1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Target Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by inquirer89, Mar 16, 2009.

1. inquirer89

inquirer89 Member

Need advise please. Pharmacy school interview in less than two weeks and a sorority formal in a month. Looking to buy my first suit on a college budget. Would like a "60s Mad Men/Take Ivy" style with slim lapels and 2 buttons. I do not have an H&M, Zara, etc. near me so am looking online. (And staying away from MensWarehouse like a good little Noob SFer) What do you think of Target Merona? http://www.target.com/Merona-Premium...ank&rh=&page=2 On sale for $110 and free shipping. "Charcoal/Blue"...which are two different colors but at least not black. 100% wool but with Rayon and Polyester. Yay or nay?

2. mystillwater

mystillwater Well-Known Member

it will probably be cut fuller than it appears on the model. they are suits made for the masses...

3. trailer36

trailer36 Well-Known Member

Go with the sharkskin one. Here is me wearing one to an xmas work party:

[​IMG]

this suit is unaltered in the jacket which is very rare for me as I normally wear a 40-42R and a 32 pant. The cool part is you can order separates. A bit of advice, order one jacket size down from what you would normally wear, they run big. Overall I think you will be very satisfied and will be hard-pressed to find better for the money.

4. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

this suit is unaltered in the jacket which is very rare for me as I normally wear a 40-42R and a 32 pant. The cool part is you can order separates. A bit of advice, order one jacket size down from what you would normally wear, they run big. Overall I think you will be very satisfied and will be hard-pressed to find better for the money.

That looks quite good.

5. inquirer89

inquirer89 Member

That does look very nice, but unfortunately they don't have my pants or jacket size in Sharkskin. Would you say that the Merona premium wool suits fit exactly like the one in your picture?

6. trailer36

trailer36 Well-Known Member

That does look very nice, but unfortunately they don't have my pants or jacket size in Sharkskin. Would you say that the Merona premium wool suits fit exactly like the one in your picture?

I think that is a fair assumption. I cant say for sure though. They have another one that is a cool brown plaid that i will probably order too.

7. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Well-Known Member

I was given one in a medium brown 100% wool fabric as a costume for a friend's movie production. My bit part had me getting tackled into a swimming pool. I still have the suit. It actually spent a coupe of days hanging on a clothesline. It's still decent. I think the tags said it was about $150 for the two separates. Fit seemed big even before it went into the pool, however.

8. Shoe City Thinker

Shoe City Thinker Well-Known Member

I think you can do better. Find out if there's a Syms nearby. For the price you're paying for the Target suit, you can get a better suit at Syms or any other off-price store. Try hitting up Marshall's as well. Also get on the Jos. A. Bank mailing list. Occasionally there are sub-$200 deals depending on how slow sales are at JAB. Also check the clearance section of Jos. A. Bank's website. I have a JAB Executive suit and it's ten-fold superior than what you can find at Target. I paid $180 because it was a clearance item.

It takes a bit of shopping but you can get more for your money if you scope out what your resources are and spend some quality time shopping.

9. fcuknu

fcuknu Well-Known Member

The problem with those suits is the cut. The cut on this suit is actually quite nice.

10. inquirer89

inquirer89 Member

I don't have a Syms around, but did stop by JosABank this past weekend. They had a sale with the cheapest suits going for $200, but they didn't have my pants size nor did I like the cut and style. Same with Macys and Belk.

Unfortunately, time is not on my side to keep searching so I went ahead and bought the Target suit a few moments ago. It should arrive in 4-5 business days, and that may be enough time to stop by the tailor if I need to make any alterations. Thanks everyone for the input.

11. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Well-Known Member

Let us know how you like it when it arrives. I've heard quite good things about the Target stuff, given the price. I dont own a suit, I do own one odd jacket I found at a thrift store with the tags still attached.

12. The Snob

The Snob Well-Known Member

That Target suit does look pretty good. I remember noticing them first in the tv ads and thinking those guys looked pretty good. My experience with the clothes has also been positive (the proenza schouler for target jeans are still my fave pair)

13. millionaire75

millionaire75 Well-Known Member

That Target suit does look pretty good. I remember noticing them first in the tv ads and thinking those guys looked pretty good. My experience with the clothes has also been positive (the proenza schouler for target jeans are still my fave pair)

I agree. They make great workout clothes. I really wish they had Target when I was younger and had no money.

14. raiderbuck

raiderbuck Well-Known Member

If Target made a 36R, I'd be all over that suit.

15. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Well-Known Member

Someone posted a reply re: Marshalls/TJ Maxx, I dont see it, perhaps it was edited or deleted.

Around here, Marshalls and TJ Maxx dont normally carry suits. I think I've seen ONE over the years.

16. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

It is a nice suit but with anything off the rack you might be looking into some fitting isssues.

17. Mr. Caber

Mr. Caber Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd go with Target bespoke.

18. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Well-Known Member

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Merona stuff when I go to Target. You could surely do worse.

19. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I always like seeing that Merona, T...shows how it can be done on a budget.

- B

20. Beta

Beta Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

if you normally wear 40-42R, what did you end up purchasing...we have similar structure, and thats looks good for the money.