• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Target Suit?

inquirer89

Reaction score
Need advise please. Pharmacy school interview in less than two weeks and a sorority formal in a month. Looking to buy my first suit on a college budget. Would like a "60s Mad Men/Take Ivy" style with slim lapels and 2 buttons. I do not have an H&M, Zara, etc. near me so am looking online. (And staying away from MensWarehouse like a good little Noob SFer) What do you think of Target Merona? http://www.target.com/Merona-Premium...ank&rh=&page=2 On sale for $110 and free shipping. "Charcoal/Blue"...which are two different colors but at least not black. 100% wool but with Rayon and Polyester. Yay or nay?

trailer36

Reaction score
Go with the sharkskin one. Here is me wearing one to an xmas work party:

PArty2-1.jpg

this suit is unaltered in the jacket which is very rare for me as I normally wear a 40-42R and a 32 pant. The cool part is you can order separates. A bit of advice, order one jacket size down from what you would normally wear, they run big. Overall I think you will be very satisfied and will be hard-pressed to find better for the money.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trailer36
Go with the sharkskin one. Here is me wearing one to an xmas work party:

PArty2-1.jpg

this suit is unaltered in the jacket which is very rare for me as I normally wear a 40-42R and a 32 pant. The cool part is you can order separates. A bit of advice, order one jacket size down from what you would normally wear, they run big. Overall I think you will be very satisfied and will be hard-pressed to find better for the money.

That looks quite good.

inquirer89

Reaction score
That does look very nice, but unfortunately they don't have my pants or jacket size in Sharkskin. Would you say that the Merona premium wool suits fit exactly like the one in your picture?

trailer36

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inquirer89
That does look very nice, but unfortunately they don't have my pants or jacket size in Sharkskin. Would you say that the Merona premium wool suits fit exactly like the one in your picture?

I think that is a fair assumption. I cant say for sure though. They have another one that is a cool brown plaid that i will probably order too.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I was given one in a medium brown 100% wool fabric as a costume for a friend's movie production. My bit part had me getting tackled into a swimming pool. I still have the suit. It actually spent a coupe of days hanging on a clothesline. It's still decent. I think the tags said it was about $150 for the two separates. Fit seemed big even before it went into the pool, however.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
I think you can do better. Find out if there's a Syms nearby. For the price you're paying for the Target suit, you can get a better suit at Syms or any other off-price store. Try hitting up Marshall's as well. Also get on the Jos. A. Bank mailing list. Occasionally there are sub-$200 deals depending on how slow sales are at JAB. Also check the clearance section of Jos. A. Bank's website. I have a JAB Executive suit and it's ten-fold superior than what you can find at Target. I paid $180 because it was a clearance item.

It takes a bit of shopping but you can get more for your money if you scope out what your resources are and spend some quality time shopping.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with those suits is the cut. The cut on this suit is actually quite nice.

inquirer89

Reaction score
I don't have a Syms around, but did stop by JosABank this past weekend. They had a sale with the cheapest suits going for $200, but they didn't have my pants size nor did I like the cut and style. Same with Macys and Belk.

Unfortunately, time is not on my side to keep searching so I went ahead and bought the Target suit a few moments ago. It should arrive in 4-5 business days, and that may be enough time to stop by the tailor if I need to make any alterations. Thanks everyone for the input.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Let us know how you like it when it arrives. I've heard quite good things about the Target stuff, given the price. I dont own a suit, I do own one odd jacket I found at a thrift store with the tags still attached.

The Snob

Reaction score
That Target suit does look pretty good. I remember noticing them first in the tv ads and thinking those guys looked pretty good. My experience with the clothes has also been positive (the proenza schouler for target jeans are still my fave pair)

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Snob
That Target suit does look pretty good. I remember noticing them first in the tv ads and thinking those guys looked pretty good. My experience with the clothes has also been positive (the proenza schouler for target jeans are still my fave pair)

I agree. They make great workout clothes. I really wish they had Target when I was younger and had no money.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Someone posted a reply re: Marshalls/TJ Maxx, I dont see it, perhaps it was edited or deleted.

Around here, Marshalls and TJ Maxx dont normally carry suits. I think I've seen ONE over the years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads