• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the ultimate Noob thread. If you need help building up a new wardrobe, need a recommendation for a shirt/sneaker/jacket/jean/chino/cardigan/v-neck/hoodie/boot, please ask here, instead of starting a new thread.

If you are lucky, you will even get great advice from forum luminaries, including jet, who will inevitably recommend whatever his boy Ryan is carrying this season, and Teger, who is lonely, and will ask you to please phone him.

Enjoy,

Fok.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'll start it off:

I want a blazer. Something i can wear in semi-dressy type fits (can be dressed up or down). Nothing like black tie gala or opera. But with trousers, laceups and a button up/plain tshirt type dealy. Those who know me somewhat can kinda guess i'm i'm thinking of. I'm not in the raw denim mafia like some if that helps. I'd wear with everything from grey/black jeans to trousers in black/grey/dark navy, slim or loose fit. I'm interested in whatever, but i don't really know much about blazers as i don't own one

Slim (but not super short/cropped)
slim lapels but don't need to be super skinny
very little to no shoulder padding
don't want some super pressed business looking thing. somewhat natural
black, grey, navy are fine

brands i've seen carry something i've liked in the past:

raf simons
obedient sons
BoO
helmut lang
taralis
gustavolins
acne
geller
ervell
muji (gshen posted a decent looking one for being a cheapy brand)
lel posted a nice one (was it TaT? i forget. i sometimes think TaT might be a bit too tight/pressed for me based on jason's fits but i can't tell)

also, what boat shoes would go best with that? (just kidding)

skunkworks

Reaction score
Have you considered having Jason aka Thick As Thieves make you a custom jacket? I think if you picked out a casual fabric it would work well.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking for a slim pair of shorts for awhile...Jcrew has nice offerings this season but out of my price range at full retail. SLIM NOT SKINNY SHORTS.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Ive been looking for a slim pair of shorts for awhile...Jcrew has nice offerings this season but out of my price range at full retail. SLIM NOT SKINNY SHORTS.

Bson has made really nice fitting shorts for the past 2 seasons. I'd try to check out bson stockists that carry a lot of stuff like revolve to see if they still have some or carried some for spring.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: suggested TaT but beaten to it.

+ rep for starting this thread.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin

If J Crew is 2 much $$$, you're probably looking at Uniqlo, which is available only by proxy outside of NY. Gap may have some options, too; quality is OK for the price, but only a really good deal on sale (which won't happen until the end of the summer).

Maybe Bean, Lands End, Urban Outfitters?

chronoaug

Reaction score
Urban outfitters has random in house brands that should work. Fink, all sons, bdg, standard cloth, etc... They should fit the bill.

Also, you can phone or mail order directly from uniqlo if you know exactly what you want. You can use the UK webstore to get exact details and item names to link in email orders.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
basics:

MMM, Jil, Dries, filippa k, h & m, express

runway:

raf, ck collection

sneaks:

cp, raf, rick, nike

boots:

MMM, julius

futurist/ninja:

viridi-anne
julius
rick

i buy the bondage stuff i don;t post in waywts at trash & vaudeville

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the majority of my wardrobe is basics from brands like j crew/banana republic, with a few pieces from 'expensive' brands that I find cheap. knowing how to shop sales and what to compromise on is the key to having a nice wardrobe with a limited budget. it's important to learn your sizing on brands that you can't afford right now, so if something does come up cheap you won't be wasting your money if you pull the trigger.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
express

AKA the forgotten mall brand; I haven't been in one in a minute. Worth a look?

P.S. Agree w/ everything Teger said.

sploosh

Reaction score
I need to get something to wear for easter. I was thinking light blue button up shirt(maybe with a yellow tie, probably with out a tie.) Suggestions for what type of pants to wear, and what shirt I should buy. I am still growing so nothing too expensive. Also I was thinking for shoes, boat shoes would go pretty well, Although I could be thinking wrong and they could look terrible.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for basic shirts for $40'ish, you cannot do better. have some white button downs for 5 years that have held up well. their fashiony stuff is ill, but for basics, a solid and cheap choice.

Originally Posted by Bona Drag
AKA the forgotten mall brand; I haven't been in one in a minute. Worth a look?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
express is ok for super basics like tees and button down shirts. the issue I have with them is that none of their stuff is 100% cotton, and I like a little more 'drape' in my shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads