• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LED tv

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As compared to? In general, the only advantage LCDs have is that they work relatively well in bright rooms. For any other important aspect of a display, they are beaten by some other kind of technology.

--Andre

edit: oops, I read "LED" as "LCD". Go with what Brian said.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand they have the main advantages of LCDs (work better in bright rooms, less power consumption) but have better black level performance, a major weakness of LCDs.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most (all?) of the LED TVs on the market aren't 100% LED, its just the outer ring. It will be a fantastic technology once it becomes more economically viable.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I have an LCD in my room now, but I'm looking to buy the new LEDs. I saw them today while furniture shopping and was so suprised at how thin they can make them. What I saw, they actually looked better than the LCDs on display beside them.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The really thin sets are edge-lit, meaning the LEDs are on the side, instead of behind the screen. You get a thin profile, but non-uniform brightness across the screen. Backlit LED sets have more uniform lighting, and can do local dimming to get better black levels, but are thicker.

--Andre

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The really thin sets are edge-lit, meaning the LEDs are on the side, instead of behind the screen. You get a thin profile, but non-uniform brightness across the screen. Backlit LED sets have more uniform lighting, and can do local dimming to get better black levels, but are thicker.

--Andre

so the only upside is a thinner set? Seems kind of a waste for thousands more.

When you talk about non-uniform brightness is it really pronounced? Enough so that it would disrupt viewing?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
so the only upside is a thinner set? Seems kind of a waste for thousands more.

When you talk about non-uniform brightness is it really pronounced? Enough so that it would disrupt viewing?

Some people will pay lots of $$$ for thinner sets, picture quality be damned. I would judge for yourself, but it's usually apparent only on scenes with a black or white swath of color that goes from edge-to-edge.

--Andre

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
So I now have a question for you..I have a Bravia XBR; do I:

A) buy a new model XBR LCD
B) kop a samsung LED
C) wait a little longer and see what other selection there is for LEDs

*I don't need to buy right away, seeing as I intend to move out at earliest next summer.*

EDIT: in writing this, I kinda see that C is more of the right option.

brianja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
So I now have a question for you..I have a Bravia XBR; do I:

A) buy a new model XBR LCD
B) kop a samsung LED
C) wait a little longer and see what other selection there is for LEDs

*I don't need to buy right away, seeing as I intend to move out at earliest next summer.*

EDIT: in writing this, I kinda see that C is more of the right option.

C unless you really want the best in PQ and don't care so much about how thin the set is.

I believe Sony has discontinued their local dimming set the XBR8. It's a great set and if you really want the best LCD for PQ you may still be able to find a few around in stores (this is why you shouldn't wait if this is what you want). They discontinued them because they were a bit costly to produce for them. There is no official news of a model coming out to replace it, so it may be the last of a dying breed.

I have a 55" XBR8 and I am really happy with it.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianja
C unless you really want the best in PQ and don't care so much about how thin the set is.
If he really wanted the best in PQ he would get a plasma.
fight[1].gif

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
If he really wanted the best in PQ he would get a plasma.
fight[1].gif

Originally Posted by chas
fistbump.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by A Y
+1

--Andre

are plasmas really better? I heard they have a tendency to burn the images on the screen, is this true?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads