• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I rather like the vaguely psychedelic Brave New World.
+1 I actually wouldn't mind living in Brave New World, provided that I got to take part in the Soma-induced orgies. 1984 was supposedly a ripoff of a book that I can't recall at the moment.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
Oh dear, this could take the thread in a whole new direction.
smile.gif

Well, not necessarily. If you're objecting to the premise of the book, then yes a hijack would be nearly unavoidable, and it would be best to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
smile.gif

However, if you feel that his writing has become leaden with the self-imposed weight of his task, or you think he's beating the same horse over and over, then no, there's no new direction here. The book doesn't sparkle like his Clinton and Kissinger books, I think he's tried to make it more substantial, and instead turned his normal golden prose into lead.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I bought The Rum Diary and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...decided to get acquainted w/ Hunter's work but I can't seem to find his books anywhere, and even then these were the only two i found in one of the better bookstores in this town. Am reading Rum Diary right now and it's pretty incredible, i love this style of writing. The part of humanity he portrays...let's just say i'm pretty fascinated with that kinda stuff.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm reading 'Down and Out in Paris and London', also by George Orwell. I quite like it. Some of the things he writes remind me of LabelKing:

"But i imagine the customers at the Hotel X were especially easy to swindle, for they were Americans, and seemed to know nothing whatsoever about good food. They would stuff themselves with disgusting American 'cereals', and eat marmalade at tea, and drink vermouth after dinner, and order a poulet a la reine at a hundred francs and then souse it in Worcester sauce.

One customer, from Pittsburgh, dined every night in his bedroom on grape-nuts, scrambled eggs, and cocoa. Perhaps it hardly matters whether such people are swindled or not"
laugh.gif

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...For the first time i noticed, too, how the attitude of women varies with a man's clothes. When a badly dressed man passes them they shudder away from him with a quite frank movement of disgust, as though he were a dead cat. Clothes are powerful things..."

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
I'm reading 'Down and Out in Paris and London', also by George Orwell. I quite like it. Some of the things he writes remind me of LabelKing:

"But i imagine the customers at the Hotel X were especially easy to swindle, for they were Americans, and seemed to know nothing whatsoever about good food. They would stuff themselves with disgusting American 'cereals', and eat marmalade at tea, and drink vermouth after dinner, and order a poulet a la reine at a hundred francs and then souse it in Worcester sauce.

One customer, from Pittsburgh, dined every night in his bedroom on grape-nuts, scrambled eggs, and cocoa. Perhaps it hardly matters whether such people are swindled or not"
laugh.gif

Wow, that really is LK. I must read this book, not because of the LK thing necessarily, but it helps.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Life of Pi

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...For the first time i noticed, too, how the attitude of women varies with a man's clothes. When a badly dressed man passes them they shudder away from him with a quite frank movement of disgust, as though he were a dead cat. Clothes are powerful things..."

i love this line and want so much to believe that it is true...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Lying around my table is the new Peter Carey, His Illegal Self, which I am dying to get into.
I didn't even realize he had a new one out, thanks for the heads-up. That man is prolific. I'm a fan of his work, although I did not think Theft was one of his best.
Originally Posted by crush
1984 by george orwell

:

With Orwell, I would rank both Animal Farm and Keep The Aspidistra Flying (two very different works) ahead of 1984, although the latter is obviously iconic. I have not read "Down and Out", but it sounds like I may have to.
smile.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I didn't even realize he had a new one out, thanks for the heads-up. That man is prolific. I'm a fan of his work, although I did not think Theft was one of his best.

With Orwell, I would rank both Animal Farm and Keep The Aspidistra Flying (two very different works) ahead of 1984, although the latter is obviously iconic. I have not read "Down and Out", but it sounds like I may have to.
smile.gif

Homage to Catalonia?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads