• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Edward Green is back....at GVH

Moss

Reaction score
Slow trigger finger. Just missed out on the Sterns in size 9. Anyone here get them?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This looks like that C&J cordovan boot from a few years back (which I'm still seeking; this isn't my size), but the pic doesn't convince me that this particular one is shell.

Looks like some interesting new models popped up today. That'll teach me to go out to dinner.

Albert60

Reaction score
Because retail is $695 and due to the appearance of the leather in the picture I'm pretty sure the Westbourne is Calfskin. The McCallum(retail $950) chukka is Shell.

I wonder what C&J lasts they're on.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Were there mccallums in a range of sizes earlier today?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The Westbournes look very much like calf to me, too.

I don't think the McCallums were available in that many sizes. I only saw two when I checked, but some may have sold by then.

Thanks, Doc. Those other boots weren't called the Westbourne either, as I recall. But otherwise, they're strikingly similar.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there were several sizes in the black grants. i passed perhaps foolishly. don't remember what there was but a good selection of sizes was available from what i remember.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Sheldon monkstraps in brown are more like EG's dark oak or a EG burnt pine? Hard to tell from the pics. I would guess it's a dark brown.

MLR

Reaction score
I'm beggin' for a pair of 11.5 Grants in any color - I have 11.5 EG Mackays (tan), 11.5 CJ Sheldons (brown) and 11.5 CJ Tellmans (brown) on the way as trade bait if anyone's interested (PM me). Obviously any $ difference will be accounted for appropriately...

Albert60

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Were there mccallums in a range of sizes earlier today?

There were about 5-6 available sizes when I bought a pair (13). I can't remember if there were 12s or not.

Albert60

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Does anyone know if the Sheldon monkstraps in brown are more like EG's dark oak or a EG burnt pine? Hard to tell from the pics. I would guess it's a dark brown.

I own a pair (though haven't worn them yet) and they're dark brown.

The depth and antiquing of the dark oak Grant is superior [at least from what I can remember when I briefly owned a too small size.]

Nevertheless, the Sheldon's leather quality seems very good and I would bet a lot could be done to enhance the antiquing and coloring.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
are these prices good enough that it would be foolish to pass on them?

Yes, but they're also expensive enough that it would be foolish to buy them if you didn't love 'em.

Last go 'round, IIRC, some of the EGs were around $380. But since then, the dollar has tanked, and Ralph seems to have cut back on, if not eliminated, the English-made shoes. I had thought the previous GVH sale might be the last, but here we are again. The moral, I guess, is that we have no idea what will happen in the future, or whether we'll see better prices somewhere down the line. I'm skeptical we will, but what do I know?

All that said, these prices are substantially less than the EG sale prices, at least with the dollar's current standing. If you see something you like, and it fits in the budget, it's a good deal.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
are these prices good enough that it would be foolish to pass on them?

I think they are very good prices. Polo hasn't had a good selection of discounted EG made shoes in almost a year, and based on what I've heard around here, it's not likely to make a come back.

In the past people have had good luck getting some of the shoes offered by GVH in the last couple of days cheaper by trying their luck on ebay.

But I say if you see a size, color and model you like, screw ebay.

And for the quality shoe you get, these prices are damn good. Real questions are if you can afford to buy them and whether you like the style.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
In the past people have had good luck getting some of the shoes offered by GVH in the last couple of days cheaper by trying their luck on ebay.

I noticed that GVH has started listing the shoes only a few bucks cheaper than the BIN. I don't recall them doing that previously -- did they? If not, it might mean less opportunity for snagging them later at a much better price. GVH might clear out the remainders with lower starts, but over the last couple of days, they've only upped the price. Must be pent-up demand or something.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads