• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit and shirt critique

danz24

Reaction score
UPDATE: Mar. 2 Here is my remade suit. How does it look like now?? Any comments welcome. Don't mind the color in the first pic, picture was overexposed.
DSC_0225.jpg
DSC_0222.jpg
DSC_0218.jpg
DSC_0232.jpg
DSC_0237.jpg
DSC_0240.jpg

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, don't take this post personally! It's though to get properly fitting MTM clothing, especially the first time and even more so if you purchased this online.

The jacket fits too tight. It looks like someone got an OTR jacket that sort-of fit your shoulders and added way too much waist suppression. The armholes are too low and the body is too short for my liking. The sleeves could be shortened also. The chest is probably a bit too tight also. See how the chest is spreading? Something funky is going on with the pants also. It could just be the photo though.

How's the shirt when you sit down in the waist? I agree, the armholes look a little small for you. That's an easy adjustment for your next shirt order.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The suit needs a lot of work. Amongst other problems with the jacket, it is way too short (like a woman's jacket). The sleeves don't look like they fit your arms at all: bad curvature and funky rumpling. Your trousers have a terrible line--it looks like they are bagging behind your thighs and too low on your waist.

Who made this? Was it bespoke or MTM?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you need a new belt.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of this suit.

To echo foo's comment, the jacket is entirely too short, almost to the point of being ridiculous. It barely covers your belt it's that short.

Also, the rise on the trousers accentuates how short the jacket is, and really creates a terrible illusion.

The sleeves need work, and I'm not sure it can be fixed without recutting the sleeve head altogether. The first pic seems to show a lot of padding in those shoulders, and you'd probably be better off with a more natural shoulder.

I see some buckling in the lapels indicating a tight fit in the chest as well, but hard to tell with the pics given

oaw01

Reaction score
I second the "burn the suit" comment. What look were you going for with the suit? Jacket is too small and the pants has the saggy ass look.

eg.. Just take a good look of the pic and see if you can deal with wearing what you purchased. My first MTM suit was from HK - I thought I was a RL model until I closely look at it and it went straight to the trashbin.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
pull up your damn pants.

The short jacket and saggy ass is accentuated by your need for a belt.

danz24

Reaction score
Thanks for your help and honest opinions. You guys are brutally honest! It was an online order and I will have do a remake. Here are submitted measurements: * Height:5.4 * Weight:140 * Shoulders:Normal Shoulders * Chest:Regular Chest * Stomach:Average Stomach * Posture:Hunched Posture * Your Suit Jacket/Shirt Fit * Neck:15.75" * Chest Size:36.5" * Shoulder Size:18" * Stomach size:32" * Sleeves Length:22.75" * Jacket Length:27.5" * Jacket Hips:36" * Bice Size:12.5" * Wrist Size:6.5" * Your Pants Fit: * Pants length:36" * Thigh:21.5" * Pants Hips:36.25" * Knee:15" * Crotch:27.5" * Waist:34.5" * Choose a fit:traditional" I guess for the remake here is what I should and need to do. Please let me know if i am on the right track for adjustments; Suit Jacket I need to loosen up the jacket, reduce suppresion, raise armhole, fix sleeves, natural shoulder Jacket Length +2in Chest size +1in Bicep size +0.5in (will this help with the arm curvature or should I reduce?) Stomach size +0.5in Suit Pants Fix the line, pull pants up. Pants Length +3in Crotch -1in Thigh -1in Shirt Need to loosen up in the armpit area. For adjustments i'm thinking of adding; Chest size +0.5in One more thing...whats wrong with my belt?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more note. If you are gonna go with a narrow lapel on the suit, then choose a tie that is narrow as well. Especially with the low button stance on the first button and how much shirt/tie is visible as a result.
DSC_0464%20%2001-02-10.jpg

JT82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by danz24
It was an online order and I will have do a remake.
It seems to me that you're looking at some very substantial changes that need to be made here. Online MTM is extremely tricky, especially for a suit. Your best bet might be to find yourself a reputable MTM shop nearby, and have them take measurements and produce a suit for you. While it might cost more, it will be money well spent as compared to several iterations (and likely several ill-fitting suits) until you finally "get it right."

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the shirt is okay but collar is boring.

the suit cannot be salvaged. beyond bad.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danz24
Height:5.4
* Jacket Length:27.5"

That should be about the right length for someone your height, maybe 0.5" shorter than the usual, but certainly not as short as it looks. Do you have a tape-measure? Can you measure the actual length of the jacket from the base of the collar to the hem? I can't see how that jacket can possibly be 27.5" long unless you're much taller than you say you are. Maybe they took the measurement to mean from the top of the collar or something...
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads