or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RULES for the tall and skinny man
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RULES for the tall and skinny man - Page 5

post #61 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiter dictum View Post
6'0" 194 is definitely not skinny, it's not even slim. If you calculate your BMI, you fall into the the lower end of the overweight bracket. Not that BMI is an accurate indicator, but it gets my point across.
Agreed. If 6'0" 194 is skinny then they dont have a name for my weight class. Im 5'9" and 120 pounds on a fat day.
post #62 of 316
OK I'll weigh in.

5'11" and 150lbs and I have some comments about this, while I'm certainly not as slim as many who are consulting on this post I do feel that you guys are making some comments that dont necessarily cover the whole gamut.

Khakis: these are certainly some of the toughest items to look good in, but they can be done right.

The key: No break, infact i like to leave them long and roll them up to the point where they dont touch my shoe.

Tapered, they have to be tapered below the knee.

Dont taper the full leg too much.

Options:
To keep cool in the summer consider linen pants instead.

Sweaters:
Dont take the advice that baggy sweaters look good, they dont. Buy a size that fits snug, with appropriately sized Neck openings, collars, ect.

Jackets:
Aside from fashion brands like Dior, RLBL, ect. I feel that in suiting and sportcoats the look that works is a soft shoulder, slim through the arm, a hair full in the chest, and slim at the waist.

Single vents work fine for me.

OTR shirts

Buy the right neck size, i went up until recent with 1/2" too big in the neck, its the size i started with and i just never sized down because i never went through the effort of trying on shirts of different sizes in the store.

I've always gotten my shirts tailored, its part of looking sharp.

Dart the shirts! but dont go crazy, too tight looks bad, just as bad as too loose.
post #63 of 316
I went to dior today and I can definitely confirm that it is still very slim even after hedi slimane left. They had a coat in size 30" chest and the trousers went down to about 27" waist and were cut very slim. If you want a really slim cut I can't think of any brand that has a slimmer cut.
post #64 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
They had a coat in size 30" chest...
Catering for the back to school market, I see.
post #65 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
How is the quality on Theory shirts? I never actually tried one on, oddly enough. Only suits.

As for tailoring shirts, I get the sides tucked in which cost me $25. I haven't had any shirts darted as of yet...the first time I went in I asked for just darts, but my trusted tailor just recc'd a tuck. He slimmed the sides, and also carried it through to the sleeves, effectively slimming them as well. Haven't done anything else since! This allows me to pick and choose any brand/cut as long as the neck and sleeves are right. Hence I always add $25 to any shirt I look at

That's what I do too, but I just look for slim fits that are not darted yet, when darted by my tailor, almost any brand (RTW) fits good to great. H&M has a lot of undarted slim fits by the way.
post #66 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFN View Post
Even Eton's contemporary line is quite slim with very long arms, but the slim fit models are obviously even slimmer.

/U.

I find that the contemporary fit have too much fabric in the back.
post #67 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
OK I'll weigh in.

5'11" and 150lbs and I have some comments about this, while I'm certainly not as slim as many who are consulting on this post I do feel that you guys are making some comments that dont necessarily cover the whole gamut.

Khakis: these are certainly some of the toughest items to look good in, but they can be done right.

The key: No break, infact i like to leave them long and roll them up to the point where they dont touch my shoe.

Tapered, they have to be tapered below the knee.


Dont taper the full leg too much.

Options:
To keep cool in the summer consider linen pants instead.

Sweaters:
Dont take the advice that baggy sweaters look good, they dont. Buy a size that fits snug, with appropriately sized Neck openings, collars, ect.

Jackets:
Aside from fashion brands like Dior, RLBL, ect. I feel that in suiting and sportcoats the look that works is a soft shoulder, slim through the arm, a hair full in the chest, and slim at the waist.

Single vents work fine for me.

OTR shirts

Buy the right neck size, i went up until recent with 1/2" too big in the neck, its the size i started with and i just never sized down because i never went through the effort of trying on shirts of different sizes in the store.

I've always gotten my shirts tailored, its part of looking sharp.

Dart the shirts!
but dont go crazy, too tight looks bad, just as bad as too loose.


THIS.

ytmnd sg
post #68 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafield View Post
I find that the contemporary fit have too much fabric in the back.

Yes, but I am not as skinny as I used to be so for me it's a plus (or rather, a requirement) . Still, I am 6' 5" and a 17" contemporary fits me well and might even be slightly long in the arms, so I'll stand my ground on them having very long sleeves. At least I don't know of any other make with similar proportions


/U.
post #69 of 316
Rules for body types shouldn't be taken too seriously. Shoes probably should be left out of the discusson altogether, as that gets into foot length relative to the rest of the body, color, how fitted the clothing is, etc.

As for pants, it's true that cotton tends to hang poorly, but it's not hard to make chinos/khakis look okay on a tall, thin man. (An attention-getting shirt goes a long way in distracting from imperfect pants.) Besides, wool and linen are impractical in many situations. By the way, corduroy works well on thin legs.

Horizontal stripes and plaids are the tip of the iceberg. Patterns, design details (like pockets), colors, and accessories can do a lot to disguise a long, thin silhouette.

Finally, rude or not, bulking up often should be the first priority.
post #70 of 316
There are no rules for the tall and skinny......
post #71 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post
Finally, rude or not, bulking up often should be the first priority.

This can be very problematic if you've spent a lot of money on clothes. I'm very happy with sitting and waiting until I get a well paying job or it becomes necessary before I change my wardrobe
post #72 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
Khakis: these are certainly some of the toughest items to look good in, but they can be done right. The key: No break, infact i like to leave them long and roll them up to the point where they dont touch my shoe. Tapered, they have to be tapered below the knee. Dont taper the full leg too much.
+1 (6'4"+)
post #73 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post
Agreed. If 6'0" 194 is skinny then they dont have a name for my weight class. Im 5'9" and 120 pounds on a fat day.

I am 5' 9.5" and weigh 200 pounds. What is the weight class for that? It can't be morbidly obese. After all, Artie Lange (on Howard Stern's radio show on Sirius XM satellite radio) is about 6' (give or take 1" or 2") and 300 pounds while Jorge Garcia (the actor that does the part of Hurley on the TV Series Lost) is about 6' (give or take 1" or 2") and 400 pounds.
post #74 of 316
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index Perhaps I/we should stop trying to specify what is and what isn't tall/skinny, the thread is derailing.
post #75 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
I am 5' 9.5" and weigh 200 pounds. What is the weight class for that? It can't be morbidly obese.
BMI is around 29, so that's well overweight but stil not (quite) obese.


/U.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RULES for the tall and skinny man