in that poll so let me finish .. )))

Imagine: i want to sell you anykind of stuff.. Let it be ticket service, or water-polo balls.. it doesn`t matter.
And in one certain moment (just like this one) i can offer you never to buy from me! Never!
Am i stupid enough? Maybe, but... you always can buy tickets in the airport and balls in a sportstore.. So it`s stupid to offer you anything like that.. And we in (c) BennyB thinked out something, you will find nowhere but here.

You know, I hate when someone is trying to help me (damn-damn!), but i always rate highly any true support that people sometimes can provide each other.
So, my point is simple - there is someone nearby capable to provide with all required support, but rarely it is possible to find one in time Remeber us, remember BennyB The Traveller when times of trouble comes to you during your way. We are all - one world-wide family - and, who knows, maybe one day we will meet somewhere during your next round-a-world trip.

Best wishes,
BennyB the Traveler shortcuts.

Foreign travelers exchange system. Check list for your name.

The smiliest spammer on earth will smile all your traveltroubles away
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
Arethusa.....Ive got just the answer:



The smiliest spammer on earth will smile all your traveltroubles away

As an aside, in order to truly qualify as spam, is it necessary to write in a completely incomprehensible manner, both as to grammar and overall substance?
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ
As an aside, in order to truly qualify as spam, is it necessary to write in a completely incomprehensible manner, both as to grammar and overall substance?

I believe so. Sort of like l33t sp3@k
post #20 of 50
You could always embrace full-bore romanticism and join the Legion.










And then of course be rewarded with a full-bore shot of reality right up the ass. At least if you get shot you can become a Frenchman and live off of the welfare state.
post #21 of 50
As you may or may not have seen in your thread at the beginning of this journey, I made a similar trip () last century in a very last century car that aquitted itself relatively well for its age.

Rape being an apt metaphor in my case, after finding myself more or less rootless in California, found myself spiked with PCP in a joint by someone who would have literally raped me if he could have, followed by three days and nights driving without being able to eat or sleep and my car as my only home and shelter. This culminated in my being sprayed in the eyes with mace and hog-tied by police, and spending a week in the psych ward of a nearby hospital (free, thanks to some quirk in the California law regarding such cases).

The rest of my trip stayed at pretty much the same low. I saw a bumper sticker that summed up my whole experience: "Welcome to California. Now go home."

So I did, not that the return trip was any treat.

Trips can suck or they can suck with a merciless vengeance. I hope you've already hit your lowest low, and that when you're talking about the "drugs kicking in," you're talking about the pot of coffee you quaffed.
post #22 of 50
Le sigh, such is life.
post #23 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
As you may or may not have seen in your thread at the beginning of this journey, I made a similar trip () last century in a very last century car that aquitted itself relatively well for its age. Rape being an apt metaphor in my case, after finding myself more or less rootless in California, found myself spiked with PCP in a joint by someone who would have literally raped me if he could have, followed by three days and nights driving without being able to eat or sleep and my car as my only home and shelter. This culminated in my being sprayed in the eyes with mace and hog-tied by police, and spending a week in the psych ward of a nearby hospital (free, thanks to some quirk in the California law regarding such cases). The rest of my trip stayed at pretty much the same low. I saw a bumper sticker that summed up my whole experience: "Welcome to California. Now go home." So I did, not that the return trip was any treat. Trips can suck or they can suck with a merciless vengeance. I hope you've already hit your lowest low, and that when you're talking about the "drugs kicking in," you're talking about the pot of coffee you quaffed.
Gah. Haven't yet been arrested and maced, but I don't know if things have gotten better. I left the morning after I posted this thread, got a flat, slept in an LAX parking lot, and spent three hours getting a new car in the morning (this rental is now at the $500 mark). I made it up to a friend at Stanford without any further problems, but now I really don't know what to do. I can stay here for a couple months, but that basically means deciding to stay in California, which, well, has not gone well so far. Or I can go back and either try crappy Connecticut schools again or join up. And I have to more or less decide by tomorrow when I have to turn the car in. And, no, the drugs thing was a reference to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I don't actually do drugs, and I mainly sat in a parking lot in Barstow for an hour on the phone.
post #24 of 50
Arethusa,

You did not go all this way for no reason. Think it through. Will going anywhere else make a difference? Anywhere you go, the same equation faces you. You could have stopped in Ohio, in Indiana, in many of the places along the route you took and found a very similar set of circumstances awaiting you.

What does this mean? Is it particular to you? No. We all face this sort of moment, sometimes multiple times, before we decide to deal with it. Perhaps there is still some mystery involved in the way things "work out" for each individual. The language you put to the experience of crossing a continent speaks to a pace you may not even be aware that you are going. Do you know how far you have to slow down? Have you considered that you are making choices? Is there someone who loves you waiting somewhere? Doesn't the mother form the child in her womb? Isn't the world contained in the blade of grass? And there you go, no one understands, we are not looking for a solution to life, neither are you. But that is the way you put it. You are using this sort of langauge. You are saying, Life is a problem that has a solution. But that isn't right, is it? Or you would have found it, after so long a travel.

John
post #25 of 50
Quote:
join up.

Somehow dude I don't think the US Armed Forces would agree with your politics, and that would be a hell of a place to start evangelizing...
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnapril
Arethusa,

You did not go all this way for no reason. Think it through. Will going anywhere else make a difference? Anywhere you go, the same equation faces you. You could have stopped in Ohio, in Indiana, in many of the places along the route you took and found a very similar set of circumstances awaiting you.

What does this mean? Is it particular to you? No. We all face this sort of moment, sometimes multiple times, before we decide to deal with it. Perhaps there is still some mystery involved in the way things "work out" for each individual. The language you put to the experience of crossing a continent speaks to a pace you may not even be aware that you are going. Do you know how far you have to slow down? Have you considered that you are making choices? Is there someone who loves you waiting somewhere? Doesn't the mother form the child in her womb? Isn't the world contained in the blade of grass? And there you go, no one understands, we are not looking for a solution to life, neither are you. But that is the way you put it. You are using this sort of langauge. You are saying, Life is a problem that has a solution. But that isn't right, is it? Or you would have found it, after so long a travel.

John

I always look forward to your posts. Right-on.
post #27 of 50
seriously. bad things always seems to happen all at the same time. stay up! and don't join up.
california is $_$ i moved away and then came back cause i missed it too damn much. so good luck!
post #28 of 50
Quote:
california is $_$

I agree, and miss it very much. It has a high buy-in, but IMO there's a reason for it.

You just won't find more things to do or more diverse people or opinions anywhere else. And by diverse, I mean diverse. There are quite a few inhabitants of the central Valley and Orange County, even San Diego County who vote very conservatively.

Great weather, lots of cultural activities, wines, museums...

5th largest economy in THE WORLD.
post #29 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Somehow dude I don't think the US Armed Forces would agree with your politics, and that would be a hell of a place to start evangelizing...
Eh, my experience with actual people fighting over there is that contact with reality usually leaves them considerably less bellicose. But, regardless, I am fully capable of separating my ideals from what I have to do. I'm less concerned with whether I'd be able to do it than I am with whether or not I'd want to. I'll admit to finding something ineffably seductive about it, but as it is, I don't think I'll be picking up a rifle just yet. (Corollary: I would totally be down for checking bags at Baghdad International with Custer Battles for 150k/year. Hook me up.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnapril
You did not go all this way for no reason. Think it through. Will going anywhere else make a difference? Anywhere you go, the same equation faces you. You could have stopped in Ohio, in Indiana, in many of the places along the route you took and found a very similar set of circumstances awaiting you. What does this mean? Is it particular to you? No. We all face this sort of moment, sometimes multiple times, before we decide to deal with it. Perhaps there is still some mystery involved in the way things "work out" for each individual. The language you put to the experience of crossing a continent speaks to a pace you may not even be aware that you are going. Do you know how far you have to slow down? Have you considered that you are making choices? Is there someone who loves you waiting somewhere? Doesn't the mother form the child in her womb? Isn't the world contained in the blade of grass? And there you go, no one understands, we are not looking for a solution to life, neither are you. But that is the way you put it. You are using this sort of langauge. You are saying, Life is a problem that has a solution. But that isn't right, is it? Or you would have found it, after so long a travel.
You are right, at least as far as life being a problem in need of a solution. This may seem bathetic, but all I can say is that that has been my experience thus far. As it is, now, and as much as I would like to stay here, I'm finding the SF area and economy in particular to be, well, particularly inhospitable. If I had a car, it might be another matter, but staying here seems, while not impossible, increasingly Pyrrhic. I still have some resources back in Connecticut, and that may be the devil I know. I'm not certain yet, but somewhere between the next few hours and the next day, I will be.
post #30 of 50
What was the purpose of this trip and how would staying there become Pyrrhic?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Well, at least I didn't get raped