• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^I assume you mean "grenadine" tie. It's not; it's a knit, which is a quite respectable thing to be. It is certainly worth $3. What's it made of?

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Xenos. Really. Stop it.

I'm loving the Paul Stuart and J. Press ties.

Originally Posted by kellgy
Found this at SA today. Is it a gabardine tie and is it worth 3.00?

Don't know for sure whether or not that's gabardine"”there was a good thread on the topic a while back, though I couldn't find it for myself the other day"” but it's a nice knit by a nice brand. I'd've been pleased with my purchase.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Just a couple pics of mondays finds Paul Stuart Sport Coat
010.jpg
011.jpg
Chester Barrie Navy pinstriped suit. 2 btn, flat front pants. MINT
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
Samuelsohn Loro Piana cloth blue blazer
012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
Billy Reid pearl snap western shirt
017.jpg
Corneliani shirt
016.jpg
Zegna shirt
015.jpg
Santorelli pants
008.jpg
Zegna jeans (my size but a tad slim for my taste in the thighs)
004.jpg
Brioni tie
003.jpg
Coach and zegna ties
001.jpg
faconnable and canali ties
002.jpg
not a great deal but got these socks from marshalls (polo 3 pack for 9.99) and stein mart for the gold toes @ 1.99/pr
018.jpg
Worked on my hanger collection a bit as well Oxxford suit hanger
DSC_0003.jpg
Polo Ralph Lauren suit hanger
DSC_0001.jpg
Brooks Brothers suit hanger
DSC_0002.jpg
Couple vintage setwell suit hangers
DSC_0005.jpg
vintage setwell sport coat hanger
DSC_0004.jpg

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^I assume you mean "grenadine" tie. It's not; it's a knit, which is a quite respectable thing to be. It is certainly worth $3. What's it made of?
Yep, I meant grenadine, thanks. The material appears to be cotton. I don't know, maybe it is silk. I'm new at ties so I will have to compare it to others when I get a chance.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Dude, that's hilarious. What did you say?

My local Junior League shop has like four or five western-style Pendleton blazers...from my old pediatrician. It's also a safe bet that any Polo tie I flip over will bear the name of my middle school arch nemesis.
facepalm.gif

haha i was stunned

i was like : "uhhh.....yeah they are nice shoes...thank you"

today:
2 Versace Jeans Couture shirts one size too large for me (Large)

the buttons are awesome they are little medusa heads on a chrome plated button (metal obviously )

debating whether to sell, harvast buttons for a bespoke shirt or tailor the shirt

vaulter1

Reaction score
One of the discount chains around here recently got in a shipment of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and I picked up 4 white, non-iron, slim-fit, French-cuff shirts for R99 each (which is about $15). Not the deal of the century but getting decently priced clothes in a country that has a 60% import duty on clothing is remarkably difficult.

Chico2007

Reaction score
Found this at SA today. Is it a gabardine tie and is it worth 3.00?

photo6.jpg

If you like it, it's worth $3.
Aquascutum ties usually retail for $100-$150 new. I just thrifted one last week for $4...real nice.
Will try to post pic of the ties I've picked up recently.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I meant grenadine, thanks. The material appears to be cotton. I don't know, maybe it is silk. I'm new at ties so I will have to compare it to others when I get a chance.
From the photo it appears to be cotton. Silk knits are usually more lustrous. Silk knits also have a "crunch" when squeezed between your fingers, while cotton smoothly compresses. Anyway, it is a nice looking tie and certainly a good buy.

Reaction score
So, this is mostly to say "hi," and to thank the collective wisdom of this forum. I'm still working through pages, like, 500-800, but with only 500-odd pages under my belt, I feel like I've taken a master-class in thrifting. I just changed jobs, and I built a business-casual wardrobe for like $150, including like forty ties.

This thread also has a way of making me feel sort of insignificant. In the last week, I've managed to find a Lanvin blazer (maybe a "lost" suit jacket), a Canali suit, and a lovely Paul Stuart shirt--but not, like, the insane multiple finds that y'all manage. But maybe I'll have a decent day, one day. Until then, thanks. You've made me regard a "normal" shopping day as finding five Kiton suits for $35.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliterativerevival
This thread also has a way of making me feel sort of insignificant. In the last week, I've managed to find a Lanvin blazer (maybe a "lost" suit jacket), a Canali suit, and a lovely Paul Stuart shirt--but not, like, the insane multiple finds that y'all manage. But maybe I'll have a decent day, one day. Until then, thanks. You've made me regard a "normal" shopping day as finding five Kiton suits for $35.

You "Lanvin" blazer is almost certainly licensed crap, unless it's *very* recent.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliterativerevival
So, this is mostly to say "hi," and to thank the collective wisdom of this forum. I'm still working through pages, like, 500-800, but with only 500-odd pages under my belt, I feel like I've taken a master-class in thrifting. I just changed jobs, and I built a business-casual wardrobe for like $150, including like forty ties.

Welcome to the thread, and welcome to SF.

I think a lot of us feel that way sometimes. I think we all do whenever Frenchy posts! The main reason is that we don't bother posting the excellent condition Brooks Brothers button down we picked up because we needed another one in whatever color it was. Reading the thread will tell you what to get excited about (and what not) but remember, you get excited about it precisely because it isn't normal. Someone finds something amazing everyday, but it isn't the same person every day. If you're building a wardrobe, buy what you need for right now, don't refuse to buy anything that isn't worth posting here. (If it is about flipping, that is a different story.) That's the conclusion I've come to anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads