• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Many Asking about Clothing for Dates

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's odd that here and in other clothing forums, few people ask about how to dress for dates. Many new members ask very basic questions about matters like interviews and weddings. Do average men think it unimportant if they already know the person? Or what is it?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe we've learned that it's what's inside that counts...
devil.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have notcied that many new members come here because of a need to adhere to specific dress codes, eg work, interviews, weddings.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife doesn't let me date any more.
smile.gif

tangerine

Reaction score
To paraphrase RJMan, I like to dress as myself for dates. I feel much more relaxed and confident that way. Also, I do not create any unrealistic expectations regarding my attire in general.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I think it depends on a host of factors and there's no set rule...

I or someone else could probably write a book on that subject alone.

But by the time you got it published, it'd be out of date.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many interesting replies so far, thanks.

Women also dress for other women. The subtext seems to be that it is unmasculine for a man to dress for approval when he doesn't have to, especially if it's a woman's approval. Or at least to be seen as seeking such approval.

But dressing for dates isn't supposed to be that. It's more about being situationally appropriate, communicating personality traits, and setting the right mood (mostly through color and fit).

Steve is right - any book about dating attire would soon become outdated, but the guidelines above have this company considering writing an article.

It also is possible that the newbie questions focus on dress codes because more fluid subjects like dating require more sharing of personal information.

Does anyone here who didn't used to care about style recall how much, if any, special thought he put into dating attire then?

tangerine

Reaction score
I'm not clear on where you're seeing the subtext you mention. I think the answers so far indicate that we want approval for being who we already know we are; I don't see where masculinity has been an issue. I think we are trying to communicate personality traits by dressing in the style we have already cultivated.

I am curious to know what you mean about setting the right mood through color and fit. That went right over my head.

Since I was interested in clothes and style long before I started dating, I can't help with your last question, but I hope someone who can answer it will.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mentioned the same thing but in prior threads, but I am soooo thankful I am married. I could not possibly deal with dating again. Sheesh. Anyway, I am also interested in the subtext you mentioned. Could you please elaborate?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's assume that, on a date, both the man and woman are evaluating for a long-term relationship. If she is the typical woman, she will rule him out if he is too aggressive or not masculine enough.

Color and fit - and also texture - communicate power and sensuality. Red, for example, signals sexuality; and a pair of jeans with a flattering fit shows a woman a favorite part of the male form. If a man wears attire that communicates the right mix of the two qualities, he is unlikely to be rejected before he opens his mouth and (at least initially) what he does say is going to be filtered positively.

tangerine

Reaction score
That makes sense. I was wondering how one reconciled color and fit for mood-setting with "everyday" flattering colors and fits for an individual. For instance, I don't wear much red, I don't think it's the best color for me. But from your example I take it that even a red accent could be enough to set the mood. Am I reading you right?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
Color and fit - and also texture - communicate power and sensuality. Red, for example, signals sexuality; and a pair of jeans with a flattering fit shows a woman a favorite part of the male form. If a man wears attire that communicates the right mix of the two qualities, he is unlikely to be rejected before he opens his mouth and (at least initially) what he does say is going to be filtered positively.

Obviously what you chose to wear and whether or not it fits you properly is important, but when I see so-called experts (no disrespect intended) giving advice on what colors to wear in an attempt to influence how you will be perceived by women, I can't help but wonder who actually buys that stuff.

Now if you said that wearing bright colors signals a certain level of confidence in a man, I could live with that. But saying that red signals sexuality, or blue signals serenity or calm is ridiculous. Personally, I pick colors I like that also look good on me. They're not a window to my soul. I would think that most reasonable people, even women, would probably realize that I'm not any more sexual than the next guy because I'm wearing a red shirt ;p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads