or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › official 2010 world cup thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

official 2010 world cup thread - Page 110

post #1636 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta View Post
whatever man. if you're not into it, you don't have to post in this thread. we've had a billion "why americans don't like soccer" threads already.

What? I think you missed his point.

It's just at moments like this its obvious why soccer can be such an amazing, intense and enthralling game. But its easy to let the big moments slip between your fingers when you don't have some magnetic personalities and history that draws you in in the first place.

I didn't read it as a criticism of the sport or of its fans, just that it's both a shame and completely understandable why it isn't as big as football, basketball, etc.
post #1637 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
if the MLS can become a respectable league and get national recognition and international players (not an over the hill beckham who never plays) then maybe.

This isn't going to happen any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
If the champions league concept was expanded to include MLS and top central/south american team then that would help too. USA is just too much on the outside of the soccer world for fans to really care

Are you saying to expand the current CL to include MLS teams or that CONCACAF should have a CL-equivalent?

If it's the former, then you're crazy.

If it's the later, then it already exists.
post #1638 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post



That's not fair...his momentum, the position of the ball, etc etc made that a much harder shot than what the picture shows.
post #1639 of 4057
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
What? I think you missed his point.

It's just at moments like this its obvious why soccer can be such an amazing, intense and enthralling game. But its easy to let the big moments slip between your fingers when you don't have some magnetic personalities and history that draws you in in the first place.

I didn't read it as a criticism of the sport or of its fans, just that it's both a shame and completely understandable why it isn't as big as football, basketball, etc.

i get that now. that's why i said "my bad."
post #1640 of 4057
America is a notoriously front-running sports fan base. part of it is because we have so many sports that we are world-class at, that the ones where we're not so good get put on the back burner. but show us a competitive team at the biggest stage, and the fans start coming in droves.
post #1641 of 4057
What was wrong w/ Ally McCoist yesterday? Completely hoarse brogue was unintelligible - late night in the shebeens?
post #1642 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta View Post
i get that now. that's why i said "my bad."
Yea, saw that after I posted. this thread is moving so fast.
post #1643 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post



That's not as bad a miss as you guys are making out. It was coming at him pretty quick on his wrong foot. Now Yakubu last night for Nigeria, that's a miss.
post #1644 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by embowafa View Post
That's not fair...his momentum, the position of the ball, etc etc made that a much harder shot than what the picture shows.

We agree, didn't see that coming!!
post #1645 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post
This isn't going to happen any time soon.



Are you saying to expand the current CL to include MLS teams or that CONCACAF should have a CL-equivalent?

If it's the former, then you're crazy.

If it's the later, then it already exists.

I wasn't saying anything should happen. I was saying that if there was some larger club competition like champions league to feature teams from the western hemisphere along with the best from europe, US fans would be more likely to care. Hard to care about MLS when it plays essentially in a bubble
post #1646 of 4057
ideally, who do we want to face in the elimination round??
post #1647 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post
America is a notoriously front-running sports fan base. part of it is because we have so many sports that we are world-class at, that the ones where we're not so good get put on the back burner.

but show us a competitive team at the biggest stage, and the fans start coming in droves.

I don't know if US is the only place to like winners and be front runners. I mean, that's the issue we're discussing. Is it simply because the US isn't that good? I'd argue that the US have some fine players (no creative forwards or dominating strikers at the world star level) and a solid national team with a large population and culture that values athletics highly. The ingredients are there but it's like what i explained with european basketball. It's more a niche thing over there like soccer is here. Not to say there aren't fans of those sports though.
post #1648 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by benecios View Post
We agree, didn't see that coming!!

Yay!!! The World Cup truly does bring everyone together!
post #1649 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post
ideally, who do we want to face in the elimination round??

not germany basically. they're a bit banged up and not playing stellar but still don't want to play a team that experienced and talented
post #1650 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post
ideally, who do we want to face in the elimination round??

from SI

"ยข How big is winning the group? Not only does the U.S. survive to fight another day, but it gets placed into a much easier quadrant of the single-elimination tournament that now takes place. If Germany can win Group D, the U.S. would probably meet Serbia or Ghana, avoiding Germany, with the winner of the U.S.'s second-round game to face the victor of Uruguay-South Korea. Long story short: Which quadrant would you rather be in, the one with Serbia/Ghana-Uruguay-South Korea or the one with Germany-Argentina-Mexico? I think we know the answer to that one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › official 2010 world cup thread