• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking care of my facial skin

ap0488

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
First, dont listen to anyone who reccomends Cetaphil.

Second, read some of the articals posted under "read" on the left.
http://www.menessentials.com/

Why not use Cetaphil???

I used Cetaphil for the longest time and still like it better than a lot of the facial moisturizers out there.

Sauwan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
I'm not a dermatologist -- don't even play one on TV -- but I'm pretty sure that razor bumps and ingrown hairs are the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudofolliculitis_barbae

I guess my distinction between an ingrown hair and razor bumps would be of that between transfollicular and extrafollicular. If you've ever had or seen a transfollicular hair, you would not associate them with razor bumps, but I guess technically you are correct.

Sauwan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
that wouldn't make much sense as it seems razor bumps are often almost instantaneous after shaving.

The reason this is, is due to the way the blades are designed to work. The first blade on the mach 3 and similar blades is not a *cut* but to pull out the hair. The second blade then slices the extended hair to give a really close cut. However, what this ends up doing is causing the cut hair to retract back under the skin and cause irritation - hence razor bumps. That's why I suggest moving away from the triple bladed systems to a double edge blade which only cuts with one blade every pass. It (technically) requires more passes to get the same close shave, (if I'm in a hurry one pass is more than plenty and no one will be able to tell the difference without touching my face, however if you go with multiple passes you can get it baby skin smooth which just isn't possible otherwise) but it really reduces irritation.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sauwan
I guess my distinction between an ingrown hair and razor bumps would be of that between transfollicular and extrafollicular. If you've ever had or seen a transfollicular hair, you would not associate them with razor bumps, but I guess technically you are correct.
Sorry if I came across as being a contrarian, Sauwan. I should have ended my last post by saying that when it comes right down to it, you and I are making the same recommendation, which is that he experiment with different methods of shaving.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by egoiste
Your daily regimen should consist of something like this (ideally):

Morning:
1. Exfoliate -- use a daily exfoliator (if you don't shave everyday, then adjust accordindly) to prep for shaving. A daily exfoliator will be less harsh (there will be a lot more cleanser than beads) than a specialized /weekly scrub which you should use 2-3 times a week. Exfoliating basically means to remove remove older skin cells and reveal younger skin cells thus making your face looking softer, younger.

Egoiste,

Do you not use a face wash every day? Just an exfoliator?

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by egoiste
Your daily regimen should consist of something like this (ideally):

Morning:
1. Exfoliate -- use a daily exfoliator (if you don't shave everyday, then adjust accordindly) to prep for shaving. A daily exfoliator will be less harsh (there will be a lot more cleanser than beads) than a specialized /weekly scrub which you should use 2-3 times a week. Exfoliating basically means to remove remove older skin cells and reveal younger skin cells thus making your face looking softer, younger.
2. Shaving cream/gel for shaving -- to ease shaving.
3. Moisturize -- very crucial as a good moisturizer will soften your skin and over time re-texturize your skin and make it softer. Make sure to look for "oil-free" so it won't clog your pores and make your skin even oilier.
4. Sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher) -- very important as more than half of skin damage is from the sun. Wear it even on cloudy days and when you know you will be outside for more than 15 minutes. Sunscreen will save your skin from discoloration, uneveness and wrinkles. Sun damage (even 15-30 minutes day to day damage that occurs) eventually will take its toll on your skin, though it may take years to see its effects.

Night:
1. Cleanse face -- use a basic cleanser, I would suggest something oil-free as well.
2. Moisturize -- I would recommend using a night cream as it will both moisturize and exfoliate. Something with an AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) as this will help with your uneveness in skin tone and bumpiness.

Special Products:
These products are optional and not part of the basic skin care regimen, but will definitely help with your skin look its best.
1. Clay Mask (to reduce oiliness/blackheads, minimize look of pores) -- if you use this over a long period of time, you will see a huge difference in your skin tone, clarity and texture. Your pores will also be less visible and a lot smaller. Use 2-3 times a week.
2. Eye cream -- If used regularly, this can help with undereyes issues such as puffiness, dark circles and wrinkles.
3. Toner -- I consider this an optional product personally, though some would disagree. I used to use a toner, but it was just too much of a hassle and I don't care for it anymore. Used after cleansing and before moisturzing, this will restore your skin ph's balance and make moisturizing more effective.

Some other things to note. Wash your face only twice a day, more if needed (if you work out/exercise, the environment you are in is particuarly dirty that day), once in the morning then once at night. Cleansing it more than twice a day will strip your skin of its natural oils and thus make it at first a lot dryer than it is, but eventually more oilier as your skin will compensate for the dryness and make extra oil.

Some brands worth exploring if you are new to skin care: Baxter of California, Anthony's Logistics, Jack Black, Urth. They are all formulated for men specifically.

I use a basic ph balanced cleanser (Dan Kern's Cleanser), Neutrogena Men SPF 15 for a moisturizer and sunscreen, Baxter of California AHA Enriched Night Cream, Menaji 911 Eye Gel and a basic spa clay mask from time to time. I used to have a lot of acne scars, uneveness in my skin tone (some parts were darker than others), and the texture was a lot rougher, but since using a skin care regimen it has definitely helped a lot. I hope this helps!
smile.gif

Like the others aforementioned, visit
1. http://www.menessentials.com -- has a 'basic' training guide to the left which can answer any questions you have on skin care. sells lots of brands and offers free shipping, samples.
and
2. http://www.menskincaretips.com/blog/ -- a skin care blog for men. offers reviews of skin care products and answers questions on general skin care issues.
smile.gif

I replaced my Acne-free cleanser with a cleanser with glycolic acid. My aesthetician suggest glycolic night cream also. I think I might be overdoing it. I also use retina .1% every three days. What do you think?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
I replaced my Acne-free cleanser with a cleanser with glycolic acid. My aesthetician suggest glycolic night cream also. I think I might be overdoing it. I also use retina .1% every three days. What do you think?

If your face is constantly dried out and irritated, you're overdoing it. If it's not, your not.

Karo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crease
Try to not touch or pick at your face. I'm not sure if you do this or not, but you'd be surprised at how often people do this without realizing it. It'll make your face greasier and dirtier.

I agree. My colleague who sits across from me picks at his freaking chin all day, and thats the only spot on his face that looks like hell.

So don't touch yourself
lol8[1].gif

I recommend Biotherm moisturizer for men. I've been using it for a month now and I liked it plus it has a nice fragrance. I have your same "too oily & too dry skin" and this product gives me the balance.

xmx250

Reaction score
thanks for all the responses!

i'll look into some of these things. Any more specifics on getting rid of blackheads etc...?

i think someone mentioned a clay mask.

Also what are the sotres that i should be buying this stuff. I dont want to buy from somwhere expensive

xmx250

Reaction score
I just took a quick look around menessentials.com, wow so many products to choose from. i dont know where to start.

i guess i need.

cleaner
exfoliator
clay
moisturizer

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy some new things. I think I have normal-to-oily skin, so I'd like some input on the following: Men-u Cleanser Ritual Blade Antiseptic The above are because I have suffered from staph bacteria on the face, so I need to kill that. Then, the Dan Kern cleanser. I'm hoping my routine can be: Baxter Herbal Mint cleanser in the morning Dan Kern at night Kiehl's Exfoliator before shaving Ritual antiseptic on the blade Men-u ultra-concentrate after the shave Baxter moisturizer I use Benzoyl Peroxide for acne but that has subsided a lot lately. I'm thinking that I can ween off of that if I can come up with another routine. Should I purchase another exfoliator, something that I can use every morning? And, I have to wash my face during the workday as well, as it gets oily then. I have a lot of Acne scars that I'd like to start taking care of; I'm prepared to spend some money to improve the skin on my face. I've scoured MenEssentials but aside from the Men-u and the Ritual, I don't know what else to buy, nor when to use it. and if I keep on the Triaz (benzoyl peroxide), how to I work that in. Plus, I have a differin prescription that I use at night, so I can't use a clay mask or moisturize then.

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xmx250
I just took a quick look around menessentials.com, wow so many products to choose from. i dont know where to start.

Read the articles in the Read section on the left or the Grooming Guides at the top first before purchasing. He's included lots of useful material there.

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
i still say the facials work miracles, ...over time that is

egoiste

Reaction score
Whoops, sorry for the long reply! I've been a little busy with school and work.

Young Scrappy -- Yes to what Brian278 wrote. As long as your face doesn't seem irritated or dry, go ahead and use the cleanser and cream. Make sure to also use a daily SPF to protect your skin from sun damage due to the use of the glycolic acid.

xmx250 -- Men Essentials charges no shipping for their products and the prices are about the same anywhere else online.

There are a variety of brands and prices out there for skin care. You can buy brands that target men specifically (Baxter of California, Zirth, Urth, Men Science, Jack Black), mainstream brands that you can virtually anywhere (Neutrogena Men, L'oreal Men, Nivea) or designer skin care (Shiseido Men, Dior Homme Dermo System, Givenchy Homme, Prada Men, Lancome Homme). If you are on a tight budget, you can always try out the mainstream brands.

Sites to consider:
-www.drugstore.com -- go to the men's skin care section
- http://www.mugonline.com -- some products are cheaper here than other sites.
-http://sophee.com -- good selection of products.

As for clay masks, I recommend one that contains kaolin clay and If you suffer from acne and blemishes, DDF Sulfur Acne Mask is an amazing product and is my favorite mask. Sulfur alleviates the size and redness of existing acne and prevents future pimples from forming due to the clay absorbing the oil. However, it is quite expensive (4oz for about $34). You can use it as a spot treatment for pimples or a weekly mask. Olay (Olay Deep Cleansing Clay Mask) has a good mask that sells for about $6. You can also go to stores like TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls and buy general spa clay masks for around $3-7. Look for kaolin clay, bentonite, seaweed, kelp, etc. in the ingredients list of clay masks. These ingredients are needed for an effective weekly mask (tighten pores, rid oil, alleviate skin).

blank -- A word of advice for the benzoyl peroxide (BP). If you don't use bp as a routine, your acne can come back. I would try to do the same thing once I saw results on my face, but weeks later, I would have pimples here and there. An alternative can be tea tree oil (TTO) as TTO has antiseptic and antibacterial properties which can clear the skin of acne scars and blemishes. TTO isn't as effective as BP and it takes longer to work, but it is a safer alternative to bp as bp has been shown to age your face quicker due to the release of free radicals. Plus, it's really harsh and drying on your face. I'm using TTO now after using BP for about 2 years and it's been working. Secondly, salicylic acid may be another alternative, though it is still quite harsh on skin.

As for washing your face during the day, make sure to re-moisturize. An alternative to washing your face can be using a toner to refresh your face. Use a cotton pad and wipe your face with it removing the dirt and debris (and you'll see lots of it on the pad afterwards!). You can also use oil removing strips (Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets) and use them on oily areas.

For acne scars, there are a variety of options. Chemical peels are costly ($500+), but are effective on mild acne scars and you would need to go to a professional doctor to do so. This basically removes the upper layer of your skin.

You can also go the natural route, though they are less effective and may take longer to work. However, they are the cheapest route! Some natural alternatives are:

1) Aloe vera--apply topically as a gel or drink aloe vera juice.
2) Lemon juice--bleaches skin: apply topically (1-2x a day) only on acne scars with a cotton pad, let stand for 10-15 minutes, rinse with water. Lemon juice is a natural alpha hydroxy acid. Thus, it can be overdrying and sting skin.
3) Cucumbers -- apply cucumber juice topically over entire face with a cotton pad and leave on skin overnight. Not as harsh as lemon juice and thus can be used over entire face.

Lastly, you can purchase products in creams or gels ($30+). Look for ingredients in products such as kojic acid, licorice extract, vitamin c, vitamin a, retinol, glycolic acid, lactic acid, hydroquinone, azelaic acid, mulberry extracts, etc.

Some products: Murad's Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel, Lancome BRIGHT EXPERT - Intense Brightening Spot Correcting Serum, Dior DiorSnow Pure UV Ultra-Whitening Spot Corrector SPF 30 , PH Advantage Boosters: Pigmentation Fader, Clarins Bright Plus HP On-the-Spot Brightening Corrector, Peter Thomas Roth Potent Skin Lightening Gel Complex (also comes in a gentle formula), DDF-Doctor's Dermatologic Formula Fade Gel 4, Korres Wild Rose Imperfection-Targeting Oil, Shiseido White Lucent Concentrated Brightening Serum.

Finally, for your skin care regimen. Simply adjust accordingly. If you use differin at night, then a night cream isn't needed. Focus on the morning regimen the most and preventing acne and sun damage. For BP, I put on BP and wait about 10 minutes until it sinks into my skin, then put on my sunscreen and/or nightcream.

I hope this helps!

And yes TheRealAshland, facials work miracles! Practicing good skin care regimen along with adding special needs such as facials certainly help your skin look its best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads