• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wallet/Money Clip Advice

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little background first

1. I hate thick wallets. Everyone I own is less thick than a say moto Razr.
2. Currently I am using a combination of a regular wallet with ID window as cash compartment or a 'money clip wallet' which I prefer for most day to day.
3. I dont really use cash, but I do always carry some with me
4. I am going to Las Vegas in may for a big convention. I am going to be dressed formal and then classy casual.
5. My problem with both of my current set up's is that even with minimal cards the regular style wallet is too big, but the money clip set up doesnt give me any room for business cards (which I really need to have on me for vegas)

That said, I picked up ben sherman 'mini wallet' at TJ the other day. Its got an ID window, and plenty of room for both Credit and Business cards, (but no cash), while still being very slim ( slightly more robust than a 'card' wallet you might see). I was going to get a money clip to go along with this for my cash (which wont come out too much).

Thoughts on my setup, comments on your own setup, and thoughts on a money clip (leather vs. metal).

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Thoughts on my setup, comments on your own setup, and thoughts on a money clip (leather vs. metal).
I got one of these a few months ago. It's not perfect, but it's a good compromise. It carries a lot more than a money clip, and it's much thinner than a regular wallet.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/catalo...ds&PLOID=43815

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Conrad

Reaction score
When making contacts I always carry a dedicated money clip for cash, a thin wallet for plastic and ID, and a card case. It involves keeping track of 3 pieces, but you don't get the unsightly wallet bulge and it keeps everything in order.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate wallets, I carry a card case and have been supremely happy with how thin it is. Plus it keeps me from carrying useless cards I don't need. All I have is my ID, a medical insurance card and my AMEX. Then I have a small amount of cash in the center pocket.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using thin card wallets for a long time. ID, debit, credit, minimal cash.

Old one on the left with ID window.
Current one in the middle.
Future one on the right. More of a slim wallet.

imgp2245bb5.jpg

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Conrad
When making contacts I always carry a dedicated money clip for cash, a thin wallet for plastic and ID, and a card case. It involves keeping track of 3 pieces, but you don't get the unsightly wallet bulge and it keeps everything in order.

haha, I think I have a dedicated business card case I will use for the convention, this was more for after, when we are at the parties and such.

And Josh+Vegas+3 items like that = Josh at the strip club trying to make it rain wtih my business cards cause I lost everything else!!!

Conrad

Reaction score
Well, when not at a convention/business meeting situation I carry a clip and a card case. Keep my plastic/ID in the card case with a couple cards and cash in a clip.

Biggest issue I have keeping track of is what is where. I nearly always lay everything out on my nightstand before going to sleep, but if I don't it's mass confusion in the morning getting everything back to where it needs to be.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Fossil brushed money clip at the outlet yesterday for 4.99. (and a watch I had been looking for cheap) that will work. I should post up a picture of my set up.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Fossil brushed money clip at the outlet yesterday for 4.99. (and a watch I had been looking for cheap) that will work. I should post up a picture of my set up.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people have wallets with ID windows? When you have to show an ID, who doesn't make you take it out of the wallet?

I use a slim credit card holder in my left pant pocket, a money clip in the right pant pocket, and business cards in the suit jacket. I split it up so it stays slim.

hangten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Why do people have wallets with ID windows? When you have to show an ID, who doesn't make you take it out of the wallet?

I use a slim credit card holder in my left pant pocket, a money clip in the right pant pocket, and business cards in the suit jacket. I split it up so it stays slim.

The building I work in requires that you show your ID everytime you walk in/our or you will be denied entry. Since I assume most of us wear different pants everyday, it is possible to leave your ID in a pair that you wore previously. Anyway, this happened to me all the time. So I have a wallet with an ID window on the inside so that I can flash my ID like a badge. I also only carry a few pieces of plastic in there like a DL and a couple of CCs. Otherwise, I have a nice plain sterling silver money clip engraved with my initials for paper currenncy.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangten
The building I work in requires that you show your ID everytime you walk in/our or you will be denied entry. Since I assume most of us wear different pants everyday, it is possible to leave your ID in a pair that you wore previously. Anyway, this happened to me all the time. So I have a wallet with an ID window on the inside so that I can flash my ID like a badge. I also only carry a few pieces of plastic in there like a DL and a couple of CCs. Otherwise, I have a nice plain sterling silver money clip engraved with my initials for paper currenncy.
I understand the concept of showing ID. But I've yet to walk through a security line where the guard thought it was OK to leave the ID in the wallet. Usually they make you take it out to see it closer...you know just in case you've decided to photoshop yourself and change your name from Osama to Johnny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics