• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Happy Birthday to Me.... And the insides: I might hold onto this one for my 50th in 2021. Or maybe my 40th? It's a magnum so it should age a bit slower than a 750ml.
Happy Birthday! They say that people who drink magnums are happier....

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
**** are taking a break, they've been bouncing for a long while.

I prefer the watch! Not a real fan of the avatars that make SF feel like an issue of Maxim (or edmorel's, which make it seem like an issue of Penthouse).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to say I agree....

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Finally arrived today. It is three bottles deep and looms over everything in my laundry room. No cracks about the dusty light fixture...I'm too soft on the cleaning lady I guess.

DSC00436.jpg

Partially filled. That's about 18 cases in there!

DSC00434.jpg

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^^^ I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that that probably won't fit into my <$500 budget for my parent's anniversary gift. Damn!!!

Seriously though,
worship.gif
that is nice.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Vinotemp E600-3, very nice. Does it only hold Magnums on the top shelf?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
A Vinotemp E600-3, very nice. Does it only hold Magnums on the top shelf?

The top two will hold mags and Champaign style bottles. The only mag in there so far is the one I have pictured above, sitting on the left in its presentation box
smile.gif

Good spotting on the model too
smile.gif

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ So now not only are you "out of the closet" as a wine weenie, you bought the freakin' closet!
laugh.gif

chang

Reaction score
Just bought a bottle each of Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10. I'm pretty excited.
bounce2.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Never underestimate what you can buy at CostCo. Did you know it is the biggest retailer of fine wines in the country now? Also, as a warning, do not think that just because it's for sale at CostCo, it is a good deal. Know what you are buying!

DSC00442.jpg

The Mitolo got 95 pts from Wine Spectator, putting it in the "classic" category, or a wine of outstanding character and taste. McLaren Vale is sourcing some in-effing-credible grapes these days. This wine should age well until 2020.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Criminey...I wish I had one of these stores around. How do you find the Seghesio?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Criminey...I wish I had one of these stores around. How do you find the Seghesio?

My first bottle of it. My wife is a bit of a zin fan, and Turley is out go to zin. She just wanted to try something different and we've heard/read it's a nice QPR. Could be a year or so until I pop it, but I'll let you know then
smile.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought and tried Maker's Mark for the first time. I find it an incredibly sweet whiskey compared to what I've had before. I must say I prefer Woodford Reserve, in my limited bourbon experience, though there is an obvious price difference. I think $30 tends to be the sweet spot for most liquors, at least for me.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was refund time, so I went and had a little fun on a portion of it -- unfortunately my favorite store was out of stock on many items of interest, and my favorite rep was out. All the same I splurged a little more than I intended. Spirits wise -- a bottle of the boutique Junipero Gin, Mandarin Napoleon, and a supposedly half-decent Calvados, plus a few bottles of mixing grade spirit to restock. I kept to my word and did not buy any Scotch (even though the Syrah aged Mortlach was tempting me, as was an older Littlemill and a Cragganmore 29). Wine-wise, I grabbed twenty-five or so bottles and am pretty much stocked to capacity (plans for the cellar are underway). Notable were a decent Chateauneuf, Pouilly-Fuisse, Montrachet, some Alsatian and Pfalz Riesling, and 2001 Sauternes from Guirard and DesFargues.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
My first bottle of it. My wife is a bit of a zin fan, and Turley is out go to zin. She just wanted to try something different and we've heard/read it's a nice QPR. Could be a year or so until I pop it, but I'll let you know then
smile.gif

I enjoy Zins as well, and have had that wine some years ago. I recall that I enjoyed it -- picked up a pair today as well, and '05 and an '04. We should compare when the time comes. ~ Huntsman

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Huntsman:

Sounds like quite a day for purchases! I do hear the 05 was better in that zin than my 06. Time shall tell. We heard a new store opened recently on the other side of town and plan to explore it next weekend. I doubt we will purchase 25 bottles, but I hope to make a few buys. I also just ordered a three pack of Syrah and a three pack of "Haut Tubbee", or hot tub, wine from Stefania Wine ( www.stefaniawine.com ) and that should be shipping in soon.

The Haut Tubbee is funny. It is named in honor of the first 50 vines the couple planted...by their hot tub. I highly recommend their Uvas Creek Cab Sab. The sad thing is, it never hit the stores and is all sold out. I got three bottles though
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads