or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Barry Bonds one back of Bambino
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Barry Bonds one back of Bambino - Page 2

post #16 of 81
A couple of favorites.
post #17 of 81
Aaron WAS great. No denying it. He just wasn't as great as Mays. No one is. Yet.

As for Bonds' personality, I don't really care. I don't have to deal with him. I just think a lot has to do with the fact that he's not all that nice to the media. So, they are the ones who write the stories. Ah, the power of the pen!
post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachbeet
Aaron WAS great. No denying it. He just wasn't as great as Mays. No one is. Yet.

As for Bonds' personality, I don't really care. I don't have to deal with him. I just think a lot has to do with the fact that he's not all that nice to the media. So, they are the ones who write the stories. Ah, the power of the pen!

I agree on all counts. another guy I liked, Willie Stargell(?)
I saw my first ML home run by him in St. Louis. funky wind up twich with his arm, then he nailed it!
post #19 of 81
Oi, here comes the standard issue nostalgia. Better than Mays: Ruth, Bonds, Mantle, DiMaggio, Cobb, Gehrig, and Pujols is well on his way. That's just the hitters!

I don't do humble opinions about baseball
Tom
post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachbeet
Aaron WAS great. No denying it. He just wasn't as great as Mays. No one is. Yet.

As a child I saw Willie Mays play at Seals' Stadium in 1958 and 1959. He just made it appear so effortless, even when he hustled. One of the most amazing plays I've ever seen was an inside-the-park grand slam by Mays in the then new Candlestick Park. Memories fade, but I think that hit was against the Phillies in the same year the Giants played the Yankees in the World Series, 1962.

In those days, many of the players took off-season jobs to make ends meet. Willie's godchild doesn't know that side of life.
_________________________________________
post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
In those days, many of the players took off-season jobs to make ends meet. Willie's godchild doesn't know that side of life.
Why is that sad?
post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
Why is that sad?

The frown indicates my sympathies to the opinion of many that Mr. Bonds may have long ago lost touch with the world populated by most of baseball’s fans. Although baseball is not a static sport by any means, communications technology and the forced developmental dynamics of the players put fellows like Mr. Bonds and baseball fans in equally difficult positions today. Like most sports, baseball has morphed in order to maintain its economic viability.

For better or worse, today’s players have no place to hide. Celebrity has a different price these days. Tickets have a different price as well. I have some sympathy for the players as well as the fans. The sport cannot go back in time. I suspect the consensus opinion of Mr. Bonds would be generally less controversial, but every bit as high, if Mr. Bonds were playing alongside Mr. Mays.
______________________________________
post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachbeet
I just think a lot has to do with the fact that he's not all that nice to the media. So, they are the ones who write the stories. Ah, the power of the pen!

"Roger Maris Syndrome."

I do think the game was more enjoyable back when the players made good money - doctor/lawyer money, I certainly wouldn't begrudge them that - rather than Hollywood megastar money.
post #24 of 81
I'd say Ruth best of all time, Mays a close second, Bonds third*.
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay.
I'd say Ruth best of all time, Mays a close second, Bonds third*.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but I believe the consensus is that Bonds is the best player of all time.
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
You are of course entitled to your opinion but I believe the consensus is that Bonds is the best player of all time.


Being a native and going to games with plenty of old-timers, I can say that most of them think that Bonds is better than Mays was. They generally love Mays and hate Bonds, but the opinions on quality are pretty much the same up and down the line.
post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Being a native and going to games with plenty of old-timers, I can say that most of them think that Bonds is better than Mays was. They generally love Mays and hate Bonds, but the opinions on quality are pretty much the same up and down the line.

Hitter, or overall player?
post #28 of 81
I'm one of those who believes that winning championships is part of what makes someone the best, not just their individual stats ot their natural talent.

Only when the stars align do you get both. That's why they call Gretzky "The Great One." IMHO, Bonds and Gretzky don't belong in the same pantheon or conversation.

Look at the list for other sports

BB: Jordan/Bird/Magic
Football: Montana/Jim Brown/Elway
Hockey: Gretzky
Baseball: Ruth/Damaggio/Mantle (and I hate the Yankees)

Does Bonds really belong anywhere near these guys? I think not.
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret
Hitter, or overall player?


I think that the prevailing opinion is that he WAS as good a left fielder as Mays was a center fielder. He no longer is, but in his prime he was unreal. He might not have been the baserunner that Mays was, but he was a much better base stealer. He is a good bit better hitter than Mays was. I think overally it is bonds by a hair.

Andrew-

I think that baseball is exempt from your argument. Sometimes your team just sucks.
post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt

Andrew-

I think that baseball is exempt from your argument. Sometimes your team just sucks.

What about the Bulls? Are they even a .500 without Jordan? The Giants/Pirates would have probably won about the same number of games with or without Barry.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Barry Bonds one back of Bambino