or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1681

post #25201 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

So I received a pair of 2nds as a gift. However there are some creases and I would like either exchange it or return it for another style. I don't have a receipt since this was a gift. Any solutions to this? I'm not even sure which place he got it from. The shoe is unworn, but it has some creases on the leather. 

 

If there are, in fact, seconds then they were not purchased at Nordstroms or an AE store. They were likely purchased at an AE outlet or the Shoe Bank, potentially Century 21 or Nordstrom Rack. 

 

The simple answer is ask the person who gifted them to you then return them accordingly. 

 

That said, shoes develop creases. Unless they are deep creases (which I doubt they are), then it's a non issue. Shoes develop light creases after trying them on so even new firsts will usually have some creases. 

post #25202 of 49491
Allen Edmonds explores Sale:
http://www.mrketplace.com/54011/allen-edmonds-exploring-sale-of-company/

First Abboud, then Hickey, Now AE
post #25203 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post


I didn't purchase my originals from Nordstroms, but maybe I'll head over there, and pick up a pair, then return the ebay ones for a refund. Any idea how long the sale is on for? The closest Nordstrom's from me is a little ways away.

Thanks
-Scott

Are you saying you're going to buy new ones from Nordstrom's and then "return" your eBay shoes to Nordstrom's for a refund? I hope my English comprehension is what's at fault here and not ethics. If there's a problem with the eBay shoes this should be taken up with the eBay seller.

If I'm just completely misunderstanding the intention, I apologize.
post #25204 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogwash View Post


Are you saying you're going to buy new ones from Nordstrom's and then "return" your eBay shoes to Nordstrom's for a refund? I hope my English comprehension is what's at fault here and not ethics. If there's a problem with the eBay shoes this should be taken up with the eBay seller.

If I'm just completely misunderstanding the intention, I apologize.

That is the way I read what he said, and if so, he has some serious ethical issues.

post #25205 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor View Post

Allen Edmonds explores Sale:
http://www.mrketplace.com/54011/allen-edmonds-exploring-sale-of-company/

First Abboud, then Hickey, Now AE

 

I think that news is a little old. Few pages back discussed this. The CEO clarified that they are looking for more capital rather than a sale.

post #25206 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post

I didn't purchase my originals from Nordstroms, but maybe I'll head over there, and pick up a pair, then return the ebay ones for a refund. Any idea how long the sale is on for? The closest Nordstrom's from me is a little ways away.

 

Thanks

-Scott

 

Usually the AE shoes sold on ebay have been marked... So, you should be weary about doing something like that.

post #25207 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Would it be stupid to precondition new AE shoes with renovateur before wearing them? I'm not sure wether the leather is dried up if it sits in the factory boxes too long. 

Not stupid at all. I always condition and polish new shoes before I wear them.
Edited by LeviMay - 7/19/13 at 3:24pm
post #25208 of 49491

Hello. I've lurked this forum for a while, and this is my first post, as I need some advice, and I'm a bit of a shoe-care-noob.

I just ordered a pair of Walnut Calf Daltons during the Nordstrom Sale, and I was hoping to get some advice on caring for them as soon as I pull them out of the box. I know there's the huge thread on shoe care, but I was hoping to get some advice directly from someone who already owns the Daltons, or something similar.


What I'm most concerned with is giving them a bit of protection before I even put them on my feet. I've read that it's a good idea to stay away from silicone waterproofing sprays, and that stuff like Obenauf's LP will darken the leather considerably. Will something like the AE Premium Polish (in Walnut, of Course) be sufficient to provide a bit of protection? Also, will that type of polish, when applied to a burnished finish like the Daltons', eventually build up and cover up the darker areas of the burnishing, changing the initial appearance of the boot? I'd like to maintain the burnished finish as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 

post #25209 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennuis View Post

Hi, i'm also new to AE and also about to bite the bullet on the AE strands on the nordstrom website.

I seem to size up as 8E, according to the AE size guide. However, after reading several threads i understand that the Strand is a 5 last, which is longer and narrower.

As I live in Australia, I can't go into a store and try them on for myself (best solution) so it is a bit of a gamble for me.

I own a few Loake 1880 shoes that are size 8.5UK or 9UK with a G fitting and they seem to fit me well if that gives some idea to anyone. And yes, I do have a bit of a wide foot.

 

Would just like some advice regarding this.

Thanks in advance

Very strange, sorry to ask, did you print out the sizing guide correctly and measured your fee, because UK sizes are normally half a size down compare to US. I have AE PA in US7E, and my Loake Capital F and 026G lasts in UK 6.5s.

and what Loakes do you have, since you wear 8.5 and 9 in them?
post #25210 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by masernaut View Post

Whatever these are called, they are gorgeous. A nice sleek profile to boot (no pun intended). AE MAKE THIS AND I'LL BUY ONE!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ALLEN-EDMONDS-Military-Style-Split-Toe-Black-Leather-Boots-Shoes-9D-NIB-495-/380675798711?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item58a20bb6b7

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTI0NzI0MGUwNTFjOGU2ZDA4MDc4NzA1MWU4NmRjODA2NWUyfHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9M3x8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT03LzE4LzEzIDk6MzIgUE0=

Parkway boots? Sorry, definitely not a fan!
post #25211 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Would it be stupid to precondition new AE shoes with renovateur before wearing them? I'm not sure wether the leather is dried up if it sits in the factory boxes too long. 

It's won't hurt the leather, but I reckon there is no need for new shoes since the factory usually applied enough to last some time.
post #25212 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarman View Post

Hello. I've lurked this forum for a while, and this is my first post, as I need some advice, and I'm a bit of a shoe-care-noob.


I just ordered a pair of Walnut Calf Daltons during the Nordstrom Sale, and I was hoping to get some advice on caring for them as soon as I pull them out of the box. I know there's the huge thread on shoe care, but I was hoping to get some advice directly from someone who already owns the Daltons, or something similar.


What I'm most concerned with is giving them a bit of protection before I even put them on my feet. I've read that it's a good idea to stay away from silicone waterproofing sprays, and that stuff like Obenauf's LP will darken the leather considerably. Will something like the AE Premium Polish (in Walnut, of Course) be sufficient to provide a bit of protection? Also, will that type of polish, when applied to a burnished finish like the Daltons', eventually build up and cover up the darker areas of the burnishing, changing the initial appearance of the boot? I'd like to maintain the burnished finish as much as possible.


Thanks in advance for any advice.

 

Any wax polish will provide protection as it sits on top of the leather as a layer. If the polish is dark compare to the non burnished parts, yes, it will. So it's generally easier to use light polish, and a darker polish at the toes if you want to build up patina.

As in you can do the burnishing effects yourself.
post #25213 of 49491

Went to Nordstroms and they didn't have my size, so I wound up just ordering a pair of 12D Walnut Strands while I was there. This should keep me occupied for a while. I really don't want any other shoes at the moment. 

post #25214 of 49491
Would you have any qualms returning a pair of AE's to Nordstrom purchased in December because they no longer fit?

These are McTavishes, that I paid full retail and have a receipt in hand. I wore these at most once a week for a few months on casual Friday's until it felt like they stretched out and now even with thick socks the shoes are too big.

What will they do if they do not have another pair of shoes in my size in stock? Will they size me in a different shoe?
post #25215 of 49491
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Very strange, sorry to ask, did you print out the sizing guide correctly and measured your fee, because UK sizes are normally half a size down compare to US. I have AE PA in US7E, and my Loake Capital F and 026G lasts in UK 6.5s.

and what Loakes do you have, since you wear 8.5 and 9 in them?


yep. printed everything correctly.

 

i wear the loake badminton in 9UK G and the herring knightsbridge in 8.5UK G pretty well for example, although the badminton has a little more room at the toes

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread